Mystara Creature Compendium 1 (M4E2) is Complete!

The oldest setting with the newest rules.

Mystara Creature Compendium 1 (M4E2) is Complete!

Postby JohnBiles » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:30 am

The fruit of a year and a half of work, the 292 creatures of the Mystara 4E Creature Compendium 1 (M4E2) are ready for your enjoyment! Complete with a terrible looking title image! (Which is too big for the board, apparently.)

You can find the pdf at this address: http://www.thekeep.org/~wombat/Mystara/Mystara4ECreatureCompendium1.pdf!

It is 246 pages long, but only has one image so it's not too big.
JohnBiles
Hill Giant

Re: Mystara Creature Compendium 1 (M4E2) is Complete!

Postby agathokles » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:09 pm

JohnBiles wrote:You can find the pdf at this address: http://www.thekeep.org/~wombat/Mystara/Mystara4ECreatureCompendium1.pdf!

It is 246 pages long, but only has one image so it's not too big.

Wow, that's a great (and massive) work.

From the graphics/typesetting point of view, it would IMO benefit from reformatting stats into the typical 4e monster template, justifying text elsewhere, and using a two column format (which would also save space).

From the game/rules point of view, it could benefit from adding encounter templates as in the published MMs. Not much for the value of the templates (they are easy to come up with), but rather because it helps in pointing out missing elements -- e.g., a typical last encounter at level 10 (end of heroic tier) would use Bargle and the Black Eagle (level 11 élite controller and soldier respectively, total 2400 XP). To make this a though encounter (let's say level 12 or 13), though, you'd need to add a number of minions for the Black Eagle to use as well as to shield Bargle. In a pinch, one may use Orc Warriors from MM1 (level 9 minions) and add a couple of Werewolves (level 8 brutes in MM1, but possibly improved to level 10). However, it would be more appropriate to have Lancers of Doom (i.e., human soldiers) as a new level 9 minion monster, since the Black Eagle would not use Orcs for his personal guard. Thus, building the sample encounter points to the missing monster.

GP
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby Hugin » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:40 pm

That's a tremendous amount of work put into that, John! Well done!
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby dfryer36 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:29 am

A lot of great work there. As agathokles said, it could benefit from some clean up of the formatting, but I admire what you have done.
David Fryer
I am a cute and cuddly winged harbinger of DEATH!

Do you have what it takes to be a hero?
dfryer36
White Dragon

Postby JohnBiles » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:06 am

dfryer36 wrote:A lot of great work there. As agathokles said, it could benefit from some clean up of the formatting, but I admire what you have done.

I'm working on some formatting and other fixes (see the 1.5 thread)
JohnBiles
Hill Giant

Postby dfryer36 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:23 am

:oops: Somehow I missed that.
David Fryer
I am a cute and cuddly winged harbinger of DEATH!

Do you have what it takes to be a hero?
dfryer36
White Dragon

Return to Mystara 4E Conversion Project