The Fiori Hills

We left our old worlds, each of us. This is it. We can't go any farther. This is The Edge.
Ashtagon
Hierarch

Re: The Fiori Hills

Post by Ashtagon » Wed May 19, 2010 4:22 pm

Somehow, I just can't imagine Brixton as a constitutional monarchy :lol:
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Post by Boddynock » Wed May 19, 2010 4:54 pm

Well on paper its suppose to be a constitutional monarchy. The gnomes technically get to vote for whoever serves in the parliament, they just happen the candidates just happen to have the kings endorsement. Also the charter of gnomes guarantees the right to lodge complaints, assemble in protest and so forth and all city states are suppose to respect these rights (the idea is that other city states, upon hearing gross negligence against the charter would align and remove the problem. Sort of like how the U.N. is suppose to work.)
Check out my blog http://boddynock-te.blogspot.com/

Support your local gnome!

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Wed May 19, 2010 5:28 pm

Sorry, I should have been clearer. Brixton is a borough of London, which certainly used to be notorious for the amount of rioting that went on there - it was widely regarded as a failed inner-city area, dangerous place to be at any time of day.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Post by Boddynock » Wed May 19, 2010 5:36 pm

It is? Its funny but I'm sort of borrowing a lot of these elements from an old campaign setting idea I was working on based around Port Kyna and one of the villages I named Brixton Heights, I never was quite sure how that name sounded familiar until just now. I probably misstated the idea I was going with Brixton (a lot of this is the rough draft I just type off the cuff.) I'll clean it up at a later time.

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Wed May 19, 2010 6:05 pm

Ok, caught up again ;). First a couple of questions (which you may or may not have already thought about)?

1) When did the gnomes arrive in the area (ie for how long has this civilization existed on The Edge)?

2) When did the lizardfolk and gnolls arrive in the area. I'm assuming that the lizardfolk were here longer than the gnomes (although they probably favored the swampier territories), but am not sure.

3) How did all of the different types of gnomes come together? Are they all from the same homeworld, or are gnomes from different worlds all being drawn to this same spot?
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Post by Boddynock » Wed May 19, 2010 6:49 pm

1) I really have no idea, time lines were never a strong suit. Right now I'll leave that to LoZ or the individual DM's.

2) The Lizardfolk and Gnolls indeed were here before the gnomes arrived. Its through force of arms and probably a couple of airships that have allowed the gnome settlers to get so far, I think it helps that the gnomes with only some exceptions stick to the coast and leave the swampy interior to the lizardfolk.

3) That is an interesting thought. I generally place it that the earth gnomes came form the same world, fleeing from the magically heavy house wars that dominated their old world. They were met by aquatic gnomes who already had settled the islands and coasts (making the aquatic gnomes the oldest residents.) Fire and air gnomes came along later, got fed up with their marginalization and settled areas. The Brixton family took over Brixton Heights/Downs and the air gnomes settled Turtle Bay. If they come from the same world, not sure yet, we'll see how it goes. My more driving thing was to connect gnomes with the Piazzaworld theme of gnomes being kind of linked to the elements/fey.

Dave L
Storm Giant

Post by Dave L » Wed May 19, 2010 6:58 pm

Ashtagon wrote:Sorry, I should have been clearer. Brixton is a borough of London, which certainly used to be notorious for the amount of rioting that went on there - it was widely regarded as a failed inner-city area, dangerous place to be at any time of day.
Yes, most of us based in the UK (over a certain age), will remember the Brixton riots.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Wed May 19, 2010 8:31 pm

Boddynock wrote:1) I really have no idea, time lines were never a strong suit. Right now I'll leave that to LoZ or the individual DM's.
No problem. Coming from a Mystaran background the first thing I tend to think of is a timeline, so I usually spend some time trying to work one out on any of my projects. One thing I find it helps with is adventure generation - that sense of history can really help DMs place down dungeons, and work out political intrigue. Anyway, without assigning any specific dates, here is the general feeling I'm getting when reading your articles:

Aquatic Gnomes - this could be several to dozens of generations ago. They may even have been here as long as the lizardfolk and gnolls.

Earth Gnomes - based on the current state of their civilization and the development of their culture, I'd say anywhere between 1 and 4 generations. It seems like (from your descriptions) that at least some of these gnomes remember their homeworld, so they are either very old gnomes, or the portals that bring earth gnomes to the Edge are active intermittently throughout time, or have been active over a longer period of time.

Air Gnomes - it seems like 1 or 2 generations could have gone by for these gnomes. The do have some amount of infrastructure built up, so they would have to have been here for some good period of time.

Fire Gnomes - As you said, they are the most recent additions to the gnomes in Fiori. It's possible that this is the first generation and that many of them remember the crossing into this world.
Boddynock wrote:2) The Lizardfolk and Gnolls indeed were here before the gnomes arrived. Its through force of arms and probably a couple of airships that have allowed the gnome settlers to get so far, I think it helps that the gnomes with only some exceptions stick to the coast and leave the swampy interior to the lizardfolk.
Ahh! Here I see the beginnings of a timeline ;)! Perhaps some amount of gnomish expansion happened shortly after the air gnomes arrived. The fire gnome migration could have triggered more expansion and perhaps an increased aggression on the part of the gnomes toward their neighbors.
Boddynock wrote:3) That is an interesting thought. I generally place it that the earth gnomes came form the same world, fleeing from the magically heavy house wars that dominated their old world. They were met by aquatic gnomes who already had settled the islands and coasts (making the aquatic gnomes the oldest residents.) Fire and air gnomes came along later, got fed up with their marginalization and settled areas. The Brixton family took over Brixton Heights/Downs and the air gnomes settled Turtle Bay. If they come from the same world, not sure yet, we'll see how it goes. My more driving thing was to connect gnomes with the Piazzaworld theme of gnomes being kind of linked to the elements/fey.
I appreciate your efforts, and I really like the way gnomes are shaping up! I'll give a little thought to this as well. There are a few possibilities I came up with already:

1) Gnomes are all from different worlds, and have had to band together on the Edge to form a stable government. This gives us lots of possibilities to play with. It means that the gnomes themselves aren't completely familiar with all of the elements in their own (new) culture. They are meeting one another for the first time and having to work through cultural difficulties in the here and now (and possibly finding out that they don't like or don't work well with certain elements within Fiori culture).

2) Gnomes are all from the same world and the same time. This means that most gnomes would be familiar with the other sub-groups that form their new government. They would have had dealings with them on the Old World, and they may br bringing old bagage along with them to the new world.

3) Gnomes are all from the same world, but the portals operate across time as well as space. This might mean that the different groups of gnomes share some common ancestry, but that they are separated from one another by large amounts of time. Perhaps one group is actually the descendant of another.

Anyway, these are all just thoughts out loud, so to speak. Take or leave each as you see fit.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Post by Boddynock » Wed May 19, 2010 11:23 pm

Unfortunately I missed out on Mystara, actually I began playing in the 3.5 era so technically I missed out on pretty much all these great settings (making up for it though with slowly buying them off E-bay or Amazon, just a few days I ago I got a hold of X1 :) )

But on topic I think the base timeline you set is about right, especially with Kristof Morlow and Adolfo Brixton still being old but still alive and kicking. Now as to where these lot come from.

I kind of like option 1 or 3 of your suggestions. 3 could represent the different time periods when the subraces had the height of dominance; aquatic gnomes being the earliest of fallen civilization using shamanistic/druidic water magic and shark teeth spears and blow guns. The fire gnomes whose civilization is akin to the dark age, forging weapons of iron and engaging in tribal wars against one another for dominance. Then came the earth gnomes who sort of adopt the trappings of renaissance europe with courtly politics, smokepowder (or red powder to borrow from Blacky's Dark Dungeons) and mercantile habits. Finally the air gnomes represent the last group thus the youngest generation with a sort of magocracy kingdom. In the end each of these civilizations met a downfall through war, famine, magical power etc. that forced the gnomes of these different periods to flee to the Edge. So they each recall the land and recognize the old descriptions but still find it foriegn from all the improvements the next generation made.

And 1 can be used for obvious reasons but after all the typing I might have just made the case for myself to use option 3 in my own game :geek:

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Post by Boddynock » Thu May 20, 2010 4:14 am

13 - Queensport
Population: 1,000
Government: Witch-Baroness who deals with a town council
Exports: magical items, fish, game, bone carvings, gold ingots
Imports: armaments, ore

Background:
Settle on the banks of the River Darley (and commanding the shores of Lake Darley as well.) The city of Queensport is as much a pariah as Fairmount, but if Fairmount is a just slightly peculiar then Queensport is teeming with strangeness.
The residents of the city are closely linked to the Darley family and thus Weasel makes its presence very public, not that any house wishes to operate in the city. A perpetual fog bank seems to settle on the city that gives its residents a very ghastly pale look to them. From her dark tower just upon the higher hills the Witch-Baroness Morgana Darley directs the political actions of the House in this area, not that it matters, her decrees can only be overturned by unanimous vote and the council is packed by Weasel members. None of the family truly shows up, preferring to send proxies.

Magical items are the main trade and various magical users can be found working quietly both in their studies and creating items for trade.

Notable Items:

Morgana Darley: The Witch-Baroness of Queensport it is said she arranged the marriage herself with Darley cousin, Falco Darley. Tragically he died before the migration in his sleep, however the look of terror on his face unnerved even the stalwart physicians who were men of tinker science over magic.

Lake Darley: Named after the family she married into Lake Darley seems to let off a perpetual fog bank. Sunspear ruins nearby tell of strange creatures that inhabit the lake that not even a lizardfolk shaman was willing to deal with, short of combating. It is believed a dark evil sifts in the water but no gnome is able to prove it.

City Hall: The local government is generally ran by the appointed Sheriff who administers the laws on behalf of Morgana. He maintains the militia and courts while the mayor runs the civilian side of things.

The Chiphelm Farmsteads: The resistance to Darley rule is by house Badger that holds sway in the local country side. The Chiphelm clan, former warriors turned farmers, tend to be the most vocal of critics of Morgana's rule. It is believed that Fafner Chiphelm, the chief patriarch of the clan, walks a fine line with the Darley family. Protected by his popularity and technically the Charter of Gnomes (tell that of course to the assassins that might cut his throat.) The Chiphelm's and Badger House supporters tend to control the outer farmsteads and do business with the town, they also compete with those few farms that are loyal to the Darley family.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Thu May 20, 2010 7:34 am

Hey Boddynock, I've been thinking that your gnomes would lend themselves well to heraldic symbols, so I figured I'd go through each of your entries and see what kind of heraldry I could come up with. Of course, any input you have will be much appreciated!

The first is Port Kyna:
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Post by Boddynock » Thu May 20, 2010 3:18 pm

Alright those, those are bad ass... real bad ass.
I especially like the Coppernik with the Otter symbol and the ship. As for Port Kyna I like that one but if you did want some kind of heraldic animal for its coat of arms I would suggest the sea lion (what with a tavern called the Sea Lions Pride) that or an anchor, but the current outing looks awesome too.

Just so I don't have to second post I'd like to take some time to post what I call a roll call of notable NPC's I sort of made. I won't deal in stats and obviously DM's from older editions can rework these to fit their campaigns, just use these as a guidelines.

Role call:

House Otter: Mercantile family known for fishing and shipping. In favor of urban cities and profit.

Kyna Coppernik F8 (Deceased): Matriarch of the Otter clan and founder of Port Kyna. Has a statue of her in Port Kyna and is revered by the clan for her leadership skills and shrewd business sense.

Lazlo Coppernik F10: Current head of House Otter and directs the activities of the house throughout the city-states from his home office in Port Kyna. Former ship captain who made his fortune in fishing trawling and some shipping. He takes himself more of a kingmaker than king, working to get his allies into office in exchange of support.

Knurl Coppernik R8: Kyna's third cousin and retired Coppernik chieftain. Is himself a former pirate and scoundrel now spends his day in luxury letting his younger family play political games.

Kristof Morlow-Coppernik W6: Air gnome who married into the Coppernik clan, currently leads activities from his compound in Turtle Bay in keeping his family heavily influential in city council politics.

Badger: Farming family and oldest of noble houses. Enjoys being a leisure class of party and court games then always turning a profit.

Ucariah Bulbar F5 (Deceased): Clan founder who landed on Port Kyna. Began farming and built up his plantation outside of Port Kyna. Died during a large soiree after one too many blue island ice teas.

Zarnab Bulbar W7: Current head of the house and all the activities therein. Lives on the plantation his father Ucariah built and is a little more serious minded to put himself into politics then his father. Is known as the grain king for his lucrative plantations that keeps the family in money and influence.

Fafner Chiphelm F4: Ally of the Badger family and runs the Chiphelm farmstead outside Queensport. Wants to overthrow Darley control of the village and uncover the Darley ability to generate gold. Keeps in contact with Bulbar often through courier or magical means.

Zarchan Diamondtip W2: Head of the Diamondtip family. Badger supporters who are extraordinary jewelers known for their various rings with magical properties (More decorative then practical rings, though they can forge those types to.) Heads the Diamondtip cartel and runs it from his home in Turtle Bay.

Wolverine: Military family who has some influence in several military units. Doesn't necessarily want to control city council but instead influence said units.

Artos Bricklund F10 (deceased): Founder of Wolverine and a crafty old soldier. Fought against the lizardfolk and gnolls to establish New Gronzi. Widowed father who raised two boys on his lonesome. Died in his sleep an old and beloved man

Rathmer Bricklund F6: Youngest and more political minded official head of the Bricklund family. In reality shares power with his commander brother Barni Bricklund. Is a former military clerk who only saw a little action during the Sunspear Crusade.

Barni Bricklund F14: Head of the 1st Mounted Regiment (The Bricked Fist) maintains influence with other military units through the city states. Has a heavily Lawful Good streak that borderlines Paladin zeal. Fought and made a name for himself during the Sunspear Crusade having helped raid lizardfolk villages.

Macavoy Grout F10: Bricklund ally and head of the 4th Mounted Regiment (the Devils Pets). Saw action in the Sunspear Crusade.

Lini Leskobar W12 (deceased): Witch Countess of the Leskobar Cartel and founder of Wheathome after being gifted the land by Artos Bricklund. Despite an independent streak she maintained alliance with Wolverine.

Churtle Leskobar W6: Current head of the Leskobar Cartel and somewhat ally to the Wolverine house (more out of respect for her mother over choice.)

Talatore Bricklund F8: Commands the 1st Mounted Regiment in the area and cousin to Rathmer and Barni.

House Weasel: The trickster house who sports several noted mages and rogues. Is disliked by the other houses.

Kamos Darley W9 (deceased): Mage who set up the sky tower of Kamos Landing. His tomb is said to be haunted by his angry ghost having possibly been done in before his time.

Krunik Darley R8: Head of the Darley clan and former sky pirate himself. Unscrupulous and somewhat callous. It is gossiped it was by his hand that he slew his father Kamos in the old mage's sleep (perhaps might explain the scar on the side of his face.)

Morgana Darley W16: One of the most powerful mages in the hills and married into the Darley clan through her long dead husband Falco Darley. Currently controls the town of Queensport where it is said she has made deals with dark things from lake Darley.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Thu May 20, 2010 3:55 pm

Cool, I'm so glad that you posted your NPCs. I was in the middle of going through each of you previous posts trying to compile all of them and now I don't have to - plus you've includes some extra information about each which should help my heraldry efforts.
Boddynock wrote:Alright those, those are bad ass... real bad ass.
I especially like the Coppernik with the Otter symbol and the ship. As for Port Kyna I like that one but if you did want some kind of heraldic animal for its coat of arms I would suggest the sea lion (what with a tavern called the Sea Lions Pride) that or an anchor, but the current outing looks awesome too.
Thank you! Playing around with fantasy heraldry is something I enjoy.

I was going back and forth about whether or not to put a charge on the Port Kyna shield. Here was my thinking: The families existed back in the old world long before coming here and establishing the Gnome Charter, so their crests probably would have already been in existence (mostly). However I'm thinking that a national flag (something that all people in a city/city-state can claim as their own) is a relatively new idea. I wanted those to look more like flags than family crests. In this case I took the colors from the shield of the city's founder, but wanted to "play it down" a little (which I did by removing any charges). What do you think of that reasoning? That's not to say that flags can't have animal charges on them though, and I think the sea lion head would work well for Port Kyna. I'll do up 2 versions when I get home tonight and we can decide between them.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Post by Boddynock » Thu May 20, 2010 5:22 pm

I understand you reasoning now perfectly, I wouldn't change a thing to it now that you mention it. One thing to add though is the Brixton family would maintain their own heraldry as they view themselves more like co-belligerents rather then allies or have any liking to Port Kyna, now the Brixton family do have their own symbol and technically could call themselves House Boar (their symbol is the black boar.) But as they come from a different period their house would have been long gone by the time the four were around and the earth gnomes ruled.

By the way I felt I made such a strong case about the time line that I think I'd go with the idea that these gnomes are form the same place but different time periods whose portals made them end up together. The order of time periods would fall

Aquatic Gnomes: Prehistoric weaponry, heavy druidic/shamanistic magic
Fire Gnomes: Dark Age, medieval weaponry and the beginnings of arcane magic in the form of occultists
Earth Gnomes: Early Renaissance with early firearms and tinkering, mages are more common and accepted
Air Gnomes: Magitech, more dependable air ships. An emphasis on high magic over mundane technological advances.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Thu May 20, 2010 6:08 pm

Boddynock wrote:I understand you reasoning now perfectly, I wouldn't change a thing to it now that you mention it. One thing to add though is the Brixton family would maintain their own heraldry as they view themselves more like co-belligerents rather then allies or have any liking to Port Kyna, now the Brixton family do have their own symbol and technically could call themselves House Boar (their symbol is the black boar.) But as they come from a different period their house would have been long gone by the time the four were around and the earth gnomes ruled.
Cool. I was planning on giving each of the major houses that I can find their own distinct heraldry (my reasoning again being they probably would have had such before coming to the Edge). I have a ways to go until I get to Brixton, but I will definitely use the black boar somehow. If you have any other ideas about family crests please post them and I will use them (maybe putting them in your NPC overview post would work well).

Here is what I'm thinking about the heraldry - Families could all have their own crests. Older families (those representing noble lines back in the Old World) would have brought such images with them, and their heraldry would be well established. New families (merchant class, or new political leaders) might also want to develop their own family crests just to show that they are on equal footing with the older lines. These kind of crests could have some links to their mercantile specialty or they could be created entirely by the fancy of the head of the house.

After the Gnome Charters were created and adopted, a new feeling of city based nationalism began to set in, and the gnomes would have begun using city flags as well as crests representing their own houses. Ships, caravans, and even maybe military units would thus always fly two flags - one for their family and one for their nation/city. For example a Brixton merchant still living in Port Kyna (possibly a distant cousin of the Brixtons of Brixton Heights) would fly the Black Boar flag just above the Port Kyna flag on all of his ships. That would make it very easy for other gnomes to identify exactly who he was (and who the ships belonged to). It's possible that as the feeling of nationalism grows the order of the flags would switch, placing the national flag on top with the family flag below - but I don't think the gnomes are quite there yet. I think they still place more importance on their own family lineage.
Boddynock wrote:By the way I felt I made such a strong case about the time line that I think I'd go with the idea that these gnomes are form the same place but different time periods whose portals made them end up together. The order of time periods would fall

Aquatic Gnomes: Prehistoric weaponry, heavy druidic/shamanistic magic
Fire Gnomes: Dark Age, medieval weaponry and the beginnings of arcane magic in the form of occultists
Earth Gnomes: Early Renaissance with early firearms and tinkering, mages are more common and accepted
Air Gnomes: Magitech, more dependable air ships. An emphasis on high magic over mundane technological advances.
:D To be honest, this was my favorite option as well. I like the way you break these groups out. So this tells me something I didn't realize before - that the fire gnomes were on the Edge before the earth gnomes. That would mean that the first (land based) settlements would be of fire gnome design. This is great fodder for historical events. I could see some unrest between the fire gnomes and earth gnomes (as more earth gnomes come through the portals and displace their dark age cousins).

This raises some questions about Port Kyna (which IIRC was founded by an earth gnome), since fire gnomes could have been there first. Perhaps the original settlement was named something else and really only focused on overland trade. When the earth gnomes arrived they established the port, calling it Kyna's Port. As trade grew and the city became more known to outsiders they just started referring to the entire city as Port Kyna (dropping whatever the original fire gnome name for the place was). I'm sure this could have been a real thorn in the side of the Brixtons, and they probably still hold a grudge about it to this day. Maybe Brixtons refuse to call the city by its new name, sticking with the name they originally gave it?
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Post by Boddynock » Thu May 20, 2010 6:12 pm

Summer Haven
Population: 1100
Government: Elected Mayor
Exports: No industry of real note
Imports: Rare fruits, rare birds, and trinkets

Background:
The Barrow-Bulbar family settled lake Summergale at the end of the Sunspear Crusade. That period of peace when Talbec's war to exterminate the foreign invader ended with a gnomish victory. Summer Haven was set up for the leisure class to have a bit of a vacation from the toils of the day.

Set upon Lake Summergale the sleepy lakeside town enjoys every item of leisure. Rare fruits and spices liven the taste of those who can afford it. Fishing, hunting, performances of magical and musical can be found here. Though even here the slight vestiges of house politics rear their ugly head. Government is an elected Lord Mayor who works with a series of advisers to administer government in the city. For those of the leisure class who can enjoy the spoils there is also a working class that services the city. This has given rise to small thieving guilds who engage in mountebanks and outright thievery.

Notable Items:
Daphne Bulbar-Barrows: Married into the Barrows family, Daphne is a Bulbar in spirit. A sly mistress of court games she is the power behind the throne of the leisure guild (the guild in turn controls all leisure activity and is thus the most powerful guilds in the city.)

Seebo Barrows: A portly fellow and Daphne's spouse. Seebo was a Badger allied riverboat captain who plied the rivers as his trade. He still does a bit of river work while his wife organizes the prices and counts the money.

13th Shore Patrol (The Muddy Feet): Lead by Lt. Commander Deekin Halfmoon the Muddy Feet serve as the lake's shore patrol and coast guard. Technically their job is to keep the lizardfolk across the lake from attacking but it also is working with the local tribe of aquatic gnome to rescue gnomes who fall overboard. The Shore Patrol boasts two bireme class ships to patrol the shore

The Singing Maiden: Garishly decorated and gaily colored the Singing Maiden is a rather plain bar that makes a spectacle in their crop of singing gnome females. Performances are a bit on the bawdy side that perhaps non-gnomes just might not get. The owner is Grakus Tirlemekis, a halfling expatriate from the halfling empire to the south (The style Halfling empire to be exact)

The Dolphin Tribe: Said to be tamers of the river dolphins that delight spectators along the rivers and lakes of Summergale the Dolphin Tribe are a series of Aquatic gnomes lead by Krol Conkfriend. The aquatic gnomes often ride the river dolphins as mounts and maintain alliances with the surface dwelling gnomes. They have the grudging respect of the lizardfolk who live across the lake as the Dolphin Tribe will save even drowning lizardfolk.

The Sinister: House Weasel's backed thieves guild the Sinister is organized in Summergale to steal all they can. Using their mountebanks to con and their thieves to pilfer the guild kicks up the profits both to the local watch to operate and to their masters back home in Kamos Landing. Poshi Redknife is guild leader and a rather murderous one at that.

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Post by Boddynock » Thu May 20, 2010 6:23 pm

That is a good idea, indeed I could see it to. When I go back I definitely will have to make Adolfo Brixton a numbered name Adolfo IV or something to that effect as the original would have probably died. This is how it could have played out

The fire gnomes were the first land based empire to arrive manning oared ships ala viking raiders, not necessarily designed for deep sea travel or anything. As they landed they set up and created the Kingdom of Fiori with their capital of Brixton Heights as the capital (Fire gnomes preferring under hill halls to top side buildings.) Earth gnomes being the more numerous race then began to land, Kyna Coppernik builds Kyna's Port and the influx of earth gnome pushes out the fire gnomes and semi exposed hill halls give way to top side buildings (making it easier for non gnome races to trade and to expand their city states deeper into sun plains. This would break any kind of unified empire (the races/houses have only bound together when Talbec Sunspear launched the Sunspear crusade to exterminate the gnomes.) But right now the Brixton's want little to do with the interlopers but for economic reasons have signed the Charter and allow gnomes to settle near their halls (but make the welcoming very cold.)

LoZompatore
Hill Giant

Post by LoZompatore » Thu May 20, 2010 7:47 pm

This is awesome! :o Such amount of work in just a few days! I love the coat of arms, the new entries about more gnomish communities, the suggested timeline... Really, great work, both of you. :D

A few humble contributions on my side:

- Lizardfolk settlements: When I drew the regional map, I supposed lizarfolk locations # 2, 4, 5, 8 to be easily defensible locations (especially against any gnomish raid or invasion) thanks to the fact theat they are far inside the swampy territories and surrounded on many sides by rivers or lakes. In my opinion such places could harbour a slightly larger lizardfolk populations and they should act as strongholds for lizardfolk's presence in the area (that is, they would be the last settlements to be conquered by foreign invaders). Notice that such assumptions do not necessarily imply that these four settlements are allied among themselves or they are part of a larger unified lizardfolk country. On another matter, lizardfolk location 14 is the only one on the seaside, I suppose its inhabotants should have at least some navigational skills: what if they use catamarans or similar rafts for fishing and trading? They could aklso be in contact with other seaside lizardfolk communities outside the map...

- Gnomish ancestry: I was just wondering if at least some of the gnomish subraces/clans of the Fiori hills could be someway related with the gnomes living on the large island southeast of the northern continent (location 57 on the global map). This could help setting basic elements and timelines for both communities ;)

My two cents! ;)

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Thu May 20, 2010 8:37 pm

LoZompatore wrote:- Gnomish ancestry: I was just wondering if at least some of the gnomish subraces/clans of the Fiori hills could be someway related with the gnomes living on the large island southeast of the northern continent (location 57 on the global map). This could help setting basic elements and timelines for both communities ;)
Hmmm... here's a thought based on Boddynock's earlier post:
Boddynock wrote:Aquatic Gnomes: Prehistoric weaponry, heavy druidic/shamanistic magic
Following that progression there very well could have been a golden age in between the Aquatic Gnomes and the Fire Gnomes - the Gnoman Empire ;). Perhaps it's this time period that crosses the portal and settles location 57 (instead of the Fiori Hills). Perhaps weather patterns just happened to be different during that transition, bringing the gnomes to a different location.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Post by Boddynock » Thu May 20, 2010 9:38 pm

Okay so an idea about this came to me while I was looking at the map and while waiting for my copy of X1 Isle of Dread to get in. I would say both the aquatic and fire gnomes had their basis here on the island. The fire gnomes preferring the interior perhaps around the island's volcano as they mined out their homes in around the hill sides and like in Isle of Dread it is they who are the ones that construct the great wall from their forge iron (forged from the lava flows near their hills) to keep the dinosaurs out.

Now What could have happened is the volcano finally blew its top and literally leveled the ancient empire of the fire gnomes because while they like to live near volcanoes they aren't immune to magma or the ash clouds they can form (ala Pompeii or Mount St. Helen's) This catastrophic even causes the fire gnomes to board their long ships and strike out for then world (the volcanic flow into ocean might have also caused an avalanche to also destroy the aquatic gnome kingdom as I imagine aquatic gnomes are more shoreline dwellers then deep water folk.

The Brixton family long ships so few in number actually brave the seas and land where the Fiori hills are, they claim it and begin to build up and establish their colonies when from portals of strange magic well here come the earth gnomes.

Now obviously the island of gnomes isn't desolate, this event merely breaks up any major empire that existed there. It gives adventurers a goal of trying to find preserved treasure and fire gnomes a goal of eventually either sailing and reclaiming their halls on the island and perhaps explains why the fire gnome holdings are mainly the Brixton area as they didn't really have the numbers to sustain a major empire and even with a generation or two of breeding was able to give rise to enough for major colonization until the more numerous earth gnomes arrived.

Hopefully this helps and isn't just a big block o' text : )

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Post by Boddynock » Fri May 21, 2010 12:07 am

15 - North Point
Population: 1300
Government: Ruled by a Prince who appoints a council of mages
Exports: magical items, pottery, glass works, rare fruits
Imports: armaments, foodstuffs

Background:
Founded by the first air gnome prince Falkir Jaskar. The city of North Point has two things that set it apart from its fellow city states. The city itself is ruled over by a Prince of Jaskar's line. Its current Prince Bellamin Jaskar is the direct son of Falkir. The Prince in turn appoints a magocracy to run the day-to-day operations of the city. Anyone who holds power must be an air gnome who can demonstrated magical aptitude. Not just small magical ability that is common in gnomes, but the distinct marks of a mage.

North Point boosts the largest magical population in the area. Homes tend to be built like towers as air gnomes, though they cannot fly, prefer being as close to the sky as possible. It isn't very strange for families to spend a few days aboard their airships, sailing above the airspace of North Point. Below them air gnomes trade with other gnomes and non-gnomes more numerously in magical items. True earth gnome city-states have been known to create magical items but these were of a pragmatic, spartan looking device compared to the ornate finery of a North Point wand.

Politics:
While there is a Prince of House Jaskar the earth gnomes do have some influence. House Weasel is very present in the magical items industry, often buying from air gnomes who can make more superior quality work then the so-called arcanists of Kamos Landing. With Weasel comes The Sinister whom prefer to hire local, unscrupulous air gnomes. Directives from House Weasel has been clear that the magical items business is too important to be jeopardize by having earth gnomes conducting extortion within air gnome society. House Otter controls the wet travel in the area but hasn't pushed the power of embargo as the air gnomes don't mind paying for Otter controlled delivery service, as long as its fast and affordable. House Wolverine has little contact with the air gnomes (whom provide their own security.) But occasionally hire out one of their specialists to help improve air gnome defenses or the sell the latest bombard. North Point plays off the Leskobar Cartel and House Badger's wheat prices to get the best deal.

Notables:
Raven's Peak: Not so much a peak but a constructed spire to rival Skyview Hall. The Jaskar household exists. A retire Falkir Jaskar can still be found puttering in his private alchemy lab.

Dark Moon Island: Just off the coast of North Bay is Dark Moon Island. Known for its sweet fruits and spicy plants the island is another lucrative item for the city. The nuisance about the island is the minuscule force of lizardfolk who have waged war on the farmers from their jungle abodes.

Castle Astronach: Hovering above North Point is the last vestige of Air Gnome power, the floating city of Astronach hovers above the city. Powered by the remaining crystals the air gnomes were able to bring with them from their world, every year the castle sinks slower and slower to the ground. A search is on now for a replacement power source, the Jaskar family themselves are offering high coin to find a suitable replacement for the air crystals.
Last edited by Boddynock on Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Fri May 21, 2010 3:48 pm

Here is the next set of shields, this time for New Gronzi:
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Post by Boddynock » Mon May 24, 2010 12:03 am

16 - St. Algarita
Population: 1,000
Government: Elected Mayor with City Council
Exports: grain, livestock
Imports: armaments

Background Information:
It is maiden's city
The the loyalist city of to House Badger
A city besieged

Named after St. Algarita; Mistress of the Grain. The farming community of St. Algarita was founded by Largo Bulbar to his brother's willingness to stay marginalize in Port Kyna, it doesn't help that Zarnab held the power when Ucariah passed on rather then Largo, out of that sense of duty does St. Algarita maintain the largest concentration of Badger but isn't the official home city of the House.

Grain is the boon and curse of the city, for every city that pays coin for Algarita grain and cattle there are various factions that wish to take the city. None more serious the Banethorn Horde (see below).

The city itself a small city, most of its population being more on the farms or on the plantations rather then in the city but it has slowly developed a brisk trade of taverns as adventurers do come through.

Notable Items:
The Banethorn Horde: Having been chased out of the mountains by dwarven factions within the mountains a horde of orcs have came from the mountains into the hillsides for plunder. Any mere rabble would not be any worry, even small races like gnomes had come up with techniques (ala cannon fire and a lot of magic) to combat the horde but this one is different. Lead by a well-spoken and tactically bright minotaur named Slorn Banethorn the horde is an evasive blight on the land, neither friend to either lizardfolk or gnome the southern sun planes has erupted with skirmishes on both sides, neither side has taken the fight full force but that is a question of when.

Slorn Banethorn: The so-called gentleman general but more derisively known by the gnomes as the "Gentleman Butcher." Slorn Banethorn is a minotaur warlord who leads the self named Banethorn Horde. His forces occupy lands to the south of New Algarita and never for long, preferring to skirmish and extort villages. Food for their lives. So far his intelligence and his strength has been able to keep him on top and able to command the horde, it is a question of time when he will loose control of it, or set it loose on the north.

54th Infantry: commanded by Ismay Nesmith. The Red Hounds have seen only skirmish action with the horde. The local infantry unit is loyal at most to the city, pledging allegiance to its people before any house. Its these unshakable morals that the 54th are so popular with local farmers.

9th Bombard: Influenced most by House Wolverine and lead by a fire gnome named Gunther Fairlane the 9th bombard is the supporting branch of St. Algarita's military. The bombard cannons keep close to the city to protect it from the horde.

Church of Our Lady Algarita: A temple honoring St. Algarita the wooden building is a home to nature worshipers and healer clerics. The temple is fronted by a statue of St. Algarita clutching a thing of wheat one hand and a sickle in the other. Her clergy prefers scythes and sickles as their primary weapons.

The Order of St. Faros: Known by his christened name, Goblinbane. The order is a group of gnomish knights dedicated to the saint of wartime. The Order saw much action against the Sunspear lizardfolk and found their order stationed in St. Algarita. Malak of Westmire, so named after the place of his birth, leads the order from their headquarter and is currently engaged in trading skirmishes with the horde.

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Post by Boddynock » Mon May 24, 2010 3:47 am

17 - Topaz Atoll
Population: 800
Government: Town meeting with a 'one person, one vote' kind of attitude
Exports: fish, ships, personnel (sailors, navigators, etc.)
Imports: timber, magical items, fruit

Background Info:
The true topaz of the aberrant sea
Where the Fiori navy makes its berth
The island risen by a mage

Topaz Atoll could be described much like a coin. On one side is the small island nation, serving both a resupply spot for ships of Refuge Point or Port Kyna and the point where remnants of the gnomish navy patrols the wars looking for pirates. The flip side the colony Al'Quantis; the remnant of the great aquatic gnome empire stands as its shadow of a former self.

On the topside there was nothing spectacular of note, Matthias Coppernik, Kyna's younger brother had founded the island. He wasn't a political leader and no house other then Otter had wished to influence such a spec of an island that they took little heed. While the Coppernik family did build up trade and use several of their personal turtle ships to become the Fiori Navy, really no other house has taken much notice.

Below the waves Prince Rollo Conklin ruled the colony as his priests lost contact with the rest of the empire. Some grave catastrophe had cut off connection and it appeared Al'Quantis along with Quartis that sat below St. Faros would be all that is left of the northern realm. As rock gnomes began to explore the shores and depths the two races became aware of the others existence and cautiously worked to build their alliance.

Notable Items:
Dalsin's Tower: The island itself is a relatively young creation. Pulled from the ocean floor by a great fire gnome mage named Dalsin Farling, the great mage was able to create the island and his tower having spurn the Brixton family for the loss of his own family from the great trek. It is believed while the terrible wizard himself eventually died his watch tower remains locked on the northern edge of the island. Every night its beacon though shines across the sea.

Al'Quantis: The coral formed aquatic gnome colony. The aquatic gnomes are sworn enemies of evil sea creatures and upon the mounted back of porpoises they do wage battle with spears smeared in poison. The colony is guided by Prince Conklin who maintains contact and distant relation with Darla Coppernik.

Mattie Hall: Built after the death of Matthias Coppernik (who was nicknamed Mattie by his siblings.) The hall is residence to the realm protector Darla Coppernik and conducts business in its open air courtyard. The town opens vote for any citizen of the city with Darla tie breaking and leading the meetings. As the highest ranking Coppernik she organizes the navy and marine detachments to protect the island.

The Fiori Navy: Bearing the twin standards of Topaz Atoll and Port Kyna, the so-called Fiori navy makes it birth. Darla Coppernik serves as grand admiral who leaves day-to-day operations with each of the captains. The navies main function is to protect the nearby shipping lanes from piracy.

1st Marine Corp: Commanded by Brigadier Catesby Boxhall; a loyal wolverine. The Fiori Marines are stationed detachments on board the ships and a detachment on the island. The marines lead boarding action and general defense of the city.

2nd Artillery: Stationed along the few towers the cities ballista and bombard units provide heavy fire support to defend the city from enemy raiders.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Tue May 25, 2010 8:45 pm

Hey Boddynock,

(Updated the heraldry for New Gronzi - I'm much happier with this version.)

I'm looking over the Kamos Landing entry and have a few thoughts:

First of all, I did a search here on the Piazza for Red Powder, so now I have a little better idea of what you're talking about. I can see a couple of different groups operating from this settlement:

Red Powder Consortium (RPC): This group of mercantile minded gnomes has cornered the market on Red Powder. They are very rich and very protective of the red powder mining claims that they own in the area. Should other deposits open up elsewhere they will be very fast in sending their agents to claim them by any means necessary.

Sky Pirates: There are probably several groups of sky pirates in this area (most operating under the guise of normal merchants or adventurers). Each group would be led by some prominent captain, and would probably consist of between 1 and 3 ships (most groups in possession of a single ship only). I think it would be great if folks came up with several sky pirate captains that we could then play around with. . One thought - perhaps one of the sky pirates has a ship based on Steel Ogre technology?

The Sky Tower: This might be another place to put another something like Tepnuem's Mosaic. It could be the reason that the sky tower was built in this location in the first place. Is there a connection between this sky tower and the one that was built in Refuge Point? I think we have some opportunity here to expand the world's history (but not sure yet exactly which direction to go in).

Arcane Overwatch: I like the idea of a Refuge Point group expanding their influence outside of that city. Do you have any more information or thoughts as to how they got here (and why they are here)? Perhaps their presence has something to do with the Red Powder (which may see use in other magical experiments or spells). If that's the case then the AO may come into conflict with the RPC, but at the same time they would need to maintain enough of a relationship with that group to ensure continued supply of the magical substance.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Return to “The Edge”