New Wilderlands Campaign

From the Court of the World Emperor to the Barbarian Tribelands of Altanis. Explore Bob Bledsaw's Wilderlands under the shadow of the Invincible Overlord...

New Wilderlands Campaign

Postby JamesMishler » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:10 am

I am back in the Wilderlands, getting set up to start a new Wilderlands of High Adventure campaign using Labyrinth Lord.

Development has started and will be documented on my blog:

Hanging Out in the City State

I'll drop some updates in here, too, now and again...
JamesMishler
Bugbear

Re: New Wilderlands Campaign

Postby Big Mac » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:00 pm

Thanks for crossposting that link here James.

I'm going to post two links for anybody who comes to read this topic in the future (direct to the blog entries you already wrote about this game):

I've got a question about your first blog entry. You said you were making a Hexographer map, so that you could add new locations. What have you added to the Hexographer map of the City State of the Invincible Overlord area?

The Religions of the CSIO blog entry looks like it is going to be interesting. I'll probably wait for the other two parts before asking any questions about that, but I think the three parts are going to be useful to other WIlderlands GMs.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby JamesMishler » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:46 pm

Big Mac wrote:I've got a question about your first blog entry. You said you were making a Hexographer map, so that you could add new locations. What have you added to the Hexographer map of the City State of the Invincible Overlord area.

The original map of Hex 01-2623 first appeared on the back of the Campaign Hexagon System book. It shows the City State and its surroundings, though those surroundings are rather empty, other than the bits that were also on the City State map.

While some folks like the whole "as empty as a desert wasteland" feel of the Wilderlands, I like mine a little less empty. So I added a few more things here and there; a couple of hamlets, a couple of inns, some encounter points, statues, shrines, lairs, etc.

The 5-mile hexes of the Wilderlands of High Adventure are far less empty than those of the Wilderlands of High Fantasy. Though they are not as full as they might seem. Small triangles represent either encounter points or lairs. An "encounter point" is a location where, when the party enters that hex, you always check for a random encounter of the listed type, and the odds of an encounter are 3 in 6 rather than the usual 1 in 6.

For example, there are two "Giant Frog" encounter points on the map. When the party enters that hex, you roll a d6; on a 1-3, they encounter giant frogs. Roll again to determine the type of giant frogs (d10): 1-6 Giant, 7+8 Killer, 9+10 Poisonous.

My outlines note whether a triangle is an encounter point or a lair.

Specific new locations of note on Hex 01-2623 are:

Royal Manor
Sphinx (Lair)
Tower of Mervyn the Mauve
The Trollpit
Castle Kalderic, the Hamlet of Riveld, and the Secret Tunnel
Temple of Mitra
Weeping Queen Spring
Bubbling Baths
Barbarian Camp
Orc's Head Inn
Smuggler's Beach and Smuggler's Gate
Shrine of Silvanus
Rusting Spire
Brownie (Lair)
Hamlet of Little By-Water
Boat Beach
Hamlet of Salmoidia (Blue Bass Hall)
Big Bass Point
Toad Shrine
Statue
Bellingar Hall

The following areas were on the original City State map but never fully detailed:

Gold Bosum Pool
Burial Grounds
Rainbow Falls
Bristling Tavern
Twilight Hamlet
Stadium
Watchtower
Oracle Lake
Topaz Inn
Villa
Freebooters Ferry
Groaning Falls
(Glory Hole) Dwarven Mine
Goblin Reservation
Fortune Teller
Redoubt of the Dead
Palisade Ruin
Ferd Ferry

My notes on the blog will include information that characters might know about these things; when I'm done detailing the entire map on the blog, I'll also post my judge's notes to Google Drive for judges to use...
JamesMishler
Bugbear

Postby Baron » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:51 pm

Thanks for sharing, James. This should be fun.
Baron
Bugbear

Postby JamesMishler » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:37 pm

The three blog posts detailing the major religions of the City State are up:

Odin, Thoth, and Harmakhis

Morg, Nephthys, and Pegana

The Gargoyle, The Toad, and Manannan Mac Lir

Later I'll get around to talking about the Minor Religions and Lesser Cults... but this covers the big stuff for now...
JamesMishler
Bugbear

Postby ZardokhasSpoken » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:52 pm

I keep getting denied access to the links. States I have to be an invited guest. What quest must I fulfill to be such an honored guest? Thanks!
ZardokhasSpoken
Goblin

Postby JamesMishler » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:23 pm

Should be open now. My blogging is on extended hiatus right now...
JamesMishler
Bugbear

Postby ZardokhasSpoken » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:19 pm

Wow! Thanks Mr. Mishler! Really cool stuff! I was looking forward to your take on the various religions, and I am not disappointed. I was particularly interested in your take on Morg, and it is fascinating! My own take was that Morg is the Chaotic God of Bureaucracy, and that his church structure contains a thousand layers of total dysfunctionality. Worshippers typically being royalty and those seeking government assistance, giving donations in the hopes of cutting thru the endless streams of red tape, confusion, and dystopia. I am currently working on a complete Gods of the Wilderlands, starting with Unknown Gods, adding the main gods as spelled out in the Players Guide, and fleshing out all the deities mentioned in every JG product. It would be a great honor to share this project with you, and a greater one to receive your feedback. Have a great day!
ZardokhasSpoken
Goblin

Postby Chris107 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:05 pm

Looks amazing. Just started my own Wilderlands game and this has inspired me no end. Thanks for sharing.
Best
Chris
Chris107
Kobold

Return to Wilderlands