The Edge (proposed campaign concept)

We left our old worlds, each of us. This is it. We can't go any farther. This is The Edge.
Ashtagon
Hierarch

The Edge (proposed campaign concept)

Post by Ashtagon » Sun May 10, 2009 3:30 pm

"We left our old worlds, each of us. This is it. We can't go any farther. This is The Edge."

Campaign Concept: A frontier world with plenty of marine action, and immigrants who bring a mix of technologies and cultures. A vast array of portals, inbound-only and two-way, covers the planet.

Heroes are generally a mix of humans, demi-humans, and lizardfolk. Other races may be available as less-common playable races. Long-distance air travel should be generally impossible, with ships being the primary travel mode instead. No playable race should have flight or (especially) natural swimming speed or water breathing abilities.

Objectives: Uniting various city states and factions, or found a new nation-state. At high levels, the discovery of what is actually beyond The Edge, and perhaps fighting it and preventing its plans for expansion over the whole world, makes for the campaign-ending climax.

The Edge is a vast "chasm" in the ocean, a vast circle about 4000 miles across (about the size of the North Atlantic). Here, the ocean waters are calm, but drop suddenly, as if the waters are held back by some magical force. Beyond The Edge is a vast undead empire, ruled by a cabal of wizard-liches intent on expanding their domain.

Other notes: No reason we can't introduce steampunk concepts, or even limited amounts of modern or future-tech into the setting. Clockwork golems as playable races? Sure. I think lizardfolk fit well with the aquatic core theme. Are myconids (fungus-men) open content? They could work too. Plant-based races could be difficult to work in if they are much more alien than a treant in physiology (or much bigger than a regular human), but I'm not ruling them out. I'm open on how humanoid races would fit in. The BBEG living in the Edge could be almost anything, not necessarily an undead empire.

So, how's this for a campaign concept?
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

hihama
Vesihiisi

Re: The Edge (proposed campaign concept)

Post by hihama » Sun May 10, 2009 5:55 pm

I think that amphibians might be even more suitable for this theme than lizardfolk.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Mon May 11, 2009 4:34 pm

Ashtagon wrote:"We left our old worlds, each of us. This is it. We can't go any farther. This is The Edge."

Campaign Concept: A frontier world with plenty of marine action, and immigrants who bring a mix of technologies and cultures. A vast array of portals, inbound-only and two-way, covers the planet.
I really like the first line - I think it sums up many of our campaign ideas nicely. But I would say that "The Edge" might refer equally as well to the entire setting, and not just to the physical edge of the ocean. This is the place that every race and culture has been pushed to by forces in their own (home) worlds. I also like the idea that only now, that all of these disparate races and cultures have come together, can they stand up to whatever is out there beyond.

As far as setting names go, I think you've hit the nail on the head. It's The Edge. ... a world name, we'll still need to come up with.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Tue May 12, 2009 3:19 pm

I like this concept a lot. I also think that amphibious races are a natural fit, too.

[EDIT: Woohoo! Hill giant!]
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Tue May 12, 2009 3:38 pm

I had wanted to keep amphibians out as PCs. Because they are water breathers for the juvenile stage of the life cycle, they are a bit too closely tied to water. As adults, they are primarily air-breathers (the egg stage lasts about a week; tadpole stage between week and 3 months, and adult stage about 40 years or more). However, some species of frog can breathe through their skin while underwater (presumably with only limited amounts of exertion). This ability to exist without air is a bit of a deal-breaker, and why I want to avoid amphibians; it reduces the need for large sailing ships.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Wed May 13, 2009 6:38 am

Ashtagon wrote:I had wanted to keep amphibians out as PCs. Because they are water breathers for the juvenile stage of the life cycle, they are a bit too closely tied to water. As adults, they are primarily air-breathers (the egg stage lasts about a week; tadpole stage between week and 3 months, and adult stage about 40 years or more). However, some species of frog can breathe through their skin while underwater (presumably with only limited amounts of exertion). This ability to exist without air is a bit of a deal-breaker, and why I want to avoid amphibians; it reduces the need for large sailing ships.
We can always rule the existence without air away. Just make them in sense more similar than lizardmen and other humanoids. What I mean is that they should still be able to stay longer underwater than the rest but breathe through their skin.

Allen Varney
Bugbear

Post by Allen Varney » Wed May 13, 2009 7:45 am

Really, I hate puns, honest I do, but I confess when I saw this premise, my very first thought was of a guild of sages, expert in the lore of the ocean gap, known as the "Edgewise." Yeah, I know, sorry.

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Wed May 13, 2009 7:58 am

Hmm, for frogs, how about this:

* Skin-breathing: Although frogs have a limited ability to breathe through their skin, they prefer to breathe air. If immersed in water, they use the limited amount of oxygen they can absorb through their skin. They can act normally for (Constitution) rounds, then they are fatigued for (Constitution) rounds, then exhausted for (Constitution) *minutes*. After this, they enter a sleep-like state in which their muscles relax and they float to the surface, which wakes them up. Returning to the air removes these penalties immediately. They are subject to the normal suffocating rules if they cannot breathe air and are not immersed in water.

That's good enough to allow for a short fight in dire situations or to swim through a submerged passage and pull a lever, but is useless for long-distance travel, and rapidly gets overtaken by magical assistance.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Wed May 13, 2009 10:00 am

Ashtagon wrote:Hmm, for frogs, how about this:

* Skin-breathing: Although frogs have a limited ability to breathe through their skin, they prefer to breathe air. If immersed in water, they use the limited amount of oxygen they can absorb through their skin. They can act normally for (Constitution) rounds, then they are fatigued for (Constitution) rounds, then exhausted for (Constitution) *minutes*. After this, they enter a sleep-like state in which their muscles relax and they float to the surface, which wakes them up. Returning to the air removes these penalties immediately. They are subject to the normal suffocating rules if they cannot breathe air and are not immersed in water.

That's good enough to allow for a short fight in dire situations or to swim through a submerged passage and pull a lever, but is useless for long-distance travel, and rapidly gets overtaken by magical assistance.
Sounds very good. I really would like to see more prominent "amphinoid" presence here than other settings. For instance, instead of kobolds and goblins, you could have "frogoids" and "toadoids".

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Wed May 13, 2009 10:17 am

hihama wrote:Sounds very good. I really would like to see more prominent "amphinoid" presence here than other settings. For instance, instead of kobolds and goblins, you could have "frogoids" and "toadoids".
You might be on to something there. Humans, demi-humans, and amphibiods. And clockwork men, of course ;)

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Wed May 13, 2009 10:29 am

These amphibiods could be the original inhabitants of the world resenting the others who they as intruders.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:12 am

Allen Varney wrote:Really, I hate puns, honest I do, but I confess when I saw this premise, my very first thought was of a guild of sages, expert in the lore of the ocean gap, known as the "Edgewise." Yeah, I know, sorry.
It might be worth using those "Edgewise" sages, just so that we can list "Allen Varney" in the credits! :twisted:
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

LoZompatore
Hill Giant

Post by LoZompatore » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:02 pm

It might be worth using those "Edgewise" sages, just so that we can list "Allen Varney" in the credits! :twisted:
For sure we can! I really missed this suggestion when it was written on this topic. There could also be Edgewise outposts scattered on islands and coastlines all around the Edge. Expeditions could be led at more or less regular times to explore the Edge and gather new information. Of course, being the Edge an hostile region inhabited by undead and monsters, many of such expeditions are deemed to failure. The Edgewises are nevertheless a great way to introduce PCs to this area of the setting.

Great idea! Allen Varney is definitely on board in the credit's list. ;)

Return to “The Edge”