Running an adventure at CanGames 2012!

Mirror, mirror, so tall and so grand, show me the nearest gaming group in the land.
Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Running an adventure at CanGames 2012!

Post by Seer of Yhog »

Hi all,

OD&D returns to CanGames yet again! If you are in or near Ottawa on May 19, 2012, from 2-6 p.m., come on down and play a new adventure entitled “Aldaris’s Trident”. The promo text is below:

“The shores of Lake Selmar, and the village of Prallis, are normally tranquil – except during the Rising. The locals have endured this terror for decades, but now innocent travellers have been attacked. Can the party stage a daring rescue and put an end to the Rising, forever?”

An underwater menace! Daring rescues! The very real prospect of a messy and horrible death! What is there not to love about this?

If you are in the Ottawa area and intend to come, please pre-register online and let me know – my OD&D event is always full, and I’ve had to turn people away.

As a standard benefit I give fellow Piazzans at all my convention games (because we don’t have decoder rings or secret handshakes), I will let you use your own 1st-3rd level OD&D PC (rather than one of the pre-gens), provided you run it by me beforehand. I reserve the right to remove magic items I deem inappropriate or unbalancing. All RC + Gazetteer/Dragon magazine classes and races will be considered.
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Re: Running an adventure at CanGames 2012!

Post by Seer of Yhog »

I should also note that this module will be set in Selhomarr - my first time running something in the Hollow World, in my own setting! ;-)

My Blog is here!

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan »

Seer of Yhog wrote:Hi all,

OD&D returns to
When you say OD&D do you mean basic or Advanced D&D first edition ? I'm in Montreal and have been to CanGames a few years back. This is very tempting. Just have to check $$$ and with significant other.

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog »

Hi - I mean BECMI/Basic/Rules Cyclopedia when I say OD&D (as opposed to AD&D).

My Blog is here!

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog »

As a teaser, here is the adventure background (which summarises the past two adventures I've run at the Con):

The Story So Far…. (Part 3)

A reclusive, wealthy man hired your party to find the Crocodile’s Tear, an immense sapphire rumoured to be somewhere on the southern continent of Davania, across the aptly named Sea of Dread. 4,000 lucins each, plus expenses – sweet! After a perilous adventure you located the Tear and brought it back to Thyatis. The man paid your expenses on the spot (plus a bonus), and told you to take the Tear to his master’s house in Corunglain to get the rest.

A band of highwaymen, led by a mage, waylaid you. They froze you while they took the Tear, your horses, and a good chunk of your money. You followed them to a thinly settled hilly country, where you found yourselves protecting the locals from an ancient undead menace. By the time you cleared everything up the thieves were long gone, and other powers had moved in to claim the lands you had made safe. You were drafted into a greedy lord’s service, and ended up rotting in one of his rival’s dungeons. There it would have ended, if it weren’t for Kyra, who helped you escape.

You picked up the thieves’ trail again in the sleepy port town of Jaboor, where the only excitement is the occasional pirate raid. The pirates visited, and the emir offered you a hefty sum to chase them back to their island lair to recover some treasures. The pirates were easy enough to deal with, but they were led by a mage, who escaped into a huge metal box of some kind. You followed him, and ended up in a realm run by lizard men, where humans were slaves. But you were saved by an enigmatic lizard man sorcerer named Tuurash, who needed someone to locate something for him. You were also accompanied by the wizard you had been chasing, but you couldn’t kill him because he seemed to know a lot about the place you were in, which was called Mogreth. It seems you had travelled 3,000 years back in time! You found what Tuurash wanted (it was guarded, naturally). Strangely, it was that magic box that brought you to Mogreth in the first place. The wizard managed to get it running, and helped you return home. He gave you the slip, though.

Wanting a fresh start, you headed down to Thyatis City, where there are lots of privateering opportunities right now. You weren’t there 20 minutes when some nattily dressed fellow offered you 2,000 lucins to be part of an expedition. Reasoning that it couldn’t be any worse than what you’ve done already, you signed on. The vessel turned out to be a skyship, which flew north, past the Arctic lands, into a realm of darkness. It seems the man financing this expedition believed the world was hollow, and wanted to find a route to it.

All the enchantments failed soon after entering the dark zone, and you crashed in the middle of nowhere. Many people went missing, but the rest trudged through the frozen wastes – and found yourselves in a land with a red sun. Horrible beasts chased you for weeks, and a few of you made it to warmer climes.

After several misadventures (including one in a place called Mogreth – figure that one out), during which you have met a few natives, you have found yourselves in a place called Selhomarr. It’s an empire of some kind, and the people seem normal – more or less. You’re at loose ends right now – something is bound to happen…

My Blog is here!

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman »

:mrgreen:
I love how you tie everything together. ...It'd make a nice novel or two... ;)
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog »

It sure would be a fun novel. Perhaps....perhaps.... ;)

My Blog is here!

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog »

Just checked the latest schedule update and my event is now full, with more than a month to go! :D

My Blog is here!

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog »

Well, with a bit under two weeks to go I've worked out the character backgrounds, and I'll be rolling up the stats shortly. Then, a quick re-read of the HW boxed set to make sure I get the feel for the setting right. One of my regular players will be playing in this adventure too, and he may be taking pics as I run the game. Mystaran action shots! :D

These will be the party members:

Rolo Rustegos (a Shires hin on the run)
Anthara Elstar (Darokinian bard extraordinaire)
Thessia of Carithtelios (a cleric of Xeron)
Julius Aurelius (Thyatian Forester)
Slizzesh (a former soldier of the Third Empire of Mogreth)
Kyra Petrakos (a Kastelian thief)

My Blog is here!

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman »

Nice! This really makes me wish I could get over to CanGames this year... but sadly that doesn't seem to be in the realm of possibilities at the moment :(

I love that you included Slizzesh as a pre-rolled character. I assume that his back story is that he came through the time portal after the last adventure you ran. Since you are using BECMI rules I'd be very interested in seeing the mechanics for this character.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog »

Chimpman wrote:Nice! This really makes me wish I could get over to CanGames this year... but sadly that doesn't seem to be in the realm of possibilities at the moment :(
Someday, perhaps, we'll be able to run a Mystara tournament! GaryCon might be an appropriate venue.
Chimpman wrote:I love that you included Slizzesh as a pre-rolled character. I assume that his back story is that he came through the time portal after the last adventure you ran. Since you are using BECMI rules I'd be very interested in seeing the mechanics for this character.
Actually, Slizzesh is a HW native - he's from the Third Empire of Mogreth, which was transplanted around BC 2000 (just before the original was washed away). I've placed it in the large swamp in northern Suridal, which gives me yet another longer-term project to work on, and it makes Selhomarr a more interesting and dangerous place - 3000 years of living side-by-side have given each nation enough time to get a nice hate-on going.

I'll post more soon!

My Blog is here!

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman »

Seer of Yhog wrote:
Chimpman wrote:Nice! This really makes me wish I could get over to CanGames this year... but sadly that doesn't seem to be in the realm of possibilities at the moment :(
Someday, perhaps, we'll be able to run a Mystara tournament! GaryCon might be an appropriate venue.
Yes, I'd like to be around when that happens. I need to do more traveling with the family anyway, so this would be a good excuse to get away for a while.
Seer of Yhog wrote:Actually, Slizzesh is a HW native - he's from the Third Empire of Mogreth, which was transplanted around BC 2000 (just before the original was washed away). I've placed it in the large swamp in northern Suridal, which gives me yet another longer-term project to work on, and it makes Selhomarr a more interesting and dangerous place - 3000 years of living side-by-side have given each nation enough time to get a nice hate-on going.
Ahhhh... ok I missed the "Third" part. Still just as interesting though. Is there much of a mechanical difference between Mogreth Lizardfolk and those from Malpheggi? I'm guessing probably not much (if any) since the Malpheggi would be descended from Mogreth on the OW. Anyway, looking forward to seeing what you come up with here.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog »

Stats for the new characters pretty much done. Slizzesh ended up being quite the potential bad@$$. Will post his stats once fully complete.

My Blog is here!

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog »

Well, characters are basically done, and I'm skimming the HW boxed set to see which spells won't work in the HW, and to get other details to help me convey the "alien-ness" of the place.

Running an adventure in the HW is also helping me refine my thoughts on Mogreth and Selhomarr. I've invented a cultural weapon for the Selhomarrian PC, and fleshed out weapon mastery stats for it, as well as the Mogrethian falcata (one- and two-handed varieties) - the latter of which would be needed for the Mogreth Gaz, anyway. I've also, in re-reading the segments on the Malpheggi Lizard Men, realised that I need to create a Mogrethian Lizard Man PC race, because the differences in culture are significant enough that the Malpheggi template doesn't have the breadth I need to capture everything.

More thoughts in the Mogreth thread.

My Blog is here!

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog »

Well, another CanGames has come and gone, and this one was another success. I had a full table; one of the players (Slizzesh) had played in my D&D adventure 4-5 years ago (Shadow Over Pendleton - free at Dragonsfoot.org), and another (Rolo) was from my regular D&D group. The rest were all old hands at the game, and were surprised by the strange book I was using - they had switched to AD&D 1st Ed. back in the day, and never knew that "Basic" had evoled to the Rules Cyclopedia prior to being discontinued.

I launched them into the adventure quickly, and they were suitably heroic. I don't have time to post a play-by-play, but here are some of the things that stuck with me:

Rolo the halfling's character notes describe him as being a confidence man, and the player pushed that to maximum effect. Any chance he could, he tried to cheat the locals out of their gold through card tricks (complicated by the fact that Selhomarrians don't use cards, and the SoP prevented most of them from getting interested in his game), and when that didn't work he tried to claim credit for other people's achievements ("Hey, I did lead that girl to safety - give a guy a break!"), and avoided working whenever he could (he was detailled to help secure a boat, but in the bustle sneaked back to the inn to have a few drinks and a "snack" while the others worked). Needless to say, he always managed to avoid getting into the thick of battle, and picked off enemies with his sling.

Kyra the thief's player used her low Wisdom to maximum effect. In the final scene, she decided to head down the other passageway (you know, the one that didn't echo with the sounds of battle). She found herself in a small, damp cave whose walls were covered with softly glowing red moss, as well as clusters of what looked a lot like stony grapefruits. Naturally, it made perfect sense to her to prod one of them with her dagger. Poof! Enveloped in a choking cloud of spores. She managed to stagger outside, failing her save every round, inching closer to death. And then, on the very last round, she made her save. What did she do then? Why, go back into that cave, of course, and continue exploring! She just escaped being made into a grey ooze's meal in the next cave, and then quietly returned to her group. "Where the hell were you?" they asked.

Gasping, and obviously in bad shape, she drew herself up to her full height and said, "I was protecting our rear!"

My Blog is here!

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog »

....and now I'm pondering what I'll run next year. Something in Littonia perhaps, or I may continued with another Hollow World adventure.

My Blog is here!

Return to “The Magic Mirror”