[3e] Has anyone ever played Arcane Age with 3rd edition?

Netheril: flying cities, ancient scrolls written on gold leaf, and just a little bit of hubris.

[3e] Has anyone ever played Arcane Age with 3rd edition?

Postby Big Mac » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:27 pm

I haven't bought Lost Empires of Faerun yet, so am not sure if it contains everything from the Arcane Age product line.

But I quite like the Arcane Age era and, at some point, would love to be involved (player or GM) in a retro-FR campaign that has the uber-magic feel of Arcane Age (as well as the old school Toril and the old gods).

Has anyone here played in the Arcane Age era (either under 2e or 3e)?

How did you find the game? Did the uber magic thing break (or stretch) the D&D rules or did that all work out OK?

Ideally, I'd like to get a response from someone who has played Arcane Age era games with both 2e and 3e, but any answer would be good. So if that is you, I have another question: Does Lost Empires of Faerun convert all of the spells and magic from the Arcane Age? If not, are there any fan conversions on the Internet?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [3e] Has anyone ever played Arcane Age with 3rd edition?

Postby waylander39 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:29 pm

Wow that's a lot of questions. Not sure if I can help out with all of them but I'll do what i can.

I've played in a couple of 2e games where the party were transported to the Arcane Ages both of Cormanthyr and Netheril and it has to be said they went pretty well. Our party didn't find the uber magic too much of a hassle but then again it probably has a lot to do with the GM adn how well they run the scenario and the inherent problems of arcane age play. I really enjoyed the high magic feel of the settings and although our visits there were brief it did leave me yearning for more.

I do have Lost Empires of Faerun which is a fairly recent addition to my collection so I haven't read through all of it yet but from what I've seen so far what you get is chapters giving an overview of the various ancient lands, Cormanthyr, netheril, Unther, Mulhorand, the Shoon Imperium, the Old North, the High Forest and the area around Illefarn. Each of these chapters gives a brief history, important sites and adventure hooks. In addition there are ancient feats, prestige classes, ancient spells (but they're not the 10th lvl ones you may be looking for). There's also a chapter on Ancient gods and a discussion on epic magic (which is probably the 10th lvl spells) and a chapter on artifacts and magic items from the era. Lastly there's a fairly sizeable chapter on monsters. It's not a patch on the Arcane age products from 2nd ed but it does provide a useful starting point for converting those products across to 3e and is certainly worth having IMO.

Hope that helps!! :D
waylander39
Troll

Postby Big Mac » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:46 am

waylander39 wrote:Hope that helps!! :D

That certainly does help. Thanks for taking the time to tell me about your game. It sounded like it was a lot of fun.

Have you ever seen anything about Telantiwar: Land of the Drow the unpublished Arcane Age product?

All I know about that one is that it was mentioned on Candlepower by George Krashos in the Questions for Ed Greenwood (2004) thread.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby night_druid » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:20 pm

Big Mac wrote:Have you ever seen anything about Telantiwar: Land of the Drow the unpublished Arcane Age product?

All I know about that one is that it was mentioned on Candlepower by George Krashos in the Questions for Ed Greenwood (2004) thread.

Huh, never heard of that one. I know that Steve wanted to do the dwarf empire under the Tethyr instead of Delzoun. I wish he had been allowed to take the Arcane Age further...sounds like he had ideas for a whole series of kick-arse products ;)
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:27 am

night_druid wrote:I know that Steve wanted to do the dwarf empire under the Tethyr instead of Delzoun. I wish he had been allowed to take the Arcane Age further...sounds like he had ideas for a whole series of kick-arse products ;)

Lately, I'm reading again and again that really interesting D&D ideas were cancelled, despite plans to expand on those ideas. I used to think that TSR had commissioned an RPG product and then used sales figures to decide if they wanted to commission the next one. But it seems clear that the RPG R&D teams were continuously adding to the original concept, but were being shut down part way into the development process.

There must be a ton of really interesting, but unfinished, R&D files sitting in storage somewhere.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby night_druid » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:04 am

Big Mac wrote:Lately, I'm reading again and again that really interesting D&D ideas were cancelled, despite plans to expand on those ideas. I used to think that TSR had commissioned an RPG product and then used sales figures to decide if they wanted to commission the next one. But it seems clear that the RPG R&D teams were continuously adding to the original concept, but were being shut down part way into the development process.

There must be a ton of really interesting, but unfinished, R&D files sitting in storage somewhere.

You know, we should sticky a thread with links & details to known & rumored canceled products. :)
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:59 am

night_druid wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Lately, I'm reading again and again that really interesting D&D ideas were cancelled, despite plans to expand on those ideas. I used to think that TSR had commissioned an RPG product and then used sales figures to decide if they wanted to commission the next one. But it seems clear that the RPG R&D teams were continuously adding to the original concept, but were being shut down part way into the development process.

You know, we should sticky a thread with links & details to known & rumored canceled products. :)

How is this: Unpublished/cancelled/lost D&D products? :D
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby night_druid » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:08 pm

Big Mac wrote:How is this: Unpublished/cancelled/lost D&D products? :D

Sweet. :mrgreen:
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Return to Arcane Age