Elves - Birchbeer

The oldest setting with the newest rules.

Elves - Birchbeer

Postby Birchbeer » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:19 pm

I've been working on compiling the various elves that exist on Mystara and trying to map out how I think they'd fit into 4E DnD. Right now, I'm using just the various elven races (Eladrin, Elf and Drow) along with 4E backgrounds to map out the differences. I am considering adding in recommended feats/classes, but currently want to keep it open for players so they can still customize to their concept.

At some point I may collapse the various clans and things to simplify, as currently I think there are over 50 variations on the elven race here. (From running several campaigns with new players, I'm finding people new to gaming or a setting can get overwhelmed with too many choices...)

When doing these allocations, I aimed for the default elf to be a 4th edition Elf. Essentials allows for a bonus to Intelligence, most elven subraces/clans of Mystara should qualify by default. However, for some I've found the flavor of the 4th edition Elf doesn't fit with the elf as described in various Mystara sourcebooks (cannon and fannon).

I've derived a lot from threads on here, especially the following:
Zendrolian's Elven Ethnicitieshttp://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2630&start=0
DWK3's various files for converting Mystara to 4th Editiion http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=4660
(I have more sources which I need to add when I can find the URL's for them)

Currently I'll add various grouping of elves as different threads to this post. Once completed (or as near complete as can be achieved) I'll create a webpage for it.

I believe there is a group of Elves that live west of the Sylvan elves in a forest (I've seen notes) but I cannot pinpoint what they are/if they exist or rumored or anything about their culture. I also believe there is a group of Elves hanging out within Hule too, but, once again, I don't have a lot of material to work off of.

Feedback welcome and appreciated in advance. (Thanks Ashtagon for cleaning up the post mess :)

Update (07/27/2011): The migration was less than kind to the HTML. So here is a link to my campaign site with the Elves
https://sites.google.com/site/birchbeergami/campaign/races/elves
Last edited by Birchbeer on Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:59 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Birchbeer
Stone Giant

Known World

Postby Birchbeer » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:25 pm

[table][th]Alfheim[/th]
[tbody][tr][td]Clan[/td][td]4th Race[/td][td]Secondary Bonus[/td][td]Background[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Chossom[/td][td]Elf[/td][td]Either[/td][td]Occupation - Merchant[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Erendyl[/td][td]Elf[/td][td]Either[/td][td]Warsmith[Campaign][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Feadiel[/td][td]Elf[/td][td]Wisdom[/td][td]Forest Warden[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Grunalf[/td][td]Elf[/td][td]Wisdom[/td][td]Silent Hunter[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Long Runner[/td][td]Elf[/td][td]Intelligence[/td][td]Magic Scholar[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Mealidil[/td][td]Elf[/td][td]Intelligence[/td][td]Any[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Red Arrow[/td][td]Elf[/td][td]Wisdom[/td][td]Last Legionnaire[/td][/tr][/tbody][/table]
Mealidil I was vague on because there isn't anything that maps to singing for 4th edition. I haven't added in preferred classes yet, but for them it would be bard.

[table][th]Glantri[/th]
[tbody][tr][td]Clan[/td][td]4th Race[/td][td]Secondary Bonus[/td][td]Background[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Belcadiz[/td][td]Eladrin[/td][td]Dexterity[/td][td]Blademaster[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Erewen[/td][td]Elf[/td][td]Intelligence[/td][td]Occupation - Artisan[/td][/tr][/tbody][/table]
Eladrin fit better for Belcadiz for their penchant for swords and sword fighting. Erewen are pretty standard magically inclined elves.

[table][th]Karameikos[/th]
[tr][td]Callarii[/td][td]Elf[/td][td]Wisdom[/td][td]Howling Plains[/td][/tr][/tbody][/table]
The Howling Plains was used because it was similar in the horseman riding and focus.

[table][th]Minrothad Guilds[/th]
[tr][td]Verdier (Wood Elf)[/td][td]Elf[/td][td]Wisdom[/td][td]Occupation - Artisan[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Kelar, Manre (Water Elf)[/td][td]Eladrin[/td][td]Charisma[/td][td]Occupation - Mariner[/td][/tr][/tbody][/table]
These mappings work pretty well. For my campaign I have a player who is a water elf storm sorcerer and it seems to be working out well for her.

[table][th]Shadow Elves[/th]
[tr][td]Celebryl[/td][td]Eladrin[/td][td]Charisma[/td][td]East Rift [Campaign][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Porador[/td][td]Eladrin[/td][td]Dexterity[/td][td]East Rift [Campaign][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Felistyr[/td][td]Eladrin[/td][td]Dexterity[/td][td]East Rift [Campaign][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Gelbalf[/td][td]Eladrin[/td][td]Dexterity[/td][td]East Rift [Campaign][/td][/tr][/tbody][/table]
I need to work at fleshing the clans out based upon the text from the shadow elf gazetteer. I chose Eladrin for a few reasons -
1 - Elves have a bonus to bows, that doesn't work so well when your culture primarily uses crossbows.
2 - The gazetteer emphasizes they could learn magic above and beyond most elves.
3 - Drow didn't fit for a few reasons, I don't see them using poison, or being as treacherous. However, the Drow get Darkfire which is like faerie fire which Shadow Elves could cast at first level. I'd also like to keep Drow as an evil bogeyman type of race, rarely seen but dangerous when encountered. If a Drow rejects his civilization and becomes good (or even neutral) that at best is extremely rare.

[table][th]Thyatis - Vyalia Elves[/th]
[tr][td]Vyalia[/td][td]Elf[/td][td]Intelligence[/td][td]Enlisted Soldier[/td][/tr][/tbody][/table]
I decided to focus on them being allies of Thyatis and their military service to the empire.
Last edited by Birchbeer on Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:34 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Birchbeer
Stone Giant

Outside the Known World, Outer World

Postby Birchbeer » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:28 pm

[table][th]Alphatia[/th]
[tr][td]Shiye Lawr[/td][td]Elf[/td][td]Intelligence[/td][td]Zilargo[/td][/tr][/tbody][/table]
I did not have any further division for clans beyond this. Also, the Shiye clans in Norworld may be different...

[table][th]Antartic[/th]
[tr][td]Antartic[/td][td]Elf[/td][td]Wisdom[/td][td]Frostfell (Primal Power)[/td][/tr][/tbody][/table]
Not too much about these elves. They are a primal subrace, I could also see them having feats to withstand the cold.

[table][th]Graakhalian[/th]
[tr][td]Sheyallia[/td][td]Elf[/td][td]Wisdom[/td][td]East Rift [Campaign][/td][/tr][/tbody][/table]
Pretty easy to translate, I believe they have bows from the underground forest.

[table][th]Isle of Dawn[/th]
[tr][td]Trueflower[/td][td]Elf[/td][td]???[/td][td]???[/td][/tr][/tbody][/table]
I only read a brief excerpt on this clan and am not sure how they fit in. Also, I'm not sure if other clans exist on the isle (outside the of migrated known world or Alphatian clans).

[table][th]Northern Elves[/th]
[tr][td]Genalleth[/td][td]Elf[/td][td]Any[/td][td]Elf - Urban Elf?[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Geffronell[/td][td]Eladrin[/td][td]Any[/td][td]Eladrin - Estranged Fey[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Lothenar[/td][td]Eladrin[/td][td]Charisma[/td][td]Haunted Survivor[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Parthenal(Wild)[/td][td]Elf[/td][td]Wisdom[/td][td]Elf - Wild Elf[/td][/tr][/tbody][/table]
From the fan gazetters. The only questionable one is for the Genalleth elves of Wendar, I know they are very friendly with the humans, but they bonuses may not align. I'm still researching what would be best.

[table][th]Savage Coast[/th]
[tr][td]Savage Coast[/td][td]Elf[/td][td]Any[/td][td]??[/td][/tr][/tbody][/table]
I haven't had time to research how the elves of this area can be broken down, so this is just a filler.

[table][th]Sylvan Realm[/th]
[tr][td]Sylvan Elves[/td][td]Elf[/td][td]Any[/td][td]Myth Drannor[/td][/tr][/tbody][/table]
Depending on how I run my campaign these elves are either in trees or newly freed. Changed to Elf to better fit origins of Alfheim elves.
Last edited by Birchbeer on Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:35 am, edited 11 times in total.
Birchbeer
Stone Giant

Hollow World

Postby Birchbeer » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:09 pm

[table][th]Hollow World[/th]
[tr][td]Blacklore[/td][td]Elf[/td][td]Any[/td][td]???[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Elf[/td][td]Eladrin[/td][td]Intelligence[/td][td]???[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Icevale[/td][td]Elf[/td][td]Wisdom[/td][td]Geography - Mountains[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Schattenalfen[/td][td]Drow[/td][td]Any[/td][td]Any Drow related background[/td][/tr][/tbody][/table]

Blacklore I decided were elves, but after that I pretty much let them be. I'm not sure what their background could be, and am still reviewing.

Truedyl Updated to them to be Elves. Teleportation magic still does not work. There isn't a background that maps to apathy/nihilism well, but I may have missed something.

Icevale was easy mapping. Does anyone know what their real Elven clan name is?

Schattenalfen are drow more or less, and the only subrace used for them. I'm still partial to just making them elves... However, in the Hollow World book it is said that Aztanteol did alter them to be unable to handle sunlight, perhaps the altered racials are a benefit and curse.
Last edited by Birchbeer on Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Birchbeer
Stone Giant

Re: Elves - Birchbeer

Postby BotWizo » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:34 pm

since mystara never really had half-elves, you could reskin the half-elf race so it is another version of elf for more variability of elf races. ( you would have one more elf race choice).
Game over man... Game over! -- Pvt. Hudson
BotWizo
Fire Giant

Postby Birchbeer » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:40 pm

BotWizo wrote:since mystara never really had half-elves, you could reskin the half-elf race so it is another version of elf for more variability of elf races. ( you would have one more elf race choice).

I'm firmly of the opinion that Mystara doesn't need any more types of elves. Especially after I went through all the source books and some fan books.

Not trying to be snarky, but I think there is an elf for any theme, some where on Mystara. They are almost like tribbles from Star Trek. The last thing I want to do is to lump more with them ;)

I'm going to keep half elves as half elves and let their backgrounds be determined by country. I honestly think Half-elven countries should exist with their own theme of blending the different cultures of their origin into a new comprehensive culture. The Yav are a good example of a half elven land with a wonderful story.
Birchbeer
Stone Giant

Postby Ashtagon » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:24 pm

Some blank posts in this thread removed by author request.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!
Ashtagon
Hierarch

Postby BotWizo » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:16 pm

Birchbeer wrote:
BotWizo wrote:since mystara never really had half-elves, you could reskin the half-elf race so it is another version of elf for more variability of elf races. ( you would have one more elf race choice).

I'm firmly of the opinion that Mystara doesn't need any more types of elves. Especially after I went through all the source books and some fan books.

Not trying to be snarky, but I think there is an elf for any theme, some where on Mystara. They are almost like tribbles from Star Trek. The last thing I want to do is to lump more with them ;)

I'm going to keep half elves as half elves and let their backgrounds be determined by country. I honestly think Half-elven countries should exist with their own theme of blending the different cultures of their origin into a new comprehensive culture. The Yav are a good example of a half elven land with a wonderful story.

no worries, about the snarky...

I tend to agree with your viewpoint, I was just trying to bring up options in case you needed one.
I think that what you described is a cool way to go with half-elves. (and it is your campaign)

In My latest campaign I have eliminated any half-races. I am just reskininng the halfs as another human race option. (so no half-orc, no half-elf, no mul {half-dwarf})
Thus all races are really different species and there is no viable offspring from interbreeding attempts.
Game over man... Game over! -- Pvt. Hudson
BotWizo
Fire Giant

Postby Bonetti » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:38 pm

For what it's worth, in my game I tweaked the elven backstory slightly. The Feywild is both Faerie and the Sylvan Realm, and the Eladrin are the elves who stayed behind (and thus the Sylvan Realm is not actually on Mystara in this version). The Elves are the ones who migrated to and stayed on Mystara, following the known migration patterns. Not all came from the one migration, but they're basically the Eladrin stock who have lost touch with the Feywild.

Had I needed to, I would then distinguish on a per-nation/per-clan basis via backgrounds, paths, or themes. (As it was, I only had one Elf, from Alfheim, and one (orphaned) Eladrin, whose backstory was never told in full.)

Since it never came up in play and I'm not writing a sourcebook on it, I never developed it past broad outlines :-)
Darokin expansion (maps, notes, merchant houses)
NaNoWriMo: Winner 2013-2016; Camp NaNoWriMo: 2014-2017
Bonetti
Fire Giant

Postby Birchbeer » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:20 pm

Bonetti wrote:For what it's worth, in my game I tweaked the elven backstory slightly. The Feywild is both Faerie and the Sylvan Realm, and the Eladrin are the elves who stayed behind (and thus the Sylvan Realm is not actually on Mystara in this version). The Elves are the ones who migrated to and stayed on Mystara, following the known migration patterns. Not all came from the one migration, but they're basically the Eladrin stock who have lost touch with the Feywild.

I've always thought that the original homeland of all elves was the Feywild, and they colonized Grunland afterwards and thought Evergrun was in the Feywild. Which means it might still be there, just lots and lots snowier. (Which would be a great intro for my story of how I am integrating hexblades into the campaign, but I've not written it up yet, just some ideas...)
Birchbeer
Stone Giant

Return to Mystara 4E Conversion Project