Time Travel Thread for FR at Candlekeep

Netheril: flying cities, ancient scrolls written on gold leaf, and just a little bit of hubris.

Time Travel Thread for FR at Candlekeep

Postby Seethyr » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:58 pm

I am pretty sure this applies here...
All Maztica Alive Netbooks Available in the Link:The Maztica Alive Campaign

Newest Book: TWC6 True World Bestiary II - Monsters A-H

Maztica Alive! Yahoo Group Join Us
Seethyr
Frost Giant

Re: Time Travel Thread for FR at Candlekeep

Postby Big Mac » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:29 pm

Interesting thread. There are time travel rules in (at least) one of the Arcane Age products, but they seem to be stating that one of the gods stopped time travel from working.

You could argue that people from the past would be unaffected by restrictions placed on time travel at a later time, as those changes had not been made in their part of the timeline. You could possibly also argue that someone could learn an uber-spell in the past and cast it at a later time.

I'm sure there would be counter arguments.

It is a complex area to deal with.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Seethyr » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:21 pm

I think the way I will handle time travel is to keep it very tightly managed. My players love to "sight see" as do I. That's part of the reason I'm such a Maztica/Horde/Utter East/Zakhara/Frostfell/Undersea/Kara-Tur and now SJ fan. Time hopping offers so much more of this ability to "explore" that we find so fun, but it could really lead to some dangerous tampering with the time stream.

In the Arcane Age adventure "How the Mighty Are Fallen" I think this was done perfectly. The PCs actions fit right in with the canonical history, but they still got to SEE Karsus bring down an empire. If they are looking to time travel again, I'd definitely try to give them a view of major events, but try to streamline their actions a little more than I usually would.

They're clever, however, and I'm sure they will somehow attempt to stop Szass Tam from growing up, stop the Spellplague, or something similar and I really need to prepare for it.
All Maztica Alive Netbooks Available in the Link:The Maztica Alive Campaign

Newest Book: TWC6 True World Bestiary II - Monsters A-H

Maztica Alive! Yahoo Group Join Us
Seethyr
Frost Giant

Postby Angel Tarragon » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:47 am

Yhere is an Outer Limits episode where a person projects their pyche into a person of the past to experience what the 'host' did at the time. Using this form of 'temporal projection' could be a good way around the time travel loophole; experience the past through another without having any control of the hosts body.
Angel R. Tarragon (aka A.R.T.)
Blog / DeviantArt / Facebook / Google+ / Letterboxd / Twitter / YouTube / See More
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:31 pm

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:Yhere is an Outer Limits episode where a person projects their pyche into a person of the past to experience what the 'host' did at the time. Using this form of 'temporal projection' could be a good way around the time travel loophole; experience the past through another without having any control of the hosts body.

That might solve Seethyr's potential problem with his players probably wanting to stop Szass Tam growing up or trying to stop the Spellplague, but it is a bit of a railroad if the PC can not actually control the actions of the bodies they are in. I can imagine the session being more like the GM reading a book for the game. :?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Angel Tarragon » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:55 pm

BTW the Outer Limits episode will be on Chiller tomorrow; check your local listings for the time and set your DVR if you want to catch it.
Angel R. Tarragon (aka A.R.T.)
Blog / DeviantArt / Facebook / Google+ / Letterboxd / Twitter / YouTube / See More
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Return to Arcane Age