The Edge 2.0 document upcoming!

We left our old worlds, each of us. This is it. We can't go any farther. This is The Edge.
LoZompatore
Hill Giant

The Edge 2.0 document upcoming!

Post by LoZompatore » Wed May 26, 2010 9:09 pm

The Edge master document v 2.0 will be ready next June!

This document will be a large revision and upgrading of the previous Piazzaworld v 1.0 Word file. It will include all the modifications and add-ons suggested between March and June by the community working on the project.
Major changes will include:

- An updated map pack, showing settlements and details developed so far (Fiori Hills, Refuge Point area, the Edge region, and others);
- An updated climate map;
- A basic 72 mi/hex worldmap;
- Separate appendixes for already developed region (Refuge Point, Fiori Hills, and others); they will include local maps, a rough timeline, the already stated descriptions about locations and landmarks and the heraldric symbols developed so far;
- A new "Dragons and Principia" section among the setting's Major Themes;
- A new "Planar connections" section among the setting's Major Themes;
- A new section about religion and deities;
- A new section about Thalassa's solar system (so far it includes only the sun, the moons and the ring);
- An updated timeline of the setting;
- Updated "Things to do" and "Credits" sections :D ;

I think I'll be able to complete the master document in the first half of June, so if you would like to add any further contribution to this major revision, this is the right moment to do it ;)

Chimpman
Hadozee

Re: The Edge 2.0 document upcoming!

Post by Chimpman » Wed May 26, 2010 9:42 pm

The more I think about it, the more I like my original idea of having Taltinians (and their neanderthal servants) come from an outer plane rather than being natives of the Edge. I'm really gravitating to the idea that some elder darkness/evil managed to follow them through the planar cracks.

How hard would it be to retcon some of your histories to make this work? I suppose one way to go would be to keep the idea of "New Taltinia" as a place where the Taltinians land and rebuild their civilization. Then New Taltinia can be destroyed in the same fashion as Old Taltinia was on the other plane. This would give the Taltinians the idea that maybe something did indeed follow them through the portals.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

LoZompatore
Hill Giant

Post by LoZompatore » Sat May 29, 2010 6:13 pm

How hard would it be to retcon some of your histories to make this work? I suppose one way to go would be to keep the idea of "New Taltinia" as a place where the Taltinians land and rebuild their civilization. Then New Taltinia can be destroyed in the same fashion as Old Taltinia was on the other plane. This would give the Taltinians the idea that maybe something did indeed follow them through the portals.
No problem at all Chimpman! The master document can always be edited to suit everyone's preferences ;)

I don't think it would be an issue to change the Taltinians' background in order to have them from another Plane of Existence. I think there are two or three sentences to be modified, not an overwhelming task! :D
By the way, I like a lot your idea about Taltinians being chased by some powerful evil entity even through the planar rifts. It adds many interesting twists to their background...

Is it still good for you to keep their first large civilization on Thalassa (sometime between -5000 and -3500) and the colonies originated by it (Refuge Point, Paradise Hidden and the like) after -3500? Let me know!

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Sun May 30, 2010 3:04 am

LoZompatore wrote:Is it still good for you to keep their first large civilization on Thalassa (sometime between -5000 and -3500) and the colonies originated by it (Refuge Point, Paradise Hidden and the like) after -3500? Let me know!
Yes, I'm pretty happy with that - I think there's a lot there to work with.

The destruction of their first civilization would have scattered the Taltinians across the globe, and confirmed the fear that would have been growing with them for quite some time - that something dark followed them into this world and had it out for them. I might revise the Taltinian history of Refuge Point making it a westerly outpost of their first Thalassan civilization. Once their main civilization collapsed, many Taltinians moved to Refuge Point, bolstering it and making it the new seat of their power. That wouldn't last, as the corrupting force of Darkenss followed them there too and eventually Qal Tallon was abandoned (mostly) and the last of the Taltinians scattered.

Paradise Hidden could have been founded anytime before or after the collapse in -3500. Those fleeing the destruction of their new home would have had to cleanse themselves - perhaps performing rituals and sacrifices to Tepnuem on the open sea in order to insure that the Darkness could not follow them. Since that time they would observe the world around them, but never again interact with it - for fear of being found once again by their ancient enemy. Any citizen of Paradise Lost who ever sets foot on solid land (outside of their own hallowed island sanctuary) is exiled and forbidden ever again to enter Paradise Lost.

Other colonies would have been founded after -3500 as well, although since they did not perform the rituals for Tepnuem, they would be doomed to share the fate of their ancestors (sooner or later).
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Vile
Bugbear

Post by Vile » Sun May 30, 2010 11:40 am

LoZompatore wrote:The Edge master document v 2.0 will be ready next June!

- A new section about Thalassa's solar system (so far it includes only the sun, the moons and the ring)
Looking forward to this! I have been busy with Mongoose Traveller stuff, but methinks it's time to flesh out the star system soon - let's see what we can do to make the heavens more exciting than the average planetary disc ... ;)

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:32 am

So, now that it's June how soon can we expect the document to be available?

LoZompatore
Hill Giant

Post by LoZompatore » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:10 pm

So, now that it's June how soon can we expect the document to be available?
I hope it will be ready in a couple of weeks from now ;) I was pretty busy at work in the last few days but I hope I'll gather enough spare time to finish the document in a few days. Most of it is actually ready by now.

So, if you have any suggestion or material to be placed inside this revision of the master document, there is still some time!! :mrgreen:

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:24 pm

Any news on the document?

LoZompatore
Hill Giant

Post by LoZompatore » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:45 pm

Ehm.... any other question? :mrgreen:

No, okay, I stopped updating the document this summer due to real life duties. The document itself was not very far from completion, tough: most of the work still to do required updating the maps.
Now I'm slowly starting again with the project: updated maps is still an issue, but not so much as before (see the new regional map, or the global hexed map published this summer, for example). In the last few months I prepared a some new articles hoping to include them (or an updated version of them) in the Edge 2.0.

The document is going to become very large, mostly due to the sheer amount of information coming from the Fiori Hills. Maybe it would be better to publish a separate Gazeteer-like document about this region, with just a summary about the Fiori Hills included in the Edge 2.0.

Welcome back to everybody!
:D

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:29 am

LoZompatore wrote:The document is going to become very large, mostly due to the sheer amount of information coming from the Fiori Hills. Maybe it would be better to publish a separate Gazeteer-like document about this region, with just a summary about the Fiori Hills included in the Edge 2.0.
If I had to choose, I'd say limit regional information to a certain length, and if a particular region has more information associated with it (as is the case with the Fiori Hills) then that region should get its own Gazetteer. I'd point to something like the Hollow World boxed set, or my recently released Mystara 2300 BC Setting Overview, as documents to model the Edge Setting Overview on.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

nils
Orc

Post by nils » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:49 pm

Are you still working on this? Both the 2.0 document and the project in general? Would be a shame to see it die, I enjoyed reading this forum.
Visit my blog Enderra or follow me on Twitter @Enderra.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:20 am

LoZompatore wrote:The Edge master document v 2.0 will be ready next June!
nils wrote:Are you still working on this? Both the 2.0 document and the project in general? Would be a shame to see it die, I enjoyed reading this forum.
Amen. It's now the June after next June. I'd really like to get my hands on the document. Failing the 2.0 document, at least the 1.0 document.

LoZompatore
Hill Giant

Post by LoZompatore » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:51 pm

Never say never! :D :mrgreen:

I'm actually still working on this project, but I started a little too many topics (even offline) that took their time and were left half-finished (read: not submittable on the message board). I'm going to give some of them a "mostly complete" status during this week (27June - 3 July) and send them to the forum. So stay tuned!

By the way, I'll also try to give some feedback to the topics already opened by the other contributors (the one about Steliden definitely deservers some comments, for example). Sorry for the delays, anyway... :oops:

nils
Orc

Post by nils » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:05 pm

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:
LoZompatore wrote:I'd really like to get my hands on the document. Failing the 2.0 document, at least the 1.0 document.
The 1.0 document is in one of the threads, I downloaded it a week ago or so.

nils
Orc

Post by nils » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:08 pm

LoZompatore wrote:Never say never! :D :mrgreen:

I'm actually still working on this project, but I started a little too many topics (even offline) that took their time and were left half-finished (read: not submittable on the message board). I'm going to give some of them a "mostly complete" status during this week (27June - 3 July) and send them to the forum. So stay tuned!

By the way, I'll also try to give some feedback to the topics already opened by the other contributors (the one about Steliden definitely deservers some comments, for example). Sorry for the delays, anyway... :oops:
Glad to hear it's not all dead.

I'll be mostly a "consumer" on this thread, I have too many worlds of my own to work on. But as an aside, I did start using your mapping methods for one of my project. I've only done the world map so far though, no zoom ins yet.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:49 pm

nils wrote:
Twin Agate Dragons wrote:
LoZompatore wrote:I'd really like to get my hands on the document. Failing the 2.0 document, at least the 1.0 document.
The 1.0 document is in one of the threads, I downloaded it a week ago or so.
Link please?

nils
Orc

Post by nils » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:56 pm

There ya go: http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopi ... =53&t=3304

First posting in that thread.

Markustay
Orc

Post by Markustay » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:43 pm

I'd love to have a look at this if this thing is still going.
"Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it kind, is it true, is it necessary, does it improve upon the silence?" -Shirdi Sai Baba

LoZompatore
Hill Giant

Post by LoZompatore » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:19 am

I'd love to have a look at this if this thing is still going.

If you are looking for the original Word document Edge 1.0 you may download it from here

A working copy with notes (not a true 2.0 version, but a small improvement on the 1.0 document) can be downloaded from here.

Please notice that also this working copy is rather outdated, as many new info were posted on this message board since it was last revised (say a year and half ago, I guess).
Actually I'm afraid the most updated version of the setting is fragmented among the many topics of the Edge subforum.

Return to “The Edge”