Arcane Age's relationship to The Forgotten Realms

Netheril: flying cities, ancient scrolls written on gold leaf, and just a little bit of hubris.

Arcane Age's relationship to The Forgotten Realms

Postby Hugin » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:48 pm

What is Arcane Age's relationship to the Forgotten Realms? Is it a certain time? A particular region? An alternate timeline?

Help out someone who knows nothing about. :?:
Hugin
Green Dragon

Re: Arcane Age's relationship to The Forgotten Realms

Postby night_druid » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:01 pm

Hugin wrote:What is Arcane Age's relationship to the Forgotten Realms? Is it a certain time? A particular region? An alternate timeline?

Help out someone who knows nothing about. :?:

The "Arcane Age" starts with the Rise of Netheril about 3 to 4 thousand years ago and ends with the Fall of Myth Drannor in 714 DR. Its a "golden age" of magic, when powerful magical empires dominated Faerun. It is the time that was the height of human, dwarven, and elven empires.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby waylander39 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:54 pm

In addition to night_druid's comments the nuts and bolts of the setting was a set of 4 products. There were the Netheril and Cormanthyr settings and the Fall of Myth Drannor and How the Mighty have Fallen products which covered the fall of both of the empires. They were all for the 2e AD&D game and personally I rather liked them both from a historical perspective and from an alternative to the classic setting.
waylander39
Troll

Postby Big Mac » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:32 am

Don't forget the Arcane Age novels.

What I liked about Arcane Age, was that it took some of the "epic events" from the FR timeline and created a setting where fans could see those events first hand. (There were even time travel rules, so that "present day" PCs could meet "historical NPCs".

But what I didn't like about Arcane Age, was that it concentrated on those locations that had an epic history and didn't show the entire world of Toril. (But then I'm a completist, and I'd have liked to have seen a Maztica for the Arcane Age. :D
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Seethyr » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:42 am

Big Mac wrote:
But what I didn't like about Arcane Age, was that it concentrated on those locations that had an epic history and didn't show the entire world of Toril. (But then I'm a completist, and I'd have liked to have seen a Maztica for the Arcane Age. :D

Are you still interested in seeing an Arcane Age/Maztica crossover? I never thought of this, do you have any ideas?

Maybe when the Aeree still dominated the land and Batrachi were not entirely gone? Or perhaps during the Rise of Nexal?
All Maztica Alive Netbooks Available in the Link:The Maztica Alive Campaign

Newest Book: TWC6 True World Bestiary II - Monsters A-H

Maztica Alive! Yahoo Group Join Us
Seethyr
Frost Giant

Postby Big Mac » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:48 pm

Seethyr wrote:
Big Mac wrote:But what I didn't like about Arcane Age, was that it concentrated on those locations that had an epic history and didn't show the entire world of Toril. (But then I'm a completist, and I'd have liked to have seen a Maztica for the Arcane Age. :D

Are you still interested in seeing an Arcane Age/Maztica crossover?

I'm very intersted in seeing lots of things (including this) but I don't have enough time to read all the stuff I already have. ;(

Seethyr wrote:I never thought of this, do you have any ideas?

I've got no specific ideas. Maybe when I get the Mazitca novels, I might pick up some sort of hooks that inspire me.

The one thing I know, is that I'd like to see a pre-Amnian world that had lots of things going on.

Seethyr wrote:Maybe when the Aeree still dominated the land and Batrachi were not entirely gone? Or perhaps during the Rise of Nexal?

Any lost civilisation could work for an Arcane Age thing. The main problem (for me) with Arcane Age is that it wasn't actually a single age. I didn't actually realise that when I first saw Arcane Age, but what I thought would build up into a sort of "Jurassic Toril" was actually building up into a number of different pockets of time (each of which needs to have an entire retro-Toril generated for it).

If you just use the Faerun area, that is enough work, but if you use the subsettings, there is much more to do (and if you want to use Spelljammer you need to build entire retro-Realmspace).

In some ways, I'd rather see a Maztica expansion of the Neteril stuff, than another Arcane Age. :|

Maybe, for example, the Netherese could take more of an anthropologist approch to the western continents* than the Amnians. If you were to file the serial numbers off of Stargate, you could have them arrive over some really obscure part of the continent and pass off their magic and technolgy as "proof" that they are the representatives of the Maztican gods. That might be achievable if they were to pick a number of people who were easier to sway to their cause and then use their power to kill or discredit their rivals. (And a lot of scrying might make it possible to build up the local knowledge needed to pull this off.)

If they were to take over a local civilisation, and set up their own chosen people to lead it, they could then make subtle changes in the way that society works, and slowly introduce new things that would slowly "power up" the civilisation. (That is the behavior of the Klingons from the original series of Star Trek with the serial numbers filed off. ;) )

Eventually, you could have them build up the society to the extent that they could start sending them out to defeat (and take over) other local civilisations and build up an empire, where the leaders of the civilisation are secretly their pupetts.

Of course, to avoid clashing with the existing canon, you need all of this stuff to vanish by the 1e FR era. So I guess you would have the fall of Netheril destroy the colony guiding the pupet empire and then have the pupet leaders continue on for a while, before stumbling, showing their weakness and being set upon by a number of enslaved civilisations that see that weekness as a big chance to regain their freedom.

IIRC, there was a bit of string/rope that was hidden in a lump of wood and used to help organise a South American revolt against the Spanish. I'd say that a similar sort of thing could be done to get rid of any weak Maztican empire.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Seethyr » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:56 am

I definitely need to research a bit more on this to find out how this Netheril issue could be squeezed into Maztican history. I've all but memorized the Grand History of the Realms, particularly in reference to Maztica, but I don't even want to mess with Candlekeep "canon."

This has a lot of potential and once I finish a few other projects, I'd really like to revisit it.
All Maztica Alive Netbooks Available in the Link:The Maztica Alive Campaign

Newest Book: TWC6 True World Bestiary II - Monsters A-H

Maztica Alive! Yahoo Group Join Us
Seethyr
Frost Giant

Postby Big Mac » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:33 am

Seethyr wrote:I don't even want to mess with Candlekeep "canon."

That is a very worthy goal (and it makes anything you do much easier to use by people who want to combine it with other fanon).

I'd better warn you that my idea was just brainstorming and I've not put any real research into it.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Return to Arcane Age