3rd ed conversions for Dark Sun monsters

Athas and the sorcerer-kings.
The Book-House: Find Dark Sun products.

Moderator: Idabrius

3rd ed conversions for Dark Sun monsters

Postby waylander39 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:15 pm

Is there anywhere I can find 3/3.5 conversions for the Dark Sun monsters?
waylander39
Troll

Re: 3rd ed conversions for Dark Sun monsters

Postby Philosopher » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:17 am

Dungeon issues 110 and 111 had 3.5 conversions of DS monsters. You should be able to get the PDFs from Paizo.

EDIT: Yes, here is 110 and here is 111.
- Selman
Philosopher
Cloud Giant

Postby waylander39 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:46 pm

Cheers for that, I'll add those to the ever expanding shopping list. Do you know how complete the conversions are? Have all the monsters from the 2nd ed Dark Sun supplements made it across or just some of them?
waylander39
Troll

Postby Philosopher » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:47 pm

waylander39 wrote:Do you know how complete the conversions are? Have all the monsters from the 2nd ed Dark Sun supplements made it across or just some of them?

Let me take a look...

Issue 110 begins with a list (spanning two pages) of a whole bunch of monsters that are "right at home in a Dark Sun campaign", and also gives the source. It says that some are conversions and others are new creatures that should work in the setting. At a glance, I see that it draws from the Monster Manual, the Expanded Psionics Handbook, Manual of the Planes, and Monster Manual II. The list also includes creatures printed in Dungeon 110 and Dungeon 111. I won't type up the whole list, but here's a list of the creatures actually found in these issues:

From 110: baazrag, boneclaw baazrag, cilops, cinderbrute, cloudscout, critic lizard, crodlu, floater, gith, speckled hurrum, inix, jankx, kank, kes'trekel, mekillot, mulworm, pterrax, ramphor, sand howler, sandknight, spineworm, wavearcher, and z'tal.

From 111: belgoi, dune reaper, earthdelver, erdlu, firesnake, fordorran, gaj, jhakar, lirr, mastyrial, rainrunner, rasclinn, razorwing, seskarran, windraptor, yallix, and zhackal.
- Selman
Philosopher
Cloud Giant

Postby waylander39 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:21 pm

Thanks Philosopher, that's a really big help :D , I'll compare that list to my 2e monstrous compendium supplements and see how many made the jump.
waylander39
Troll

Postby Big Mac » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:42 pm

waylander39 wrote:Is there anywhere I can find 3/3.5 conversions for the Dark Sun monsters?

Have you downloaded Terrors of Athas from The Burnt World of Athas (the official Dark Sun website). That has 200 monsters in it! 8-)

(Keep your eyes out for a revised version of Terrors of Athas at some point. According to the Creature Catalogue forum there are five unconverted Dark Sun creatures.)

waylander39 wrote:Cheers for that, I'll add those to the ever expanding shopping list. Do you know how complete the conversions are? Have all the monsters from the 2nd ed Dark Sun supplements made it across or just some of them?

You need to get over to the Creature Catalogue forum and download the latest version of Echohawk's Complete D&D Monster Index. That contains all the known D&D monsters and all the known D&D monster conversions, so if two websites have been doing Dark Sun monsters, you will be able to track the lot down. (It also has 2e, 1e, 0e monsters in it.) Echohawk updates his index on a regular basis and "conversion hunters" send him in links to any conversions he has missed.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby waylander39 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:44 pm

Got my hands on the monster list from Athas.org and downloaded Echohawks list. Thanks for the help Big Mac.
waylander39
Troll

Postby Big Mac » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:09 am

waylander39 wrote:Got my hands on the monster list from Athas.org and downloaded Echohawks list. Thanks for the help Big Mac.

No problem waylander39.

I'll be very glad when all the 3rd editions conversions of all the monsters from all the campaign settings are done! :D IMHO, WotC should only bring out a new edition of D&D, when they have finished the previous one (and drunk their weak lemon drink :P ).
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Return to Dark Sun