Moons over the Wilderlands

From the Court of the World Emperor to the Barbarian Tribelands of Altanis. Explore Bob Bledsaw's Wilderlands under the shadow of the Invincible Overlord...

Moons over the Wilderlands

Postby ZardokhasSpoken » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:59 pm

Is there any official canon on how many moons there are above the Wilderlands? In 'Under the Sky King's Light', a series of stories appearing in the Judges Guild Journal (iirc), stated there were two. James Mishler has three in his Wilderlands campaign. Anyone know if there is something 'official'? Please include reference to original documents of you know. Thanks!
ZardokhasSpoken
Goblin

Re: Moons over the Wilderlands

Postby ripvanwormer » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:13 am

The Necromancer Games stuff almost always refers to the moon as singular, except in the Wilderlands of High Fantasy Campaign Setting, page 16, where it refers to "moons" as plural but doesn't state how many there are.

James Mishler's The World of the Wilderlands of High Adventure describes three moons.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:16 am

ZardokhasSpoken wrote:Is there any official canon on how many moons there are above the Wilderlands? In 'Under the Sky King's Light', a series of stories appearing in the Judges Guild Journal (iirc), stated there were two. James Mishler has three in his Wilderlands campaign. Anyone know if there is something 'official'? Please include reference to original documents of you know. Thanks!

I've not heard of "Under the Sky King's Light" before. Does that series of stories suggest that the "Sky King" is the name of one of the moons? (That would be a pretty cool name for a moon.)

Why wouldn't Judges Guild Journal be "official"? Is it a fanzine?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby ZardokhasSpoken » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:26 pm

The names of the moons in Under The Sky King's Light were Howla and Vanis. Howla is a larger yellow moon, Vanis is a smaller red moon. The stories were in the Dungeoneer, my mistake, and as such are not official canon. But this is what I use for my campaign. I am currently working on filling in all the gaps in the Gods of the Wilderlands, and having something official would be nice. If not, then I will use the two moons, as I have already created a calendar with their cycles. UTSKL is a good read, you should check them out!
ZardokhasSpoken
Goblin

Postby ZardokhasSpoken » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:34 pm

Oh, I guess I didn't answer your questions fully. Judges Guild Journal and Dungeoneer were like Dragon magazine. They did not support any one game system or world. Just like the ficition stories in Dragon, the ones in Judges Guild products were not official canon in any way. Now Pegasus magazine by Judges Guild supported JG's Wilderlands, and many, but not all, of the articles therein were Wilderlands specific. If you do not have the JG magazines, you should get them. I have gotten more mileage out of the JG magazines than I have gotten out of the first 250 Dragon magazine issues. Amazing gems in every issue. I cannot recommend them enough. Check with Badmike over at www.dragonsfoot.org he had bundles of the magazines for sale (in original shrink) for a very fair price. Check the classifieds, he just posted an updated list of items he has for sale.
ZardokhasSpoken
Goblin

Return to Wilderlands