Character Builder custom files for Mystara now available

The oldest setting with the newest rules.

Character Builder custom files for Mystara now available

Postby Dwk3 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:11 am

I have uploaded a set of six custom campaign files and accompanying text files for the Character Builder to the following site:

http://groups.google.com/group/mystara4e/files?&sort=name

Start with the file "Customizing Character Builder for Mystara 4E". That file will guide you to the other Mystara 4E text files and to the custom campaign files. I plan to update these files monthly, within a week after each official Character Builder update -- that means that the first update will be in less than two weeks.

Since I cannot possibly try out every possiblity, please let me know if you find any bugs or any features that you strongly disagree with so that I can address them in future updates. My current goal is to provide a generally usable set of files for Mystara campaigns set in 1000 AC and based on all offcially published material -- I may expand on that at some future date. Your comments will give me an idea of whethere there is any demand for post-WotI updates or for more specialized campaign files than those that I have already provided.
Dwk3
Hobgoblin

Re: Character Builder custom files for Mystara now available

Postby Havard » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:12 pm

Impressive!

I will take a closer look and see if I can make some more specific comments later today.

Looks like things are really happening for Mystara 4E this year! :)

Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Hugin » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:45 pm

Cool! I'll have to check this out. Thanks Dwk3!
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby BotWizo » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:56 pm

Thanks Dave!!!!!!!!, I will check it out.
Game over man... Game over! -- Pvt. Hudson
BotWizo
Fire Giant

Postby Dwk3 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:20 am

FYI -- The next Character Builder update will come out tomorrow afternoon. My schedule will not permit me to download it and revise the files before Wednesday evening at the earliest. I have collected a few notes for things to fix from the original release, and I will look through the new version for other items when I get the chance. With any luck, the first revision will be uploaded late Wednesday night or Thursday evening.
Dwk3
Hobgoblin

Postby Birchbeer » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:44 pm

I was reviewing the files here, and was curious about implementing the races. I saw a custom race field, and I think we could just take a normal race, slap a name on it, and it should work. Have you tried this? When I get some free time, I think I will try to tinker with this.

I'm shocked to see there are over 100 potential races/subraces (and thats not including the Lupin/Rakastas too).

Edit --

Apparently custom races are not supported well. You can have one, but no integration into the tool :( This definitely limits what can be done. I was hoping to create some cool stuff, but this won't allow for it.
Birchbeer
Stone Giant

Postby Dwk3 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:11 am

Trust me -- I would have done things with custom races if it were workable -- and I will do more if and when they permit defining racial features on any sort of custom basis. The previews for later this year hint at things that may expand our options. At this point, we cannot even create Dwarves who do not speak Dwarven.
Dwk3
Hobgoblin

Postby Dwk3 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:27 am

The February updates of the campaign files are now available. The next update will occur in the first week of March, after the 2 March 2010 Character Builder update.

The big change for anybody who does not feel like downloading all of the files: Uncheck the Battlemind class from PHB3 in any campaign file that already has the Ardent and Psion classes unchecked.
Dwk3
Hobgoblin

Postby Dwk3 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:39 am

The March updates to the campaign files is now available. Next month's update will be major, as it will include all the material from PHB3. I will probably send the two main text files to Shawn for posting at Pandius then, since the only really major update after that this year will be the Dark Sun books -- unless of course they add new customization features that make it possible for me to use the ideas posted in this forum more than I have already.
Dwk3
Hobgoblin

Postby Dwk3 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:49 pm

The April update to the campaign files is now available.
Dwk3
Hobgoblin

Postby Lechas » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:41 am

Just joined this forum since I intend to GM a Mystara campaign with my gamegroup within the near future. I wanted to download the most recent dndcamp files Dwk3 provided (April ones), but other than the Basic one, they all went to htm files (I used the save as option). Since I'm a noob at computer stuff, is there any way I can correct for this? Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Lechas
Lechas
Orc

Postby Hugin » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:03 pm

Well, I can't help you out with the computer stuff, unfortunately, but I can say, "Welcome to The Piazza, Lechas!"

And don't worry. I'm sure there will be someone along shortly to solve your file issue.
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Dwk3 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:17 am

This is interesting. I could not download the files by using the "Save Target As" option either.

The only way I could get it to work was by either (left) clicking on the link directly or right clicking the link and then selecting the "Open in New Tab" option -- so for now I suggest that you try accessing the files that way. You will be prompted whether you want to open or save each file -- just pick "Save" and you should be good to go.

Now if anyone on this board knows anything about how files are stored in Google Groups -- please let me know what if anything I can do to make the "Save Target As" option work properly.
Dwk3
Hobgoblin

Postby Lechas » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:08 am

@Hugin: Thanks for the warm welcome, glad to be here :)

@Dwk3: I opened the files with a left click and then used the "Save As" option (I couldn't get the Save option (Crtl+S) to work) to save the files into a .txt file. I then deleted the .txt extension from the files and they reverted to the true dndcamp files. T'was a long way around it, but I checked thiswith the chracter builder and they all work. Thanks for your info and please keep up this impressive work.
Lechas
Orc

Postby Dwk3 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:35 am

You are most welcome. Let me know if you are interested in anything more specific than the campaign files I am currently maintaining.
Dwk3
Hobgoblin

Postby Dwk3 » Sat May 08, 2010 7:16 pm

The May update of the Mystara 4E campaign files is now available. In addition to the usual updates and bug fixes, this month I added a campaign file for Karameikos.
Dwk3
Hobgoblin

Postby Lechas » Mon May 10, 2010 6:15 am

Thank you again Dwk3 for your hard work. My gaming group is much indebted to you.
Lechas
Orc

Postby Dwk3 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:12 am

I have just uploaded the June update for the Mystara campaign files. I began work on a couple of additional campaign files but decided not to include them in this upload because of the time they were taking to complete.

So -- What campaign files should I add next after Karameikos? Unless anyone has a better idea, I am thinking of going through the gazetteer series in numerical order, limiting each nation to the 1000 AC era for now. I hope to upload Ylaruam and Glantri within a week.

If there is significant interest in a different direction, please let me know. Keep in mind that I plan to hold off on any areas that look like they might benefit from material in the upcoming Dark Sun campaign setting book.
Dwk3
Hobgoblin

Postby Bonetti » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:14 am

I would love to see Darokin to be bumped earlier than #11 :-)

(I should add: Sorry for not checking this out earlier, time just keeps getting away from me :-( Thank you very much for your efforts on this, they are greatly (if too silently, at times) appreciated :-) )
Darokin expansion (maps, notes, merchant houses)
NaNoWriMo: Winner 2013-2016; Camp NaNoWriMo: 2014-2017
Bonetti
Fire Giant

Postby Dwk3 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:33 pm

Bonetti wrote:I would love to see Darokin to be bumped earlier than #11 :-)

(I should add: Sorry for not checking this out earlier, time just keeps getting away from me :-( Thank you very much for your efforts on this, they are greatly (if too silently, at times) appreciated :-) )

Okay, Darokin will be next after Ylaruam and Glantri -- they are far enough along that I should try to finish them first. Then I will pick up with gazetteers 4 through 9, followed by Dawn of the Emperors. I want to be sure not to touch Orcs of Thar before Dark Sun comes out.
Dwk3
Hobgoblin

Postby Dwk3 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:03 am

Okay -- I just completed a mid-month update -- campaign files for Darokin, Glantri, and Ylaruam are now available, along with minor updates to files in which I found errors as I created those campaign files.

Unless I hear requests otherwise, I will resume doing the gazetteer nations in numerical order, and I will not upload any further file updates or new campaign files until after the July Character Builder update.

Since Ierendi is next, I should point out that I will actually be creating two campaign files for it, as Honor Island is so different from the rest of Ierendi as to warrant its own campaign file.
Dwk3
Hobgoblin

Postby Dwk3 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:09 am

I was able to get the July update uploaded quickly. In addition to the usual updates and revisions, I added campaign files for Ierendi and Honor Island. I will continue with Alfheim and Rockhome when I have some time to work on them.
Dwk3
Hobgoblin

Postby Dwk3 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:57 am

The August update is up. Nothing much new this time around -- I am saving my energy for a major update next month.
Dwk3
Hobgoblin

Postby Havard » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:02 pm

Dwk3 wrote:The August update is up. Nothing much new this time around -- I am saving my energy for a major update next month.

Great to see that you are still working on this! :)

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Dwk3 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:33 am

I just wanted to let you all know that I got confirmation on the Wizards forums that the next update of the Character Builder will not be until September 21st. Apparently it will include some Essentials material as well as the long awaited Dark Sun Campaign Setting. This is a minor relief for me because it means there will be no delay on the campaign file update -- I won't be on vacation or other travel at that time.

The Dark Sun material permits the introduction of manscorpions and garls as playable races. The Essentials update that adds Dex/Int as one of the stat bonus options for elves will permit me to shift some of the elf groups currently represented as eladrins back to eladrins. I am still reviewing the new books for other likely changes.
Dwk3
Hobgoblin

Next

Return to Mystara 4E Conversion Project