4e Druids in Mystara

The oldest setting with the newest rules.

4e Druids in Mystara

Postby agathokles » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:37 pm

It seems to me that the 4e Druid has little to do with the AD&D Druid, and even less with the OD&D Druid. The 4e class focuses on animal forms, which can take at will, and is a controller, while the OD&D Druid is a pure spellcaster with some combat ability, mid-way between Cleric and Wizard (but clearly more Cleric). In 4e terms, the OD&D Druid would be a leader with a controller secondary role.

If you accept the above reasoning, two questions arise:
  • How to represent Mystaran (OD&D-style) Druids in 4e?
  • What to do with the 4e Druid class?

My answer is that Druids should likely be represented as Cleric|Druids in 4e, choosing mostly if not exclusively non-Beast form powers, or even by Cleric|Shamans.

The Beast-form powers of the Druid, however, may be useful to represent a typical Mystaran PC which is otherwise not supported by 4e: lycanthropes. By creating hybrid or multiclass characters with a partial Druid class (taking only Beast-form powers, of course), one can easily supplement the Shifter race to create werecreatures. Different combinations of subraces and class builds can help differentiate the various lycanthropic strains.

GP
agathokles
Red Dragon

Re: 4e Druids in Mystara

Postby JohnBiles » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:05 am

Sounds reasonable to me.
JohnBiles
Hill Giant

Postby BotWizo » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:08 pm

would the od&d druids line up more with the 4e shamans?

I will have to read to see if this would be a good fit, I can't remember and my books are at home.
Game over man... Game over! -- Pvt. Hudson
BotWizo
Fire Giant

Postby agathokles » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:29 am

Uhm, the 4e Shaman focuses more on spirit summoning, which is not specifically the role of the OD&D Druid. However, it is likely closer than the 4e Druid, if you have to keep to a single class. Mechanically, the OD&D Druid is a specialization (akin to a 4e Paragon Path) of the Cleric.

Note that there are other Mystaran OD&D classes that fall somewhat in the range of the 4e Druid and Shaman: the Atruaghin Shamani, the Ethengar Shaman, and the Hin Master.

The Hin Master has clerical, druidic and some wizardly spells, plus Turn Undead (this is the only class considered to have this feature), but are less focused on healing powers and more on attacks that inflict conditions.
The Shamani is a Cleric focusing more on magic and less on melee, with typical leader effects (buffs and healing) as well as some controller effects, plus some animal summonings.
The Ethengar Shaman has all the Primal stuff -- spirit summoning and shapechanging. It is a typical leader with controller secondary.

So, pinning them down to a single class is difficult. The Ethengar Shaman could use 4e Shaman with Druid multiclass or Shaman|Druid hybrid.
The Atruaghin Shamani may be a Devoted Cleric with Shaman multiclass, or Cleric|Shaman hybrid.
The Hin Master might use a Cleric build hybrid with Channel Divinity. The Primal focus is not too important, but if used it should be represented by non-beastform Druid powers.

GP
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby BotWizo » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:54 pm

agathokles wrote:Uhm, the 4e Shaman focuses more on spirit summoning, which is not specifically the role of the OD&D Druid. However, it is likely closer than the 4e Druid, if you have to keep to a single class. Mechanically, the OD&D Druid is a specialization (akin to a 4e Paragon Path) of the Cleric.

Note that there are other Mystaran OD&D classes that fall somewhat in the range of the 4e Druid and Shaman: the Atruaghin Shamani, the Ethengar Shaman, and the Hin Master.

The Hin Master has clerical, druidic and some wizardly spells, plus Turn Undead (this is the only class considered to have this feature), but are less focused on healing powers and more on attacks that inflict conditions.
The Shamani is a Cleric focusing more on magic and less on melee, with typical leader effects (buffs and healing) as well as some controller effects, plus some animal summonings.
The Ethengar Shaman has all the Primal stuff -- spirit summoning and shapechanging. It is a typical leader with controller secondary.

So, pinning them down to a single class is difficult. The Ethengar Shaman could use 4e Shaman with Druid multiclass or Shaman|Druid hybrid.
The Atruaghin Shamani may be a Devoted Cleric with Shaman multiclass, or Cleric|Shaman hybrid.
The Hin Master might use a Cleric build hybrid with Channel Divinity. The Primal focus is not too important, but if used it should be represented by non-beastform Druid powers.

GP

yep, I realized the way the od&d druid and (what to call it) the other clerical type od&d classes, I just couldn't remeber how the 4e shaman functioned, I had not read up on it in depth.

I was trying to help you possibly pin the od&d class to a single 4e class.

Even thought I love 4e I did have a hard time with the 4e druid, because I have preconceived notions what a druid is like the od&d or 1e versions.
I wonder if the 4e version of a druid is possibly taken from 3.x e, this I don't know since I never played 3.x D&D.

It sounds like the best option to recreate the od&d druid is to use hybrid classes in 4e and mix 2 classes until the character for becmi mystara is the same in 4e mystara. (I am assuming this was your goal to play mystara using 4e and the major npcs to roughly be unchanged functionally)

I don't think the 4e multiclass structure gives pcs or npcs similar benefits as it did in 1e d&d so I would not use 4e multiclass rules to try and recreate the od&d druid.

I could have totally missed the mark.

Hopefully I helped, if not have a great day anyway!
Game over man... Game over! -- Pvt. Hudson
BotWizo
Fire Giant

Postby agathokles » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:27 pm

The 4e Druid is definitely influenced by the 3e Druid, which has shapechanging as a key feature. AD&D 2e Druids had some shapechanging powers, but much more limited in scope.

I do agree that hybrids are the best option for Mystaran druids in 4e, mixing two of Druid, Shaman, and Cleric. I also understand that, if you want to pin the Druid to a single class, then the Shaman should be considered. However, that would waste the 4e Druid entirely, which is a pity, because many non-beastform powers are rather appropriate for Mystaran druids as well.

GP
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby rabindranath72 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:29 pm

Sorry for the thread necromancy!

I have been thinking about this topic since I have been running a Known World campaign in 4e, and I went the route of druids as being clerics which:

1) Are unaligned
2) Don't take the Channel Divinity: Turn Undead feature;
3) Take the Channel Divinity: Melora's Tide (renamed: Nature's Boon)
4) Don't take powers with the radiant keyword.
rabindranath72
White Dragon

Return to Mystara 4E Conversion Project