Crawlr

Mirror, mirror, so tall and so grand, show me the nearest gaming group in the land.
Kythkyn
Resident Catgirl

Crawlr

Post by Kythkyn » Sun May 19, 2019 7:38 am

So, I stumbled across this new app called Crawlr. It's apparently Grindr (or Tindr if you prefer :P ) for D&D? I set up an account, but I thought I should share it here too
Gaming Blog | Twitter | Discord
MAYBE YOU RUIN CHOCOLATE!

Morfie
Metamorph

Re: Crawlr

Post by Morfie » Sun May 19, 2019 8:38 am

Could play a game of d20 Modern where the players use this to meet..

Baron
Ogre

Post by Baron » Sun May 19, 2019 5:43 pm

It's a way to connect with gamers? For games, or for dating?

Kythkyn
Resident Catgirl

Post by Kythkyn » Sun May 19, 2019 9:41 pm

Baron wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 5:43 pm
Gaming!

zontoxira
Planewalker

Post by zontoxira » Mon May 20, 2019 8:38 pm

Are you able to use Crawlr for meetings, posts, discussions, etc, or is it just a game(r)-finding app?
Have a look at my Dark Sun 5e Reconstruction or Planescape 5e Belief System
Zontoxira's blog
Cager extraordinaire, at your service!
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo

Kythkyn
Resident Catgirl

Post by Kythkyn » Mon May 20, 2019 8:48 pm

zontoxira wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 8:38 pm
Are you able to use Crawlr for meetings, posts, discussions, etc, or is it just a game(r)-finding app?
Looks like? It's still in beta. There are groups, and discussion things going on. You can post stuff

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:02 pm

Kythkyn wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 9:41 pm
Baron wrote:
Gaming!
Oh, I better not set up a profile that says "Hot Spelljammer action wanted! Your crystal sphere or mine." then! :P
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Kythkyn
Resident Catgirl

Post by Kythkyn » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:42 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:02 pm
Kythkyn wrote:
Baron wrote:
Gaming!
Oh, I better not set up a profile that says "Hot Spelljammer action wanted! Your crystal sphere or mine." then! :P
On the contrary, you should probably do exactly that :lol:

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:05 pm

Kythkyn wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:42 pm
Big Mac wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:02 pm
Kythkyn wrote:
Baron wrote:
Gaming!
On the contrary, you should probably do exactly that :lol:
I did actually sign up for Crawlr. (I didn't mention "Hot Spelljammer action".)

The site is advertised as a "beta website", but it is actually a proof of concept test, by a lady, called Jackie Zantow, doing a Creative Business Design degree. Here is a statement she put out. The short story is that she identified the Crawlr concept as something that the world needs, tried to just share it around a small circle of friends, got no feedback, shared it a little bit wider...and the world went nuts over it. (That obviously proves that she was right about the idea, so hopefully she will get good marks for the test.) People have tried to buy Crawlr off of her, so they can monetise the data, but she is not selling.

So Jackie Zantow is running Crawlr at her own expense at the moment, and will either shut it down...or run some sort of crowdfunding campaign so that she can turn it into a viable business.

That aside, here are my thoughts on what Crawlr is at the moment.

When you first log into Crawlr it gets you to fill in a profile.

There are some good options here:
  • An "about me" section.
  • A preferred pronouns thing will probably make LGBT folks happy. I'm not really used to that sort of thing yet, so it seemed a bit weird having to fill it in, but I guess it didn't hurt. (And they don't have a "sex" field to fill in, so I guess this gets the right information in a more polite way...and without jokers being able to answer "yes please".)
  • The "Country", "State, Province, Territory or County", "City" and "Zip Code" section was a little bit clunky. I live in England, which is one of the four countries that makes up the United Kingdom, but Crawlr does not list "United Kingdom" as a country (and "England" as a "State") as I would expect.
  • "Languages" is good. I'm not multilingual, but that should help RPG fans who are.
  • "Preferred role" lets you tell people if you want to be a player or a GM...or if you are not currently looking for a group.
  • "My TTRPG Experience" does what it says on the tin.
  • "I see myself as a __________ player." is a good idea, but there are seven tick boxes to get your play style across.
  • "In-Person or Online?" Lets you tell people if you want to play face-to-face games or online games.
  • "Preferred tabletop systems" Lets you tick: "Dungeons & Dragons", "Pathfinder", "Warhammer", "Other Tabletop RPG" or "Tabletop Gaming (Non-RPG)"
  • The "What edition(s) of D&D?" section has a bug and keeps deleting the data. (I've put in 3.0 and 3.5, but if I edit the profile it erases both tick boxes.) The section also has Classic D&D and Original D&D missing (which is fine for a proof of concept test, but not if Crawlr is going to keep going).
  • The "Other tabletop RPGs" and "Other tabletop games" dropdowns have lots of options, but I've not bothered to use either of them.
Once you fill in all those boxes...and the legal disclaimer stuff, you realise that you get two pictures (like on social media). One is round and the other is a header image.

There is also another text field (a biography) that some people probably won't see.

The Find Players option is what the whole thing is about, but does not let me search only for "D&D" players or look for players of 3e or 3.5. So all you can do is get a big group of players and then check their individual profiles.

So, if Jackie Zantow is not going to dump Crawlr, she is going to need to sort out the search functions a bit. Ideally, I'd like to be able to search for words, so that I can find fans of specific campaign settings.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Return to “The Magic Mirror”