I think I might be setting up a new Mystara campaign!

Mirror, mirror, so tall and so grand, show me the nearest gaming group in the land.
Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

I think I might be setting up a new Mystara campaign!

Post by Seer of Yhog »

By chance, I was talking with a co-worker, and it turns out he was running a 4E campaign. I mentioned OSRIC and Mystara, and he seemed interested, so I sent him some links.

We just had a half-hour chat about rules differences and the Mystara setting (he's visited Pandius), and he's really keyed up. He's talking to a friend, and I might just have a new Mystara lunch-hour campaign in the New Year!

Will keep you posted.
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: I think I might be setting up a new Mystara campaign!

Post by Havard »

Congrats Geoff!

Let us know how this develops! :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog »

It's looking better already. My buddy has read through the Savage Coast and peppered me with questions about it ("what is this Red Steel?"). I'll meet with my players in the New Year to talk characters and backgrounds, and from that I'll decided where in Mystara the campaign will be. Sessions will be over lunch hour, and they have minis and dice.

We're using the Dark Dungeons ruleset.

My Blog is here!

Bouv
Cloud Giant

Post by Bouv »

That's cool. I don't think there is enough people where I work to play. I play, my boss plays and a co-worker used to play.

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog »

Looks like I'll have three players, two of whom are going to be rolling up today. The party lineup looks like it's going to be an elf, a dwarven cleric, a rake, plus one optional NPC.

My Blog is here!

Bouv
Cloud Giant

Post by Bouv »

Neat. How often are you going to play? Daily, weekly? My problem (either as a player or DM) is that the 30-45 minutes wouldn't be enough time to do stuff. Sometimes you'd have to leave off in the middle of something!

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog »

We're still working the details out, as one of the players might be the wife of one of my co-workers. If that's the case, we might end up playing at the co-worker's house. This might complicate things for me because I would likely have to bring my kids along (although my eldest, who turns 8 next week, could probably play); HOWEVER, we wouldn't be limited to lunch hours (2-3 hours, once or twice per month, is probably as much as I could sustain right now and maintain my other commitments).

If wife doesn't play, then we're at work, probably playing once per week.

My Blog is here!

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog »

Two characters are pretty much done:

1. A dwarf from the Syrklist Clan, whose father has an important post (rolled that on the social standing chart). The PC's father works at an embassy somewhere - likely in the country where the campaign will start (looks like Darokin or Thyatis right now).

2. An elf of mixed parentage (Grunalf and Belcadiz), from a comfortable background. Current thinking is that she's not quite at home in either culture (hence the reason for adventuring). PC history still being worked out.

The third character is shaping up to be a rake with a very "interesting" background.

I'm currently sifting canned adventures to get things started, as two of the players have never played OD&D before.

My Blog is here!

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Syrklist? But they have such silly helmets!

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles »

Seer of Yhog wrote:I'm currently sifting canned adventures to get things started, as two of the players have never played OD&D before.
Given the characters (all reasonably able to work as "fighters"), you could use the Arena of Thyatis/Legions of Thyatis pair.

G.

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog »

Ooooooh! Good idea, Agathokles! I've never run those before, and it would be a very convenient way to get them together.

While working away at other stuff this evening, I came up with an interesting NPC to introduce to them later, which would be an ideal vehicle to get them out to the Bayou. Never thought of sending a party there (I had been toying with sending them deep underground), but this has potential.

My Blog is here!

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog »

Havard wrote:Syrklist? But they have such silly helmets!

:lol:

"Come for the helmet, stay for the beer."

My Blog is here!

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog »

We had our first session today over lunch, with two of the characters. my goal was to get them to meet, and at least get them started on their first mini-adventure to teach them the mechanics of the game. We started in Corunglain, and after only 30 minutes of playing I now have two fleshed-out NPCs (who will pop up repeatedly), as well as two locations in town that could feature in future adventures:

- "The Shades": A run-down part of Corunglain, near the north wall. The dwarf was advised by a local dwarf to stay away, especially after dark ("They don't like short people down that way.") Which immediately has me thinking about reasons why such an attitude might exist, and why specifically at dwarves.

- "The Crossroads": Formerly a small keep, in a small plaza just off Billhook Lane. It became run down when the city grew around it. An adventurer bought it for a song abotu 100 years ago and turned it into a base for his party, and after he retired it became a pub/hangout for other retired adventurers. After he died his sons turned it into an inn that catered to adventurers, and it also became an informal hiring hall of sorts.

The players have officially met, and are now at the Crossroads, about to get an assignment.

My Blog is here!

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman »

Seer of Yhog wrote:- "The Shades": A run-down part of Corunglain, near the north wall. The dwarf was advised by a local dwarf to stay away, especially after dark ("They don't like short people down that way.") Which immediately has me thinking about reasons why such an attitude might exist, and why specifically at dwarves.
Cool! Depending on what your Corunglain looks like it could be that a gang of humanoid miscreants holds sway in the area, especially after dark... and they don't like dwarves. Or if goblinoid thugs don't work in your Corunglain, then what about elven ones? Perhaps some of their leaders have had run ins with the Thorns in the past and are looking to even the score with any dwarf they can get their hands on.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog »

****General warning to Britt and Luc: If you are on these boards, please do not read this thread. I will know.****
I'm actually thinking about how to work in something related to the Shimmering Lands. It was a great, dark dwarven nation that cast a long shadow over the surrounding peoples, some of whose descendants possibly migrated to the Streel Plain. The specifics of what happened to them were forgotten, but there could be a residual hate-on for dwarves. The question is, how to keep that hate going.

Or, there could be a contingent of Glantrian expats living there (mundaners), who fled when the magocracy was established. They might (for some twisted reason) think the dwarves are to blame for their situation.

Or, they could just be a segment of society who lost their jobs when the industrious dwarves moved in, and decided the blame them.

My Blog is here!

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman »

Hmmmm.... Let me ask you this. When those industrious dwarves moved in, did people start getting sick? :twisted:
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog »

They definitely could have...in fact, I think they should.

My Blog is here!

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog »

And in other news one of my players (the dwarf) sent me 5 pages of character background, complete with childhood friends and enough campaign hooks to string him along for months! Truly, the best gift a DM can receive. :D

He also had his father disappear while exploring an ancient delving under Dengar. This is a perfect hook to send the party underground, but whether I'll send them to the strange realm that was discovered, or not, is another matter. I have Ideas - more Ideas than I've had in ages. It feels good.

That cavern *could* be connected to the notion of the underground ocean (filled with ancient Cambrian monsters) that we tossed around earlier - and I could connect this to the lands of the Deep Carnifex. :D :D

Ideas...so many Ideas!!!!

I've already decided that I'm going to (finally!) run the Nightwail/Nightrage/Nightstorm trilogy on these guys, and actually send a party to the Hollow World. Now I have a deadline to revamp my Selhomarr Gaz. Hahahahaha.

EDIT: Now that this seems to be morphing into a campaign development thread, would it be possible to move this to the Crystal Globe?

My Blog is here!

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman »

Seer of Yhog wrote:They definitely could have...in fact, I think they should.
A couple more thoughts about dwarves in Corunglain. Corunglain is one of those places that would have been highly contested over during the course of the ages. Humans, humanoids, elves, and possibly even dwarves (during their expansionist period) all could have lived either on the site or nearby. I'm thinking that in particular the humanoids of Oenkmar and the dwarves of the Glittering Lands would have come to blows often, and Corunglain would have been well within the sphere of power of Oenkmar. What if the orcs, on one of their raids, managed to capture an ancient dwarven artifact and brought it back to Corunglain? The artifact itself could have dated back to the Shimmering Lands era and been full of Blackmoorian grade radiance.

The dwarves who move in now have found some secret knowledge that tells them the artifact should be nearby. Perhaps they also have some kind of technomagical tracking device, and are using that to perform archaeological excavations in secret in the caves under Corunglain. Once the device (whatever it is) picks up another radiance signal (from the tracking device) it starts becoming more active, and radiance begins seeping up from the depths of Corunglain to make folks sick. The dwarves don't notice that side effect (Kagyar made them largely immune so they might not even realize they are the cause of this sickness), but other folks might start to add things up - especially with a little dose of Glantrian anti-dwarf sentiment.

Not sure what the original purpose of the artifact was, or what plans the Moadreg (or their descendants) might have had for it when it was stolen.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman »

Seer of Yhog wrote:And in other news one of my players (the dwarf) sent me 5 pages of character background, complete with childhood friends and enough campaign hooks to string him along for months! Truly, the best gift a DM can receive. :D
Cool! Any chance this is electronic and you can share it with us?
Seer of Yhog wrote:I've already decided that I'm going to (finally!) run the Nightwail/Nightrage/Nightstorm trilogy on these guys, and actually send a party to the Hollow World. Now I have a deadline to revamp my Selhomarr Gaz. Hahahahaha.
I love these adventures... but I also think they leave a lot of gaping holes that would need to be filled in order for a real PC party to play through them. Shoring these adventures up is something I've been wanting to do for a long time. (Off the top of my head the two major problems I had with these adventures were 1) The Glantrian - humanoid relationship needs to be more developed and tracking down the princes and Kaze needs to be fleshed out a bit, and 2) I don't think I'd handle removing Clerical magic in the way the adventures suggest - that just seems unfair to cleric PCs). Anyway, I'd love to hear how you plan on handling them!
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Bouv
Cloud Giant

Post by Bouv »

Seer of Yhog wrote:And in other news one of my players (the dwarf) sent me 5 pages of character background, complete with childhood friends and enough campaign hooks to string him along for months! Truly, the best gift a DM can receive. :D
My girlfriend did the same thing on her character - missing brother! Bwahahahahaha!

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog »

Chimpman wrote:Cool! Any chance this is electronic and you can share it with us?
Luc has given his blessing - here it is, in slightly edited form:

Hrothgar Hammerfast, son of Heymdahl, of Clan Syrklist – DM Biographical Notes

Family mentioned in the history:

Hathbart (Grandfather)
Heymdahl (Father)
Halmthad (Uncle)
Hurthane (Uncle)
Gildred (Mother)
Deldrid (Sister)
Harwald (Brother)
Hothbred (Brother)
Hulfnihr (Brother)
Grunewald (Family retainer)

Friends:
Bronwynn (Friend – Female Dwarf)
Binwin (Friend – Male Dwarf)
Ovgar (Friend – Male Dwarf)
Calkin Ashworthy (Friend – Halfling)
Ishtiq Singh-Malik (Friend – Human)
Aedus Vivace (Friend – Human)

History:

Hathbart is the venerable Family head, and is a Dwarven Ambassador appointed by the Senate. He is well travelled and is well known at home and abroad in diplomatic circles. Publically, he is known to be one of the most outspoken critics of Dwarven isolationist policies and works tirelessly to promote greater Dwarven political, cultural, and trade relations with other nations. His passion and commitment to these ideas has meant that his family live in an environment much more open to outside cultures than most Dwarven families – and his position means that, when in Rockhome, he often entertains and spends time with Human and Halfling visitors.

Hathbart’s wife Elrayne passed away many years ago. They had three sons: Heymdahl, the eldest, Halmthad, the middle son, and Hurthane, the youngest. Heymdahl grew to manhood an especially talented engineer, with expertise in mining and architectural constructions. Living with the many outside cultural influences allowed and encouraged in his home, Heymdahl became fascinated with the practice of magical engineering, and with his father’s help, he obtained many rare books on the subject and sought training from human wizards friendly to his father. He even learned to read the Elven tongue, as many of his books were at least partly in the language of Alfheim – a rare interest among Dwarves.

Heymdahl married Gildred, a kind and soulful Dwarf woman with great talent in goldsmithing. Accomplished in many ways, Gildred had also studied nature and the healing arts. She bore him four sons and one daughter.

Harwald was the oldest, now 54, and was especially tall, handsome, and charming among Dwarves. He had been taken under the wing of his grandfather many years ago, and is clearly being groomed for eventual service to the Rockhome government. In spite of his relative youth, he has uncommon wisdom and a great breadth of experience in missions abroad.

Hothbred was the second son, now 46. Endowed with great physical strength and fortitude, Hothbred has been trained by and has entered into the service of an elite unit within the Dwarven military. Military exercises and expeditions keep him away from his family much of the time, but he is a merry and warm-hearted Dwarf at heart, though not especially wise or smart.

Deldrid was the only daughter of Heymdahl, now 25. A good and serene child, even in a busy house, she is devoted to her mother and has shown little interest in leaving home. As her mother did, she has studied the healing arts, and has devoted herself to learning the art of healing – from mixing potions to first aid.

Hulfnihr was the youngest son, only 19. Though fiery in spirit he has not grown as big or strong as his brothers. Neither is he particularly enamored with study, though he is quick witted and an insightful interlocutor. His greatest fascination is with nature, and takes every opportunity he can to travel within Rockhome to study its flora and fauna. He is excited to spend more time engaged in such activities after his 20th birthday when he is no longer counted a child.

Among such a varied group, Hrothgar, the middle child of 31, stood out mostly for his personality…though not in a good way. Impatient and with a natural inclination to speak his mind simply and without subtlety, Hrothgar is seen by most people outside his family as unpleasant company. Having few natural social skills, he has spent much of his time devoted to his interests in engineering and metalcraft. Though few people take the time to get to know him, he has a combination of unusual strength, intelligence, and dexterity that make him a fast learner and a very able student in his pursuits. In spite of his gruff exterior, he is also surprisingly sensitive and has a keen appreciation for beautiful things. He is naturally good and takes his obligations to Family, Clan, and Dwarven-kind very seriously, though he does not observe all the social niceties that that highly lawful and conscientious people find so important. As he has had relatively few friends in his life, he also takes commitments to his friends very seriously. Though he has cultivated few social skills, he likes to try and be humorous sometimes, though this will often result in more groans than laughs. Hrothgar’s relative lack of social skills also means that in social confrontations his only resort to convince others is intimidation – and if this fails or if he is not comfortable attempting to intimidate his interlocutor, he gets too frustrated to continue rationally. He also greatly likes physical exercise, and has trained in the arts of war with enthusiasm. His mother also took pains to train him in the rudimentary healing arts, through Hrothgar has found that he had a much more natural sense for shaping steel than sewing up wounds.

From an early age, Hrothgar showed great interest in objects that were both complex and elegant, both functional and beautiful. As he grew, it seemed likely that he would not be as great a public success as his two older brothers in life, but his father afforded him special attention and time as the shared a mutual fascination with the logic of form and structure in the study of engineering. His father was also pleased and delighted with his middle son’s quick progress to master the elements of metal crafting, and encouraged his son to practice regularly.

The fact that his house was relatively open to outside races meant that he made a number of friends that were not Dwarfs, including: Calkin Ashworthy, the son of a Halfling ambassador from the Four Shires; Ishtiq Singh-Malik, a human mystic from Ylaruam; and Aedus Vivace, a young Thyatian nobleman. Calkin is a high-spirited lad somewhat younger than Hrothgar but full of fun and tolerant of Hrothgar’s bad temper. While Calkin has been known to get Hrothgar into trouble before, they stay close because they share a love of beautiful and clever things, and both have good and true hearts. Ishtiq is a wandering mystic who has passed through Rockhome many times, and who has been invited to stay with Hrothgar’s family from time to time. Hrothgar was fascinated by Ishtiq’s martial arts, and so Ishtiq taught him the basics of hand-to-hand combat and defense. Aedus is an honourable young nobleman who’s father’s life was saved by Hathbart many years ago. The Vivace family still honours their debt to Hathbart and his family, and pays special visit to them often. Aedus, surprisingly, took the greatest liking to Hrothgar, as he found his frank nature refreshing and appreciated his plain talk.

These Human and Halfling friends, while honest and true, usually were not in Rockhome for more than a few years out of the last 20. His closest Dwarf friends include: Binwin and Bronwynn Bronzebite of clan Skyrlist, and Ovgar Oakoath of clan Skarrad. Binwin and Bronwynn are siblings of a comfortable family close to the Hammerfasts, both close in age to Hrothgar. Both are very lively and fun, and they are good friends, even though they enter into perpetual rivalries with each other. Their long familial association has given them the opportunity to get to know Hrothgar, and they often spend time together with him or try to drag him out to have fun. Ovgar is an even greater shut-in and social incompetent than Hrothgar, but at 35 he is already considered a genius and prodigy in the field of advanced technology. Both considered odd-balls, they share their enthusiasm for their fields of study and enjoy having each other for company.

Hrothgar’s life in the great city of Dengar is fairly uneventful for a young man of his station, until about two years before our campaign begins.

His father and grandfather were approached one night by representatives of a group of Skarrad and Syrklist Senators with secret news. They were greatly excited by it, but spoke only privately and told the family that the item was top secret. In the days that followed, Hathbart and Heymdahl spent a great deal of time out of the house in meetings. Some meetings were held in the family home, but Hrothgar could make out no details of what was happening.

One night not long after the representatives had first met with his father, Heymdahl sought out Hrothgar to tell him that he was leaving on an important mission commissioned by clans Skarrad and Syrklist. Though he could not discuss the details, he told Hrothgar that he was especially excited to share the details of everything with him once it was finished. He alluded to ancient secrets and great leaps forward for Dwarven knowledge that he might be able to help bring to light. Shortly after, he said his farewells to the rest of the family, and left, his destination a mystery.

A week later, grim-faced Dwarves arrived late in the evening with an urgent summons for Hathbart. While Hrothgar was the only one home, he knew the friend’s house at which Hathbart could be found, and led the messengers to him. The messengers insisted that Hathbart come with them immediately, and as Hrothgar was already with them and clearly concerned, Hathbart allowed Hrothgar to come with him.

They traveled deep into Dengar, to the great halls of the Senate itself, and there met a small group of senators and clerics engaged in restrained but bitter argument in which accusations and recriminations flew on both sides. It became clear to Hrothgar that some strange and ancient construction of great significant and mystery had recently been found deep under the mountain, where few Dwarves dare to tread. A secret expedition had been launched not long ago to secure the way to it and study it, and it was this expedition that his father was engaged upon.

What happened in the deep dark place was unknown, but it seemed that there had been some disaster. An old Dwarf had returned to the surface from the party, alone, and in considerable distress; his clothes torn and dirty, his beard and hair ragged and wild, and his speech confused and nonsensical.

Little notice was taken of Hrothgar, and Hathbart joined the argument demanding to speak to the returned Dwarf for news of his son. It became clear that he was in a room closely adjoined, but at first the clerics would not allow it. Hathbart would not be put off though, and reluctantly the clerics allowed Hathbart (with Hrothgar who stayed close with him) in to see the returned Dwarf.

In his room, the Dwarf huddled muttering in the corner, shunning chair and cot for cold stone. When Hathbart greeted him, he did not respond, but when asked about the expedition, he went suddenly silent. In a barely audible and almost hollow voice he began speaking, but only the odd phrase could be discerned, and even these sounded mad; he spoke of “sepulchral aeons,” of “the delvings of Others,” of “a colour out of space.” Though disturbed, Hathbart pressed anew, asking questions of his son, but the returned Dwarf continued, his voice increasing in volume, as he invoked monstrous images of a “cyclopean, miasmal aperture,” of “the sunless eternal sea, swimming with things that should not be,” of “the undying red sun”, and other madness. Hathbart moved to approach the other Dwarf as he seemed to be becoming agitated, but one of the clerics held him back, and the Dwarf went on his voice becoming shrill and loud: “…He comes! He comes! The Corruptor! The Defiler of Souls and Destroyer of Nations! Yurrgh-Thal! [ED Note 1: Luc originally wrote Yog-Sothoth - I changed this to suit the campaign]” As he repeated these cries, the dwarf turned, hunched like an animal, and stared with black and wild eyes at those who had disturbed him.

When the senior officials present had finished their arguments, it was resolved that this issue was to be kept secret, and that all Dwarfs lost under the mountain would be presumed dead. The official story was released a few days later, which stated that a cave-in had occurred and caused the great loss of a special reconnaissance party sent down to scout and secure new mining opportunities. While Hrothgar and Hathbart knew differently, they were sworn to secrecy.

This affair shook both son and grandfather tremendously, and the whole family mourned the loss of Heymdahl. Everyone noticed that Hrothgar became much more private, irritable, and uncommunicative afterwards, though none but his grandfather truly understood why. Hrothgar became obsessed with studying his father’s books, teaching himself the language of the elves, as his father had done, which he needed to read many of them. He also began to acquire many other tomes on magical engineering and crafting, and studied them in secret.

In time, it became clear to his family that Hrothgar needed to be prodded to take up other occupations outside of his obsessions. And he has, over the past year, returned more or less to his former self, though he still feels a burning need to understand his father’s last work and mysterious death. The most recent of these is a task given to him by his grandfather is to travel, for the first time, out of Rockhome to help in setting up a consulate in the city of Corunglain, in Darokin.

[ED Note 2: I added the part below]

Hrothgar remembers this clearly:

“Works…there were works down there! Built by other hands…like the Black Tooth, yet unlike it…simpler…more primitive.

“My cousin…he knows the Tooth…Glorin Hammerhand. He knows…he knows…he knows…”

[ED Note 3: The Black Tooth is the remnant of an ancient fortress of Mogreth, which the dwarves discovered on the mountainous fringes of that fallen nation. The architecture is similar to what the dwarven party found deep underground, and this is a hook to get the party to track down Glorin and get more information, and possibly visit the Black Tooth - i.e., dungeon crawl]

[ED Note 4: Luc threw in the Lovecraftian elements without any prompting from me, which is very, very handy]

My Blog is here!

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman »

:o

Really... just :o I can see why you're so thrilled with this bio! He's got a brother in the government, one in the military, an ambassador for a grandfather and a missing father (among other things)!

Heymdahl's expedition and subsequent disappearance actually parallel a historical event in Shimmering Lands history to a great degree! Lugett Yardrak travels into the depths of the world (in BC 2874 - BC 2853) searching for the salvation of his people. What he finds instead are the Deep Elves, who teach him (and eventually his kin) their dark arts and spread the practice of fiend worship to the Yardrak dwarves.

The BC 2874 event might be especially interesting to you, since that details Lugett's writings (much of which might actually have been done in ancient elvish despite the fact that the dwarf himself didn't know the language). The way I see it, Lugett had some kind of psychic link with the elves who sent him visions of the "dwarven salvation". Needless to say, neither the elves nor Lugett's visions are to be trusted.... however, the point is that Lugett's tome might just be one that Hrothgar (or his father) has collected over the years. Although I originally envisioned the Deep Elves as demon worshipers ,that aspect of their culture could easily be shifted to (and or combined with) worship of the outer beings.

Now that I think more on the subject, such Deep Elf involvement could find its way all the way back to Corunglain... perhaps engineered by some Shadow Elf who has fallen back into the ancient ways (pre Rafiel) of his people.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman »

Ok... I had another thought while walking down the hallway...

What might be underneath Dengar that would be of interest to the dwarves? We know that back in Shimmering Lands time the process for creating Soulforged was perfected and widely used. That being the process of extracting a dwarven soul from its body (as an Elder's way of extending their own life) and placing it into a new body made of stone. Denwarf (Dranwyrf back then) himself went through the process at one point and has survived through the ages to come back and help his people at various points in time.

However, we know something else about Denwarf... eventually he went crazy. What if the bodies of the Soulforged allowed more than just the dwarven soul to get inside. What if Other Things could get inside too. That might be why the creation of Soulforged bodies fell out of fashion after the Shimmering Lands collapsed. Denwarf could be an anomaly... probably protected to some extent by Kagyar so that he could complete the tasks his immortal patron had set for him, but other Soulforged would have become corrupted by the Outer Beings and would have been destroyed by their peers.

So what might sit beneath Dengar? Could it be remnants of Denwarf's original Estate... remnants that include the apparatus and knowledge required to create a Soulforged body? If so, some unscrupulous dwarves might want to gain such knowledge, either to create their own Soulforged bodies, or to create an army of Soulforged warriors (filled with who knows what). Either way, should such knowledge come back into use, Bad Things(TM) are sure to happen.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN »

Chimpman wrote:We know that back in Shimmering Lands time the process for creating Soulforged was perfected and widely used. That being the process of extracting a dwarven soul from its body (as an Elder's way of extending their own life) and placing it into a new body made of stone. Denwarf (Dranwyrf back then) himself went through the process at one point and has survived through the ages to come back and help his people at various points in time.

However, we know something else about Denwarf... eventually he went crazy. What if the bodies of the Soulforged allowed more than just the dwarven soul to get inside. What if Other Things could get inside too. That might be why the creation of Soulforged bodies fell out of fashion after the Shimmering Lands collapsed. Denwarf could be an anomaly... probably protected to some extent by Kagyar so that he could complete the tasks his immortal patron had set for him, but other Soulforged would have become corrupted by the Outer Beings and would have been destroyed by their peers.

So what might sit beneath Dengar? Could it be remnants of Denwarf's original Estate... remnants that include the apparatus and knowledge required to create a Soulforged body? If so, some unscrupulous dwarves might want to gain such knowledge, either to create their own Soulforged bodies, or to create an army of Soulforged warriors (filled with who knows what). Either way, should such knowledge come back into use, Bad Things(TM) are sure to happen.
Hmm. This sounds a bit like a certain process performed at a certain facility, but with a body made mostly of flesh, rather than stone.... And we've seen just the beginning of what happens when a presence other than the intended one takes up residence inside the shell...
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Return to “The Magic Mirror”