4th Ed monsters

The oldest setting with the newest rules.

4th Ed monsters

Postby mister c » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:56 am

The latest Dragon mag (unfortunately only available to suscribers) has 4th ed stats for the Thoul, the Rhagodessa, the Decapus and Magen.
mister c
Ogre

Re: 4th Ed monsters

Postby Havard » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:20 pm

Wow!
Which issue is this? Link?

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Havard » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:27 pm

Nevermind, I found it! :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby mister c » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:37 pm

Sorry, didn't put the link in as you need a subscription to view it.
Its a pretty good conversion, and even mentions teh Amber family and the Isle of Dread (where relevent).
mister c
Ogre

Postby Havard » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:00 pm

Wow!

So we are actually talking about a full on Mystara article! :o

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby mister c » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:46 am

Don't get tooo excited! The article presents four classic monsters for 4th ed. The intro credits the source of the four (Palace of the Silver Princess, Castle Amber etc) and the monsters are presented in the same format as the Monster Vault (i.e. some story background). The Magen are noted as being created by the House of Amber, a "family of demented mages from another world". in a form to pass as reasonably human because "the theocracy of that world regarded magic with suspicion."

If you know the story, you will recoginse the references, but it is suitably vague if you don't that it can be adapted.

Similarly, the Rhagodessa entry states that exploreres of the Isle of Dread report huge specimens in the interior.

So not a full Mystara article :( but some sizeable easter eggs :)
mister c
Ogre

Postby Havard » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:44 pm

It is pretty much as much as one can hope for these days. :?

Were Magen ever identified as being created by the Amber family before?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby mister c » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:42 pm

They certainly were making them in Castle Amber iirc. I'm sure one of the rooms had vats in it to make them. I think the bit in the recent article about them being created to avoid the church authorities is new though, but I like it.
Just remembered that the intro to the article makes the point that the monsters were to be found in the Creature Catalogue and they have been presented together again inspired by that product.
For those who are interested in this sort of thing they are presented as;
Thoul; level 5 elite soldier
Decapus; level 4 brute
Rhagodessa; level 2 skirmisher
Magen, Demos, sentinel; level 2 soldier
Magen, Demos, bolter; level 2 artillery (leader)
Magen, Cauldron, level 3 brute
Magen, Galvan, level 4 artillery
Magen, Hypnos, level 3 controller
Hope this is of interest.
mister c
Ogre

Postby Tim_Eagon » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:06 pm

Hi guys, I'm the author of the article, so I'm glad that you enjoyed it. I started with BECMI D&D, so the Known World has a soft spot in my heart. If you have any questions regarding the article, I'd be glad to answer them.

Thanks!
Tim_Eagon
Kobold

Postby Darva » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:49 am

deleted
Last edited by Darva on Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darva
Hobgoblin

Postby mister c » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:23 am

@ Tim, thanks and well done for keeping the setting alive in Dragon mag. Hopefully we will see more like this in the near future.
mister c
Ogre

Postby Tim_Eagon » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:22 am

mister c wrote:@ Tim, thanks and well done for keeping the setting alive in Dragon mag. Hopefully we will see more like this in the near future.

I'm glad that you liked the article, but a lot of the credit for the it's appearance should go to WotC, as this was a comissioned article and not one based on something I pitched. Still, I jumped at the chance to adapt these monsters to 4e; BECMI D&D and Mystara has so many unique and interesting monsters to offer and I'd love to do more (FYI, I previously converted the dusanu and vampire rose in Dungeon 195).
Tim_Eagon
Kobold

Postby Havard » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:37 pm

I'm glad to hear about this Tim!

It is interesting that WotC commissioned an article on these monsters. Do you have any idea why WotC was looking to have them converted? I am a little surprised that we didnt see any marketing towards Mystara/Known World fans on this.

Welcome to the Piazza by the way! I took the liberty of adding you to our list of celebrities.

Perhaps you have some more projects planned for us? :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Tim_Eagon » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:27 pm

Havard wrote:I'm glad to hear about this Tim!

It is interesting that WotC commissioned an article on these monsters. Do you have any idea why WotC was looking to have them converted? I am a little surprised that we didnt see any marketing towards Mystara/Known World fans on this.

Welcome to the Piazza by the way! I took the liberty of adding you to our list of celebrities.

Perhaps you have some more projects planned for us? :)

-Havard

I'm not sure why the chose those four monsters or who chose them, though I would say that while there not the kind of monsters that appear again and again in each edition's first monster manual, they aren't obscure either. I actually had a lot of freedom working on them (for instance, that's why my decapus is based on the green-cover B3 version, the first adventure I ever owned, instead of the orange-cover version, though I did mix in lore from the latter); my only real instructions were to make them usable in any campaign, so I kept a light touch on the lore, which was fairly easy to do since the magen are the really the only ones with lots of backstory.

While I have some more articles in the pipeline, there's nothing specific to Mystara. However, I'm a big fan of older editions of D&D, so I like to write about stuff from those eras.
Tim_Eagon
Kobold

Postby Big Mac » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:28 am

Tim_Eagon wrote:While I have some more articles in the pipeline, there's nothing specific to Mystara. However, I'm a big fan of older editions of D&D, so I like to write about stuff from those eras.

Hi Tim. Welcome to The Piazza.

Have you written anything about old D&D stuff elsewhere (paid or unpaid)? I went searching for you on the Interwebs, but I think there are a lot of other "Tim Eagon"s out there. I did find a podcast episode called Going Last: Session 54, Interview with Tim Eagon and a contest. I couldn't quite tell if that was you or not.

I did see that you have been doing stuff for WotC since Dungeon 169 (in 2009). I know that WotC announced that they would be shutting Nentir Vale down for at least a year (and I think that is probably going to turn into forever - or at least until D&D Next comes out).

Do you think that the switch from Nentir Vale to older settings (mostly Forgotten Realms, but also Greyhawk) means that Dungeon or Dragon might have space for full blown Mystara articles now?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Tim_Eagon » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:58 am

Big Mac wrote:
Tim_Eagon wrote:While I have some more articles in the pipeline, there's nothing specific to Mystara. However, I'm a big fan of older editions of D&D, so I like to write about stuff from those eras.

Hi Tim. Welcome to The Piazza.

Have you written anything about old D&D stuff elsewhere (paid or unpaid)? I went searching for you on the Interwebs, but I think there are a lot of other "Tim Eagon"s out there. I did find a podcast episode called Going Last: Session 54, Interview with Tim Eagon and a contest. I couldn't quite tell if that was you or not.

I did see that you have been doing stuff for WotC since Dungeon 169 (in 2009). I know that WotC announced that they would be shutting Nentir Vale down for at least a year (and I think that is probably going to turn into forever - or at least until D&D Next comes out).

Do you think that the switch from Nentir Vale to older settings (mostly Forgotten Realms, but also Greyhawk) means that Dungeon or Dragon might have space for full blown Mystara articles now?

So far, I've only written articles for Wizards of the Coast (I got back into D&D at the tail end of 3.5e and pitched things to Paizo, but then the magazines reverted back to WotC) and "Oasis of the Golden Peacock" in Dungeon 169 was my first published work (and it started life as a 3.5e adventure).

I'm not sure if WotC is looking for full blown Mystara articles; it wasn't on the list of setting materials they were looking for during the last submission window (though it's interesting that they've so far released two B/X D&D modules for the D&D Next playtest). However, I wouldn't discourage anyone who wants to write a Mystara article from pitching one during the next window, but you might have more success if you file off the serial numbers and present it more as generic content.
Tim_Eagon
Kobold

Return to Mystara 4E Conversion Project