Forum Purpose

Mirror, mirror, so tall and so grand, show me the nearest gaming group in the land.

Moderator: Chimpman

Forum Purpose

Postby Ashtagon » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:26 am

waylander39 wrote:Ashtagon, would it be possible to have a forum dedicated to gaming clubs/ groups/ people seeking players etc. Possibly as a sub-forum on the Orcs Head public house?

This forum is here to help gamers find groups (and vice versa). Either face-to-face games or online games doesn't matter much - either is ok.

Please observe all normal rules of preserving personal identity/contact secrecy. The internet is a big place, with many strange people, and this forum is publicly viewable. Specifically, DO NOT POST real-world names, addresses, emails, instant messenger contact details, etc, in this (or any other) part of the forum. Such details may be edited out as I notice them, but the forum accepts no responsibility for any consequences as a result of you placing such details in public view, and there is no specific timeframe for how long it will take for such details to be removed.

The recommended approach is to say what kind of game/group/person you are looking for in your post, and request that they contact you using the forum's IM system, or that they contact you using contact details you have entered in your profile.

Your forum profile allows you to enter contact information for various 3rd party IM systems (ICQ, AOL, MSN, Yahoo, Jabber, website). To enter such information, go to (user control panel -> profile). Again, you are solely responsible for placing contact information in a publicly viewable space. Such contact information in your profile will not be removed as standing policy, unlike contact details placed in a forum thread.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!
Ashtagon
Hierarch

Re: Forum Purpose

Postby Thorf » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:47 am

It should also be noted that your e-mail remains hidden from Piazza users even if they use the forum to contact you by e-mail. The system sends messages using a form, and no one will be able to see your address unless you decide to reply to them by e-mail. This makes it very useful - and safe - to enter your e-mail here.
Thorf
Cartomancer

Postby Andaire » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:33 am

Although in this transparent society, many of us freely share information about us anyway.
Information Wants To Be Free
Hervé Musseau http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1223372668
Andaire
Stone Giant

Postby Ashtagon » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:41 am

The main point behind that somewhat dire warning is to note that, although our community reads these pages, all sorts of scam artists, identity thieves, and weirdoes read them too.
Ashtagon
Hierarch

Postby Big Mac » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:10 pm

Great idea for a forum.

Ashtagon wrote:Please observe all normal rules of preserving personal identity/contact secrecy. The internet is a big place, with many strange people, and this forum is publicly viewable. Specifically, DO NOT POST real-world names, addresses, emails, instant messenger contact details, etc, in this thread.

Good advice. People really need to take the exact same care that they would take if they went to a dating agency.

Sadly.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Hugin » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:34 pm

Good forum to set up, Ash! Thanks. Hopefully, this will help form some gaming groups, and that is always a good thing.
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Gawain_VIII » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:55 pm

Big Mac wrote:Good advice. People really need to take the exact same care that they would take if they went to a dating agency.

Hello, my name is Roger, I'm a Sagittarius. I enjoy 80's music and sci-fi novels. I'm a bit of a geek. I enjoy computers and politics. I love to sing (bad) karaoke but hate long walks on the beach. I love animals but prefer dogs over cats. :lol:
"Time does not heal all things--only swift and decisive action does." --Roger LaVern Girtman, II, 17 April 2010
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Classic Campaigns, my Mystara fansite
Moderator of The Piazza's Mystara and M3e Project forums.
Gawain_VIII
Storm Giant

Postby Big Mac » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:27 pm

Gawain_VIII wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Good advice. People really need to take the exact same care that they would take if they went to a dating agency.

Hello, my name is Roger, I'm a Sagittarius. I enjoy 80's music and sci-fi novels. I'm a bit of a geek. I enjoy computers and politics. I love to sing (bad) karaoke but hate long walks on the beach. I love animals but prefer dogs over cats. :lol:

ASL

:P
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Ashtagon » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:40 am

It bears repeating...

In order to prevent identity theft, impersonation, and spam, the following items must NOT be posted on this forum:

* real-world names (though these will generally not be edited out by a moderator)
* real-world home addresses (these WILL be edited out if identified as home addresses. Business addresses and public buildings/bars used for game meetings will not have addresses edited out).
* instant messenger addresses (these will not be edited out, although it is preferable to enter the details on the forum's database, and let people contact you that way for IM programs)

And my original post, repeated, because it contains much wisdom:

Please observe all normal rules of preserving personal identity/contact secrecy. The internet is a big place, with many strange people, and this forum is publicly viewable. Specifically, DO NOT POST real-world names, addresses, emails, instant messenger contact details, etc, in this thread. Such details may be edited out as I notice them, but the forum accepts no responsibility for any consequences as a result of you placing such details in public view, and there is no specific timeframe for how long it will take for such details to be removed.

The recommended approach is to say what kind of game/group/person you are looking for in your post, and request that they contact you using the forum's IM system, or that they contact you using contact details you have entered in your profile.

Your forum profile allows you to enter contact information for various 3rd party IM systems (ICQ, AOL, MSN, Yahoo, Jabber, website). To enter such information, go to (user control panel -> profile). Again, you are solely responsible for placing contact information in a publicly viewable space. Such contact information in your profile will not be removed as standing policy, unlike contact details placed in a forum thread.
Ashtagon
Hierarch

Postby blackaeon » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:09 am

I do have a question that (I think, anyhow) would be pertinent. Is it a faux pas to put up an ad for a game that falls outside D&D? I run in a couple of different systems and have a space opera coming up that might appeal to one or two people here.
Mostly a Ravenloft expert, with a good deal of knowledge about Eberron, Forgotten Realms, Spelljammer, and a bunch of non-D&D related games. Also a Hell of a cook.
blackaeon
Troll

Postby Ashtagon » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:35 am

blackaeon wrote:I do have a question that (I think, anyhow) would be pertinent. Is it a faux pas to put up an ad for a game that falls outside D&D? I run in a couple of different systems and have a space opera coming up that might appeal to one or two people here.

Any RPG system is fine, as long as it is an actual RPG. It's all good. I just recently started as a player in a GURPS game after a long dry spell with no gaming.
Ashtagon
Hierarch

Postby Blue_Saurus » Sun May 08, 2016 9:39 pm

Hey, so I'm new to D&D and was wondering if there are any groups welcoming new players, I was pointed in this direction as the best place to inquire. I've tried looking locally but there doesn't seem to be any in the area at the moment so I'm really hoping someone can help me out ^_^
Blue_Saurus
Kobold

Postby Ashtagon » Sun May 08, 2016 9:51 pm

Blue_Saurus wrote:Hey, so I'm new to D&D and was wondering if there are any groups welcoming new players, I was pointed in this direction as the best place to inquire. I've tried looking locally but there doesn't seem to be any in the area at the moment so I'm really hoping someone can help me out ^_^

The best thing to do is start a thread, say where you are, and what you're looking for (eg "I'm in London and I'm looking for people who play Shadowrun, either face to face or play by post").
Ashtagon
Hierarch

Return to The Magic Mirror