An Insane Idea

We left our old worlds, each of us. This is it. We can't go any farther. This is The Edge.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: An Insane Idea

Post by Big Mac » Sat May 02, 2009 1:34 pm

Ashtagon wrote:I'm thinking, if we kitchen-sink it, we could start by taking the real-world pantheons written up in deities and demigods, and do original research to write them up properly. I'm sure more than a little game-reality has crept into the tsr/wotc versions of these pantheons.
That may or may not end up being something that Thorf wants to incorporate in the "core" of "Pizza World", but I actually think that detailed "drag and drop" pantheons of gods could be really helpful for a GM who wants to add some new culture to any other campaign world.

If pantheons are optional, then rather that creating a kitchen-sink world, you allow the GM to customise the world. They could add as many pantheons as they want or even mix and match gods between the pantheons.

As well as looking into how individual churches of specific gods within a pantheon might work, it might also be interesting to look at the culture as a whole and see how a multi-god church might work.
Thorf wrote:Well, it seems there's no keeping a lid on the enthusiasm to get on with this project. :D I get busy for one day and look what happens! :lol:
It looks good.

I think the main problem you might get is that people (inevitably) all want to push the thing in slightly different directions. I think you would need to decide what the "primary" objective was and then (without banning other ideas) make it clear that anything else is a "secondary" project.

For example, anything involving travel to other planes (or dimensions or the afterlife) is going to be complex to set up. It is really a setting in its own right. The same goes for anything involving travel to space.

I think your primary objective should be to build the world. The other two things I mentioned could be sub-projects (and might even deserve having sub-forums).

As for building the world, I love your idea of the random map. I also love the idea of using a kitchen sink approach with gods. There are a lot of cultures in the world and (if someone brought some of them out of the cuboard and to the RPG table) people could enjoy exploring them, while learning a bit about some random part of the real world. But again, it is possibly too much to organise in one go.

Maybe (after designing the global map) you could focus on one small continent and then come back to other areas and treat each one of them as a campaign expansion. A modular approach like this, could allow you to get something finished fairly fast, but still allow space for all the other interesting ideas to be dragged and dropped.

I'd be more keen to work on a space sub-project, if I could find the time, and as I said, I'd like to go for a multi-licence approach for anything I did for that, but I think that would stand in the way of "the world" if that was done now. It should take a back-seat role.

I also think that the multi-licence approach is something that can encourage things like a fantasy space subsetting or a alternative planes/afterworld subsetting to be used with other campaign worlds. However, the main campaign world probably doesn't need to have that level of compatability built into it.

(I would probably prefer to work on my own - and also donate a CC version of my ideas for fantasy-space to this project - rather than polute Thorf's project with my "Brave New World" idea of making a copyrighted, but totally open, fantasy space setting that works with the OGL, OSRIC, Basic Fantasy and everything else on the market. Local things like how cultures on Thorf's planet (and the other planets in Thorf's planetary system) interact with space would not need to be shared outside of the CC licence. But, I figure that a "core-system", that gives the connectivity mechanisms the basic principles and probably some "shared" space monsters, ships and widespread organisations, would be all that needs to be ported over to every system.)

(The same sort of thing might apply if you were to collect basic information about a real-world culture's gods, weapons, tools and general background and then create something that could be ported over to the OGL to create a barebones SRD for the 3.5 version of "the worlds most well known fantasy rules", OSRIC or anything else. You essentially have the opportunity to use "Pizza World R&D" to benifit other games. But only if the thing is republished under the appropriate licence. Republication could actually be a good thing as you could have a dozen, or more, highly-detailed oriental Pizza World cultures - based on both mythology and CC brainstorming sessions, but then yank out all the Pizza World specific goodies when creating a 3.5 "Oriental SRD".)
Thorf wrote:That said... I want to make sure we have the legal situation in hand right from the start. Anything else could lead us into huge problems later on. The way to do this is to move our discussions to a new sub-forum, with a clear legal notice. And I think we also need to restate the legal notice at the beginning of each thread.

This should do it:
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License. By posting in this thread, you are agreeing to release your own words and creations under the same license. Your work remains your own property, but you agree to share it as long as you are credited and it is not used for commercial purposes without your permission.
I don't know if it's enough to edit this notice into existing threads - we might be safer just to start new ones.
How about one thread (sort of like a hello thread) where everyone confirms that they have read the CC licence and is happy to donate their ideas (within the forum) to the project. That way, if anyone new starts posting, the moderators add a note to their posts that says something along the lines of: "Please read <thread X> and confirm that you are happy to contribute your work to this Creative Commons project. If you do not confirm that you wish to join this project, this post will be deleted." They could also PM the new person with a standard "Welcome to Pizza World" message that gives a link to a FAQ thread.

There is another thing that you need to make clear - something very important - people may only contribute their "own work" to this project. People can not grab random content from obscure RPG books or fantasy novels and try to use this project as a way to launder some stolen IP. Some generic concepts can probably be used as inspiration, but specific names and detailed descriptions are a no-no. People need to take that onboard and somehow confirm that they understand.

(Don't forget that - if someone is slow to respond - their posts don't actually need to be deleted. They could be shunted over to the Black Pudding. That way if the person goes on holiday for 6 months and then comes back and realises they didn't read the FAQ and confirm their contributions were "their own work", they can get a post reinstated and other people can build on their ideas.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Idabrius
Hill Giant

Post by Idabrius » Sat May 02, 2009 1:50 pm

Big Mac wrote: highly-detailed oriental Pizza World cultures
Somehow I knew it would come down to Pizza.

10th Age books on Lulu
10th Age and 2e downloads on the Frothing Mug

Moderator of the Homebrew, Birthright, Planescape, Dark Sun, and the Orc's Revenge boards. My moderator voice is green.

maddog
Frost Giant

Post by maddog » Sat May 02, 2009 7:06 pm

Idabrius wrote:
Big Mac wrote: highly-detailed oriental Pizza World cultures
Somehow I knew it would come down to Pizza.
There's lots of ocean out there too. Extra Anchovies for everyone!
---
Hey! I just became a frost giant!
My Moderator voice is in Green.
Moderator of Dragonlance forum.

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Mon May 04, 2009 7:16 pm

I've skimmed the thread, and love the idea.

Count me in.
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!

metal
Stone Giant

Post by metal » Wed May 06, 2009 3:59 am

maddog wrote:There's lots of ocean out there too. Extra Anchovies for everyone!
.........and dragon turtles!!!!!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
metal
Long live Mystara
"I'll fire aimlessly if you don't come out!"

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri May 08, 2009 1:30 pm

metal wrote:
maddog wrote:There's lots of ocean out there too. Extra Anchovies for everyone!
.........and dragon turtles!!!!!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Hmm. My old "Pizza" typo has returned to haunt me. But a world with a few animal headed humanoids would be fun, as far as I am concerned. If that includes some turtles, that is good with me.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:34 pm

Thorf wrote:In our community (formerly Mystara community, now including the expanded Piazza community) we have an awful lot of talent: writers of all kinds, historians, cartographers, and even some artists. But I have often thought that in some ways all of our talent goes to waste - not because what we are doing is not worthwhile, but because we are working under the yoke of a copyrighted setting. Because of this fact, not only do we have limited options on what we can do, but in fact we live at the whim of the copyright holders, who could in theory shut us all down at any minute. Everything we create is constantly threatened by this, even if we don't think the threat will ever become a reality. On top of that our setting is out of print and we don't have the right to actively advertise it, which means that our community is pretty much limited to people who were fans of the original printed works during their release 20 or more years ago.
Indeed, all of this is precisely why I am profoundly opposed to the current state of affairs.
:idea: What if we created our own world? :D
I predict "too many cooks" syndrome will take little time to strike. Besides, a lot of the time, the copyright specifically restricts the use of some of the coolest aspects of what we want to work from (eg Mind Flayers). You can create a thinly-disguised ripoff and file away the serial numbers, but it's just not the same.

Saltwater1
Gnoll

Post by Saltwater1 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:59 am

We'd also need to decide what game this would be played in. 3e? 5e? Burning Wheel? All of the above?

Also, I'm in if you can't tell. Willpell, who says we need mind flayers? Couldn't we just create our own, original creatures, and not "thinly disguised copies"?
"Join me, my bushes! To war we go!" -A very resourceful wood elf druid

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:39 am

As I recall, the intent was to make this campaign setting both independent of IP issues (except that it should be OGL- compatible in order to use SRD critters with no questions, valid or spurious), and edition-neutral.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

Saltwater1
Gnoll

Post by Saltwater1 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:22 pm

Sorry, must have missed that some where. My mistake.
"Join me, my bushes! To war we go!" -A very resourceful wood elf druid

Return to “The Edge”