The Radiance in 4E

The oldest setting with the newest rules.

The Radiance in 4E

Postby JohnBiles » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:40 pm

Radiance Wizards are important to Glantri. I am thinking for 4E, there should be a paragon path (Radiance Wizard) and a connected Epic Destiny (Radiance Immortal)

(This does pose problems with converting those wizards who are both members of a Secret Craft AND Radiance Wizards, but for 4E purposes, I'd rather go with preserving game balance than perfect fidelity.)

My goal here is something which is balanced with the right flavor; the original radiance system can't really be converted directly due to the differences in mechanics between Classic and 4E.

The problem, though, with making it a Paragon Path is that the Radiance doesn't easily work for you if you go a long distance from Glantri City. Which makes it a lot more limited than most Paths.

Ideas?
JohnBiles
Hill Giant

Re: The Radiance in 4E

Postby Chimpman » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:50 pm

I've always had the idea that a wizard "in the know" could take the radiance with him by using a kind of portable radiance receptacle. The mechanics for such a receptacle would probably largely be based on what edition of the game you were playing but I would make it do the following:

1) Portable radiance receptacles should be able to contain less radiance energy than the larger stationary receptacles (located within a wizard's domain in Glantri).

2) Radiance receptacles need to be recharged after the rads stored in them are used. This could either take a single day (hours per point) if within Glantri, or longer the farther from Glantri one is. I'm not sure if I would set a limit on the distance from the NoS for recharge purposes, but I would probably impose some kind of distance penalty.

Since rads are used as spell components for radiance spells, this kind of system would seem to work. Once you're out of rads, then you can no longer cast radiance spells. I might also impose some kind of Con check on anyone carrying such a portable device and treat it like a poison if the check is failed.

This is a great topic John!
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Dwk3 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:49 am

With the Dark Sun 4E books coming out in a few weeks, I wonder whether the Radiance might be represented by use of the defiling mechanics? Using the Radiance drains magical energy from the world, while defiling drains life energy -- in both cases eventually exhausting a precious resource.

I could easily see a callous Glantrian wizard who has researched the Radiance calling on its power to gain a reroll to attack with one of his daily spells, and in the process inflicting pain on his allies as he drains magical energy from them -- and even the most mundane of martial adventurers would have enough magic in them to be affected.
Dwk3
Hobgoblin

Postby JohnBiles » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:21 am

Dwk3 wrote:With the Dark Sun 4E books coming out in a few weeks, I wonder whether the Radiance might be represented by use of the defiling mechanics? Using the Radiance drains magical energy from the world, while defiling drains life energy -- in both cases eventually exhausting a precious resource.

I could easily see a callous Glantrian wizard who has researched the Radiance calling on its power to gain a reroll to attack with one of his daily spells, and in the process inflicting pain on his allies as he drains magical energy from them -- and even the most mundane of martial adventurers would have enough magic in them to be affected.

Oooh, I'll have to check that out; that does seem like a good possibility!
JohnBiles
Hill Giant

Postby Chimpman » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:53 pm

I like that idea a lot too. I'll be looking forward to seeing how they handle this in 4E.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Birchbeer » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:18 pm

I was curious to see if the Dark Sun defiling mechanics could adequately represent the radiance or not (per an earlier post...). Anyone get the books and work it through?
Birchbeer
Stone Giant

Postby agathokles » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:49 pm

To sum it up, defiling inflicts damage to allies in exchange for a reroll.

G.
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby Havard » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:27 am

agathokles wrote:To sum it up, defiling inflicts damage to allies in exchange for a reroll.

Actually, it would be interesting to use something like that for the Radience...

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Theality » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:14 am

Hi everyone.

I've written a cosmology that is essentially a mashup of 3.5E, 4E and PS settings, for a Neverwinter Nights Persistent World Project that I'm helping out in.

The playing environment is centered on Glantri, so we had to start with a set ruling on what the Radiance was, to govern any future rulings for players.

The Elemental Chaos of 4E has, at its simplest, become the inner planes of 3.5E with all set barriers between the planes removed. Each 'elemental force' still has a point in the Chaos where it is at its strongest, but there is no longer any planal/spatial barriers between them. The para and quasi elemental plains have stopped being a metaphoric overlap between the planes, and are now the literal overlap between the elemental 'hot spots' of the Chaos.

For reference, the positive and negative planes are direct infusions into the chaos from the forces of good and evil, in an attempt to wrestle control of the Chaos away from each other.

The Radiance is, therefore, a weak spot between the borders of the material plane, and the field of Radiance in the Chaos. A practitioner of the Radiance is drawing his or her power directly from the Chaos.

This is why overusing the Radiance can be hazardous to ones health (A mortal being overrun with raw elemental energy? They should be so lucky as to simply wind up a lich), and because each successive use of the Radiance weakens the hole between the Prime and the Chaos, overuse of the Radiance can and will destroy the world as we know it.

Therefore, it makes sense that any arcanist powerful enough to open a small (read as: pin prick or smaller) portal into the Chaos would be able to draw directly from the Radiance. Thus answering the question (within our setting, anyhoo) of if a Mage outside of Glantri might still be able to use the Radiance.

Finally, and to round out the picture, I have written that the material planes (plus Shadowfell and Feywild) were created as an accidental biproduct of the powers that be infusing the Chaos with the essence of life and death (positive and negative planes), and this is why arcanists have the ability to draw on the elemental forces straight from the planes, seeing as they are made up of the essence of the Chaos.

To protect the material planes from the raw destructive powers of the Chaos, the powers that be created Sigil, to encompass the planes and act as a lightening rod for the energy from the Chaos. All this floats above the surface of the Astral sea, where the forces of Good and Evil (and the forces of Evil and Evil, in the case of the Blood War) do battle.

Obviously, using the Radiance circumnavigates the protection of Sigil, hence it's innate danger.

Beyond that, Hi everyone! Thanks for offering such a dedication to what is arguably the most classic of all the D&D settings. Your hard work has helped me on many an occasion.

Regards,

Theality.
Theality
Kobold

Postby BotWizo » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:51 pm

if it helps in one of the older threads here at the piazza someone suggested rather than a wizard a warlock seemed like a good fit for radiance link in 4E.

if you are set on wizards, you could have a wizard carry a small piece of radioactive material with them to keep their powers going, but this may reduce healing surges and cause damage over long term. -- a possible start for a solution within 4E rules.
Game over man... Game over! -- Pvt. Hudson
BotWizo
Fire Giant

Postby Angel Tarragon » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:39 pm

One idea is to repurpose Spellscars (Forgotten Realms) for the Radiance.

Spellscars become Radiance Mutations.
The Student of the Plague feat becomes the Student of the Radiance feat.

The Spellscarred Savant paragon path becomes the Rad Master / Radiance Philosopher paragon path.
- Plague Familiarity / Radiance Familiarity
- Plague Mastery / Radiance Expertise
- Spellfire Action / Radiant Action
- Spellfire Mastery / Radiance Mastery
- Spellfire Healing / Radiance (or Radiant) Infusion
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Birchbeer » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:53 pm

I always thought Spellscars represented the red curse affecting the Savage Coast the best.

As for carrying a chunk of radioactive material, higher level spells lets you store radiance into a receptacle or store it within your body. Perhaps your implement could be used as a receptacle?

I've not found a good way of implementing the radiance in my campaign. My players aren't aware of it yet, they're more concerned with dungeons :)
Birchbeer
Stone Giant

Postby BotWizo » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:12 pm

great ideas from both TAD and Birchbeer.

I think spellscars can be reflavored for several purposes, probably even in the same setting or campaign.
Game over man... Game over! -- Pvt. Hudson
BotWizo
Fire Giant

Return to Mystara 4E Conversion Project