A detailed regional map

We left our old worlds, each of us. This is it. We can't go any farther. This is The Edge.
LoZompatore
Hill Giant

A detailed regional map

Post by LoZompatore » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:59 pm

After a long pause, here is some new material for the setting: in the following you can see a detailed map (8 miles/hex) of the whole regional area of Refuge Point, the Fiori Hills, Kelidra and other surroinding territories. It is actually an expansion of an older regional map, to include the valley of the Steel Ogres, the dwarvish settlement of Duzmaghen (described in detail here), the southern coast of the Lesser Aberrate Sea and other territories/features. The map is drawn with two different scales, the outer border being far less refined but ready for further developments. [;)]

Here is the map preview:

A full resolution map can be downloaded here. (Please note it's a large image about 3000 x 3600 pixels, about 1Mb in size)

In the picture I added some trade routes and a few new settlements (many more can be added by other contributors, I hope [;)]). Most of them have the "capital city" symbol, to suggest possible new countries in the area. I didn't specify anything in particular about the unnamed settlements, while I wrote down a few lines about the named ones listed below:

- Derogal and surroundings: Settlement/s inhabited by people dissatisfied with the rulers/government form of Refuge Point. they might be in competition with this city state or be neutral towards it.

- Hobrea: the "capital city" of a small nation of kobolds living in the surrounding hills / lake district. It connects to the early notes about marvan and Dravhad Keep.

- Rorm and all the settlements around: I wrote a dedicate thread here about them.

- Xabraa: The capitol of a small undersea country very hostile to surface seafarers. It forces traders to take the longest route along the coast in order to connect the settlements of Rorm and Derogal.

- Zeffis: Some kind of important caravan stop in the southern steppes. It could have a "silk road city" appearance and flavour.

Hope you enjoy the map!

[:)]

Chimpman
Hadozee

Re: A detailed regional map

Post by Chimpman » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:42 am

I just wanted to say that I love the style of your maps! I think they're brilliant! One thing that makes a setting distinctive (I think) is the style of the maps associated with it. While I'd love to see more terrain types being represented, I think the setting benefits from having maps that are distinctive from those in other settings.

For example DaveL did some maps with Thorf terrain icons, but he encapsulated those icons within topographical contour lines. Something like that could work very well for expanding these maps. DaveL, would you be willing to play around with that type of style for these maps?
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Dave L
Storm Giant

Post by Dave L » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:52 am

Things are quite hectic at the moment, but I've had a quick look.

2 primary issues - the first is that the 8 mile hexes are quite small - I resized Thorf's hexes for the bigger hex size (24 mile?), but it looks like we'd have to do that again for the 8 mile, and I'm not sure how it would look.

Second - does the map just posted really need terrain icons? It looks quite good as it is. Discuss. :)

Of course, if it's decided this is the way to go, I'd be happy to do what I can to modify Thorf's icons to work with this scale and make them available for whoever wants them.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:04 pm

Dave L wrote:2 primary issues - the first is that the 8 mile hexes are quite small - I resized Thorf's hexes for the bigger hex size (24 mile?), but it looks like we'd have to do that again for the 8 mile, and I'm not sure how it would look.
I suspect it would be easier to rescale the underlying map and then use the same size hexes for both 24 an 8 mph maps. I have to do this kind of thing quite often when pulling together and combining different maps from different sources.
Dave L wrote:Second - does the map just posted really need terrain icons? It looks quite good as it is. Discuss. :)
Well, you may be right here, although the map already does have at least one terrain hex - the swamp hex. I like how it's used, but filling the entire map with hex images might make it look too busy/less clean. It might be that this style of map could work with a greatly reduced hex palette. Perhaps omitting hexes related to altitude (like hills and mountains) and simply sticking with the contour lines instead (which I'd want to keep anyway).

That way things like forested hills just become contour lines with the forest hex placed on them. Not sure if that's what we want to go with, but I'd like to see a sample just to know how it turns out looking. I may play around with it myself once I have some more free time.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

LoZompatore
Hill Giant

Post by LoZompatore » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:24 pm

Thanks a lot for the positive feedback about the map guys! :) At first I used the altitude contour lines just for the largest maps (72 miles/hex) so to better define the smaller selections in 24 miles/hex and 8 miles/hex. Then I decided to stick to this style mostly out of laziness to place forests and other details since the first map. And now we have altitude contours even for this 8 mile/hex regional picture... Sorry about that :oops:

My map above really lacks forests and steppes. I made a few experiments with a "green spray" effect to represent forested areas, but I was not very sure about the results and so I gave up when I prepared the regional map. In the following picture you see a sample of this effect:

Let me know what you think about this effect. I still not have any idea on how to represent steppes and praires, anyway. ;)

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Post by Boddynock » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:08 am

Excellent map! However I have to slightly point out that the lizardfolk city of Gachet was changed to the more- uh- exotic sounding Gar-Jeet. Its minor and I can just use a pencil and scratch it out, but might want to consider that on a third release.
Check out my blog

My Wattpad Profile

Support your local gnome!

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:14 am

I was thinking of something like this. I've used some of Thorf's icons (minus the background colors) on these maps. What do you guys think?
Last edited by Chimpman on Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Jorkens
Stone Giant

Post by Jorkens » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:16 am

These look really great.

I must admit that maps are my Achilles-heel, so I am almost envious looking at these. I cant stand making them and am no good at it, especially on a computer. My last attempt at a homebrew stranded in the middle of the map making as usual.

Dave L
Storm Giant

Post by Dave L » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:29 am

Hmm, I don't know which I prefer, Chimpman. I like Thorf's icons, but ... which do you prefer?

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:18 pm

Dave L wrote:Hmm, I don't know which I prefer, Chimpman. I like Thorf's icons, but ... which do you prefer?
To be honest, I don't know. I like the icons, but in this case I think they might be overwhelming the map to some degree. Perhaps if I played with shrinking them down a bit. Let me try a few more things.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

LoZompatore
Hill Giant

Post by LoZompatore » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:43 pm

Just to say I liked your symbols, chimpman. ;)
In my opinion they could be used at least for the most detailed maps. Anyway, if you think the icons are too large, I'll wait for you experiments :mrgreen:

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:54 pm

LoZompatore wrote:Just to say I liked your symbols, chimpman. ;)
In my opinion they could be used at least for the most detailed maps. Anyway, if you think the icons are too large, I'll wait for you experiments :mrgreen:
Strange, my above image isn't coming out anymore. Anyway, I did play around with some smaller icons, and I can't say I liked them any better. I agree though, for the most detailed maps the icons might work.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Vile
Bugbear

Post by Vile » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:47 pm

LoZompatore wrote:I made a few experiments with a "green spray" effect to represent forested areas, but I was not very sure about the results and so I gave up when I prepared the regional map.
I think it might work better if the spray was more dense at the centre of the forested regions, and about the density you have it now at the edges.

Markustay
Orc

Post by Markustay » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:54 am

I used to have a lot of the same problems with map icons (and text) - you should bump the resolution up to around 300 so that you won't loose what the icon actually is when you shrink them down (and believe me I know - you WILL want to shrink them down... things get 'cluttered' fast).

You may want to check out some of the tutorials over at the Cartographer's guild - that site is off the hook for fantasy mapping (and its a great, helpful community). They have several tutorials and many styles for forests.

I like what I see so far, BTW. :)
"Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it kind, is it true, is it necessary, does it improve upon the silence?" -Shirdi Sai Baba

LoZompatore
Hill Giant

Post by LoZompatore » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:22 am

You may want to check out some of the tutorials over at the Cartographer's guild - that site is off the hook for fantasy mapping (and its a great, helpful community). They have several tutorials and many styles for forests.
Thanks a lot for the info! I dodin't know the link, it seems rather useful to me! :D
I'll have a check for sure, not only for the Edge setting but also to improve cartography for my own campaigns. ;)

Return to “The Edge”