Netheril: Ed vs. Slade

Netheril: flying cities, ancient scrolls written on gold leaf, and just a little bit of hubris.

Netheril: Ed vs. Slade

Postby night_druid » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:59 am

I just recently got Anauroch in auction, and finally got around to reading it. And its immediately becoming obvious that Slade's vision of Netheril is vastly different than Ed's. Some of differences I've seen thus far:

* The Narrow Sea
Ed - Runs north-south from Ascore down to somewhere near Evereska.
Slade - East-west, cutting through a mountain range.
Note - it appears they realized they screwed up on this, so reconned that it ran N-S in ancient times, then had the creator race move it.

* Spellgard
Ed - a huge citadel at the western edge of the desert, the best preserved example of Netheril's power and home to an archlich from that land.
Slade - doesn't even mention it, nor its famous inhabitant.

* Magic items
Ed - Elminster found one magic item of Netherese origin: a pumped up version of the Instant Fortress magic item. Supposedly a "weak" item from Netheril.
Slade - pseudo magic items so Netherese can live like modern americans but rarely make permanent magic items

* Netheril's Heartland
Ed - the western edge of the desert
Slade - the NE corner of the desert, with most of their power in the central & eastern parts of it.

* The Lost Kingdoms
Ed - Do no appear to have any direct relationship to Netheril.
Slade - Survivors of Netheril.

* Demihumans
Ed - Central Anauroch was home to several rich cities of dwarves, elves, and even orcs(!)
Slade - Demi-humans kept their distance from Netheril, and have little interaction with it.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Re: Netheril: Ed vs. Slade

Postby Big Mac » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:35 pm

night_druid wrote:I just recently got Anauroch in auction, and finally got around to reading it. And its immediately becoming obvious that Slade's vision of Netheril is vastly different than Ed's.

Interesting stuff. Are these the only changes or the main changes?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby night_druid » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:02 pm

Big Mac wrote:
night_druid wrote:I just recently got Anauroch in auction, and finally got around to reading it. And its immediately becoming obvious that Slade's vision of Netheril is vastly different than Ed's.

Main ones I've seen thus far. The only other thing to add to the list:

Time of Netheril's Fall:
Ed - A bit vague, but it appears that Ed's Netheril fell sometime around 600 years ago.
Slade - Puts Netheril's fall around 1,500 years ago.
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:03 am

night_druid wrote:
Big Mac wrote:

Main ones I've seen thus far. The only other thing to add to the list:

Time of Netheril's Fall:
Ed - A bit vague, but it appears that Ed's Netheril fell sometime around 600 years ago.
Slade - Puts Netheril's fall around 1,500 years ago.

That is a big difference. Far too big a difference to be a continuity error.

Did they perhaps word these definitions differently? Maybe the earliest event was the fall of Neteril as a power and the later event was the final fall of the last parts of their society.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby night_druid » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:26 am

Big Mac wrote:That is a big difference. Far too big a difference to be a continuity error.

Did they perhaps word these definitions differently? Maybe the earliest event was the fall of Neteril as a power and the later event was the final fall of the last parts of their society.

I doubt it. Ed's Netheril fell less than 500 years ago (its pretty clear in the introduction, actually), with survivors fleeing to Cormyr, Amn, and the Sword Coast cities (all of which didn't exist when Slade's Netheril fell). In Slade's version, Netheril was long dead and the desert had ceased growing by 1,000 years ago. The two just don't reconcile.
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby waylander39 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:34 pm

Hmm, would I be right in saying that WOTC used Slade's version when factoring Netheril into the 3rd ed setting and ultimately, the Shades plotline? If so it raises even more questions about Ed's vision of Netheril and how it would have fitted in to the later plotlines?
waylander39
Troll

Postby night_druid » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:05 am

waylander39 wrote:Hmm, would I be right in saying that WOTC used Slade's version when factoring Netheril into the 3rd ed setting and ultimately, the Shades plotline? If so it raises even more questions about Ed's vision of Netheril and how it would have fitted in to the later plotlines?

I think so, yes. I think Ed's Netheril was more a plot-device for the origins of several high-level liches and living mages (in particular, the lich of Warlock Crypt).
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby waylander39 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:29 pm

I'd be very interested to hear what Ed had planned for Netheril and how it would have impacted on the Realms that we've all come to know and love. Would it have affected the Shades metaplot in any way or made any major impacts to the historical timeline?
waylander39
Troll

Return to Arcane Age