BECMI/Labyrinth Lord PBP

Mirror, mirror, so tall and so grand, show me the nearest gaming group in the land.

Moderator: Chimpman

BECMI/Labyrinth Lord PBP

Postby barna10 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:24 pm

Starting a PBP on The Dark Forum

Starting at 2nd level.

This is a fairly basic old-school game with a few house rules (bonus spells for high Wis/Int, bonuses to thief abilities based on Dex, some multi-dual class options).

Stop by if interested (PM me if you create an account so I can activate you)
barna10
Hobgoblin

Re: BECMI/Labyrinth Lord PBP

Postby barna10 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:59 am

Any interest? We've got 3 + DM already, looking for 1 or 2 more players.
barna10
Hobgoblin

Postby Big Mac » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:32 pm

barna10 wrote:Any interest? We've got 3 + DM already, looking for 1 or 2 more players.

I'm afraid I don't have the time, but perhaps you might get a bit of a discussion about your game going, over here, if you show people stuff like the description you have in your Game "Basics" post:
darklord at The Dark Forums wrote:Welcome!

We will be adventuring in THE KINGDOM. Our home base will be THE TOWN where you all grew up, or near. Dwarves come from THE HILLS. Elves come from the edge of THE FOREST. Halflings come from the edge of THE HILLS.

You are all veterans of THE OGRE WARS. You spent a year fighting alongside the other PCs (and any replacement PCs). You returned to THE TOWN and are now striking out as an adventurer. You all start at second level.

Local Legends:
You've heard stories of a ghost town hidden somewhere in THE WOODS (distinctly separate from THE FOREST where the Elves live). Stories tell of untold riches in the ruins.

Another tale is of strange goings on in THE MINE. It shut down years ago because of fears it was unstable Recently, townsfolk have reported seeing lights up at the THE MINE at night and passersby claim they hear strange noises (This is where I plan on us going first).

You didn't really mention any sort of setting before. And this seems like a bare bones approach. Is the idea of your game for the players to help you build more details into the world, as you go along?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby barna10 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:33 pm

Good point. I will extrapolate more.

My original idea was what you grabbed and posted, but I scrapped the 100% sandbox idea and decided to go more by-the-book. We are now in Mystara with (starting in Kelvin) with Threshold being the staging area for the "Ogre Wars". I will work up a description...
barna10
Hobgoblin

Postby Big Mac » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:53 pm

barna10 wrote:My original idea was what you grabbed and posted, but I scrapped the 100% sandbox idea and decided to go more by-the-book. We are now in Mystara with (starting in Kelvin) with Threshold being the staging area for the "Ogre Wars". I will work up a description...

There are a lot of Mytara fans around. I think you have a good chance of picking up a few interested people. I'll look forward to your full description.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby barna10 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:58 pm

Welcome!  <updated 6-15-2016>

This is a BECMI/Labyrinth Lord sandbox game.  We're shooting for pulp fantasy.  You will not be saving the world, but you may save a princess or two, or even a kingdom.  You adventure for fame and glory.  Altruism, while noble, leads one to a life of servitude and you seek adventure and freedom!

This game is a sandbox, but we'll be in Mystara.  All PCs originated either in Kelvin or in the surrounding area.  The area is in the midst of a several-years war that has become known as the Ogre Wars.  A few years ago a large band of ogres stormed Threshold from the North.  This brazen attack emboldened the other demihumans to begin raiding deeper and deeper into human lands.  Duke Karameikos is tapped-out trying to secure his borders and the northern edges of the duchy are in peril. 

Threshold has become the staging ground for the defense.  The Threshold militia has grown into a small army and young men and woman from the surrounding area join in the fighting to make a name for themselves.  The last year has seen an increased Orcish presence which has pressed the small army to the breaking point.

This is where we begin.  The PCs have served their time.  After a year or two of being in the Threshold militia they've returned home to Kelvin.  They now seek fame and fortune!

Basically, all the PCs will know each other, at least vaguely.  Any replacement PCs will also "just be getting home".  Any class works and everyone starts at 2nd level.

Starting characters should be created using only the Menzter Basic Set (character creator...).  As players get more experienced we can incorporate more options from Labyrinth Lord, the LL Advanced Companion, and even custom character classes.

We will incorporate a few house rules:
  • Casters get bonus spells, Clerics from Wisdom, Elves and Magic Users from Intelligence: 
    • 13-15: +1 1st level spell
    • 16-17: +1 1st level, +1 2nd level spells
    • 18: +1 1st level, +1 2nd level, & +1 3rd level spells
  • Thieves get bonuses based on Dexterity: +5% for each "plus" (or -5% for each "minus")
  • Multiclassing will be allowed after everyone reaches 3rd level, rules are pretty simple:
    • Start advancing in new class at any time
    • only advance 1 class at a time
    • only highest class counts for Hit Die gain
    • still working out how skill slots will work (see below)
  • Will use general skills (from Rules Cyclopedia) and simplified weapons mastery after everyone has reached 3rd level
barna10
Hobgoblin

Return to The Magic Mirror