Blatant plug for my CSOTWE online game.

From the Court of the World Emperor to the Barbarian Tribelands of Altanis. Explore Wilderlands under the shadow of the Invincible Overlord...

Moderators: Big Mac, Havard

genghisdon
Ogre

Re: Blatant plug for my CSOTWE online game.

Post by genghisdon »

cool

I was surprised myself at the girl's seeming reluctance to melee, but it worked out pretty well, albeit very expensive in spell slots

Chris107
Bugbear

Post by Chris107 »

Review of session 87 (Tuesday 7th April 2020)

Clyw has a tale to tell, return to Caer Cadwen and Marid attack.

Players and their characters
Genghisdon with Caliph Earendil. High Priest of Mitra.
Dreamteam playing Lord Clyw of Grimalon a Rogue from the CSIO.
Icemaiden and Thebia, Shariffa of At-Kadeen . Amazon Paladin of Athena from Highhaven.
Bochi with Lady Alkaia of Grimalon. Amazon Ranger of Sea Rune.

Events 0100 16/1/4449 - 1200 4/2/4449

Search as they may there was no sign of Clyw or the wizard in the chamber atop the tower. Several days were spent searching the place until quite without warning one morning he was sat in the kitchen drinking rea before the fire. He had quite the tale to tell.

It was decided to return to Caer Cadwen and Earendil whisked them off on the wings of a spell. Here they made further plans and procured supplies for their long journy back to the Marmon Swamp. They decided to go as far as they could on their enchanted boat and set off upstream on the morning of the 4th. It was heavy going against the fast flowing Leander and just as it came into sight a fog cloud swiftly descended upon them.
Something watery was forming around them in the dense fog. A Water Elemental which they battled bravely then with a great whoosh! A jet of water struck them, washing poor Clyw overboard into the river.
Earendil jumped after him, swimming under water to avoid the fog both at the mercy of the powerful current.
Back on the ship the elementl was soon defeated but then it's master came aboard. A dreadful Marid!
We join them here next week.
Clyw is 5 rounds from the shore and taking all his effort to stay afloat.
Eaendil is underwater searching for him, now with daylight on his shield.
The Amazons are aboard and engaged in battle.
Alkaia -21
Thebia - 19
Earendil - 16
Clyw - 7
Marid - 6

Chris107
Bugbear

Post by Chris107 »

Clyw’s strange tale...

Clyw feels himself falling, life ebbing from him then came the fiery explosion, the searing pain. His determination to cling to life was strong but he knows it’s over. He settles into a comforting darkness.
After an infinite amount of time he finds himself floating down a tunnel towards a clear, white light. The pain is receding. He feels comforted, warm, at peace....
Just as he’s about to slip into welcome oblivion he feels an iron hard grip around his heart, he looks back over his shoulder to see an impossibly cruel, scaled face leering at him. He hears a voice like waves washing over a shingle beach in his head; “Oh no little fool, death is too easy. I have use of you yet. Come back, come back, come back......” the voice trails away and Clyw opens his eyes.

He finds himself in a high ceilinged chamber surrounded by mermaid fountains, large crystal lamps and jade statues. The floor and walls glisten with emeralds and he lays upon a golden couch beside a small table laid out with sumptuous foods a heavy crystal decanter full of honey coloured wine and two matching stemmed goblets.

At first he thinks he’s alone then notices the most beautiful woman he has ever seen, her skin a silky Celadon sat quietly watching him. “Ah! You’re awake. My husband will be delighted. I am Murielle Eidn. Wonderful to meet you at last Mr. Furton, I trust you are comfortable?”

Clyw's mind briefly boggles at the mystery of all that has happened, but his ego quickly recovers and takes it in stride. He always knew he was special: first the prophecy, then the green scaley guy and now this pleasant-talking jade-skinned doxy confirm it. He wonders how long he was floating in limbo, but figures days probably don't count for much in the afterlife...

Using a clever bit of misdirection, he quickly summons the invisible mage hand while helping himself to a glass of wine and making pleasant chat... taking in the surroundings all in the sweep of an eye. "Seems quite the welcome. So, this is paradise eh (sip), or somewhere closer to the Prime? Do you do this often... rescuing people from death? I take it you and your husband had some involvement in my being here?" He moves around as he talks, professionally scoping out the place and his beautiful hostess, should a bit of legerdemain prove necessary. "Your husband is the one with the scaly face?"

"Let me guess... you need my help to take out the Emperor! Well, I'll tell you straight out, I don't do assassinations, though I would be willing to steal his crown jewels. And of course there would have to be payment. Though I will make a generous reduction of fee in your case because of services rendered and because this is quite good wine. Also I happen to like green." Clyw smiles warmly.

She seems about to reply when a set of gilded doors open. “Mr. Furton! So glad you are feeling better. I’m Hautilin Seheitt and I see you have met my wife? Welcome to Veridistan, the City of Spices!”

Nonplussed, but now senses on high alert, Clyw figures the Green Emperor has brought him here for more than pleasant banter. He awaits the monologue, knowing that villains can't help but spill the beans on their secret plans…

Seheitt and Eidn lead Clyw through a second set of gilded doors. The emperor’s strange ‘chair’ gliding along silently and the empress with one delicate hand laid in a friendly fashion on Clyw’s wrist walking beside. They seem genuinely interested in hearing any of the rogues stories and rarely interrupt except to occasionally clarify a point.

They lead him down magnificent hallways ablaze with candelabra, the dancing light reflected off a million green gemstones set into every surface. Priceless works of art are tastefully displayed in this palace of wonders. After a short time they pass three stunningly beautiful mermaids in ornate tanks then enter a dining hall of unsurpassed elegance and luxury.

Over dinner Seheitt outlines the following: “You have no doubt heard terrible things of me Mr. Furton? How I am a monster who rules my subjects with a savage cruelty and demands tribute without a care from your own home city of Ramsarhon? How I raise demons to crush my enemies?!”

“But tell me, have you seen evidence of this? I know you have travelled extensively across the empire. Did you find my subjects living in fear and poverty? Did you see any but my enemies raising Demons? Was it not me that drove the wicked Natchai from this city and would have driven them out of the empire completely if this needless war had not been thrust upon me?
I am guilty of but two crimes. Building a wall to protect my people from the perfidious elves and fearing the rise of that great evil known as Mycr.”

He pauses as he takes a drink of a deep crimson wine. “Mr. Furton, I know you are aware of the nature of these Mycretians.. these blind fanatics. Who I even believe the Hags of the Marmonmist fear? It is these so called gentle folk who we must all beware of. The elves, even the Mitrans have all fallen under their spell. They are patient and will spread, town by town, city by city until only their God is recognised and humanity groans under His yoke. The witches claim they want to stop him, indeed they have stolen many powerful magical items from this very Palace to bolster their failing powers. But it is only I who can destroy this wicked abomination and I can only do it with your help. Will you help me Mr. Furton? Will you and your friends recover my magic from the hands of the witches of the Marmonmist then have the courage to stand with me against Mycr?”

Clyw listens to any reasonable offer... "So what is it exactly you want to steal?" (Aside: Does Hautilin Seheitt think Clyw was born yesterday? With his own eyes, he has seen demons fighting alongside Imperial armies near Rappan Anthuk even now, plus others infesting Gheulost Isle, not to mention an Abyssal ghostly fleet protecting the secret island in the Trident Gulf. Are these not Seheitt's minions? Did they not almost burn the domain of the elves almost to the last tree? Did imperial Vasthosts not slaughter the innocents of Sully?)

That said, the Emperor's story does seem to reinforce Clyw's own misgivings about the Mycretians. "So why haven't you made common cause with the Hags if you all want the same thing?" he asks.

Seheitt replies “The Hags are more cunning than you know. They too are ancient creatures who came north from their homeland many centuries ago. They are cannibals and wish only for Chaos! They think only of themselves and can not be trusted. “

Clw considers "In any case, for the final answer, I'll have to consult with my three amigos. They might want you to lose the slavery and build some Mitran and Athenian temples. And then of course we need to talk payment", Clyw flourishes with his hands towards the posh surrounding for effect. "Let's see... for rescuing the empire, from the destruction of the world no less... hmmm, that's gonna be a doozie."

The Emperor recites “These words you know well…
Lady, Fool, Lord
And Sea Rune’s Daughter
Emperor’s Child preparing for slaughter.
Mer or Menhir or Hags of the Mermist
King of Normoot or King of Rags caring?
Ancient reeds shifting if only they’re daring.”

“Mr. Furton, here in my city you will find a temple to Shang-Ti and to Thoth. Mitra, Athena and other Lawful Gods all have a place here. Alas some have been duped by the silver tongue of The Deceiver (Mycr). In The Lord (Earendil) I had hoped for such a one who would lift the heavy veil from the eyes of his church but it seems he can not see half as well as you the dangers before him."

“So take this offer to your friends. Tell them, I am old and will soon go into to the depths with my beautiful wife. Tell Earendil my Empire will be his and freely given, tell him Mitra may rule when I am gone but also tell The Lord this; that while the Hags brew Chaos in the Marmon and while Mycr, The Deceiver pollutes his church that he will never prevail.”

“...You and your friends have their part to play. Much of what was written has come to pass, much remains for you to do. The dancers take the floor. How long will it be now before my own son, who leads the Natchai or the wicked Overlord or Mycr himself will come to overthrow this last Lawful Empire? It is in your gift to prevent this and usher in a new golden age. As if that is not reward enough?”

Here he smiles a surprisingly broad white grin at Clyw then continues. “There are but four of the stolen treasures I require. The others, each mighty artifacts you and your friends may keep. You may think to keep them all? So let me warn you that the Hags are no fools. They have them hidden, well protected by fang, claw and magical curse. When you feel the time is ripe, speak this reed and I shall stand beside you in the battle. But save it until all hope is lost for it can compel me only once.”

“Green Man, Green Man
I am in need
The Hags of the Marmon
On my flesh would feed!
Green Man, Green Man
Mount your fell steed
Join battle beside us
Come at great speed!”

“I have but two more messages. To The Lady, tell her ‘The Griffins will rise again, beware the Green Lady of Thusia. And to Sea Rune’s Daughter ‘The Irons Spear of Immortal Ashan was forged for this very purpose.”

“Now Clyw, may I call you Clyw? It is time for you to decide. Will you aid me? I can return you now to your friends if you will and please take these baubles as a sign of my good will.” He hands Clyw a silk purse of 50, 1000GP emeralds.

Clyw agrees to take the Emperor's proposal to the others, but it is not his sole decision to make. Though he does suppose offering Earendil the Imperial Throne will go a long way to assuage any hard feelings...

Chris107
Bugbear

Post by Chris107 »

Review of session 88 (Tuesday 14th April 2020)

River trip to Stay Falls. Rumours of a great cathedral, dive bombing Peryton and Banshees at the window.

Icemaiden and Thebia, Shariffa of At-Kadeen . Amazon Paladin of Athena from Highhaven.

Events 1200 4/2/4449 - 1900 7/2/4449

The girls proved to much for the Marid and he fled back to his watery plane a great deal worse for wear. They picked the boys up from the bank and continued their sailing northwards.
Staying overnight at the Ghan Bridge, Thebia heard rumour that a vast cathedral to Athena had been completed up Damkina way by some chap called Winsindor, she was almost as green as Earendil for a while but Alkaia’s coneys put her back on form.
Upriver still further they were debating their course when out of the gloomy sleet came 4 Peryton. One gouged Earendil before they were blasted from the sky.
It was determined the most direct route would be taken from here but using their magical cottage they first rested for the night. During Clyw’s watch a fearful apparition appeared at the window. The Banshee wailed but our lad wasn’t impressed and she fled back into the night.
Morning broke clear and the party pressed further north, joining some soldiers at the Nurn for lunch before crossing to the north bank to pass Stay Falls and join the river west of Ruppin Athuk.
Until next week.

Chris107
Bugbear

Post by Chris107 »

Review of session 89 (Tuesday 21st April 2020)

To the lair of the Marmon Witches. (Or the Veridian Play as we prefer to call it.)

Events 1900 7/2/4449 - midday 10/2/4449

Following a quiet night in the caves at Stay Falls they sailed on down the Nurn to the Ruppin Athuk Bridge where they partied long into the night with Aknekkle and his Giants, Alkaia once more gaining their great favour with her off colour ditties. Parting from them on the morrow they pressed onwards sailing into the swift flow of mighty Sharynn where they made good progress until the confluence with the Snikle where they were hailed by a small wooden craft.
The folks on board wore their long hair hung with flowers . They called out to come aboard and share the word of Mycr. Earendil instead decided to join them on their boat but was in for a shock. No sooner had he set foot aboard than they swiftly cast off and then began to change, to morph into the most horrid shapes, entwining together each hungrily seeking the blood of the cleric. He was wounded most horridly before fast thinking Alkaia fired volly after volly of arrows into the writhing mass and then Earendil exploded a fireball around himself and finished them off with an even more powerful enchantment. He returned to their own ship more thn a bit worse for ware.
As darkness fell they finally found the ancient jetti marked on the Mull Kreen map. They spent a quiet night here preparing to enter the swamp come dawn. Stepping ashore they were amazed to find that by following the map's route the muck and filth of the swamp seemed to make way for them, even the mist clearing somewhat and by lunchtime the witches lair came into view.
A road of old and broken cobbles led up a small hill that raised itself above the surrounding marsh. A collection of small, homely buildings, beehives, orchards and vegetable gardens atop it. Bees hummed, chickens pecked and three hunched figures sat beneath the apple trees just east of the five barred gate that crossed the path.

As they approached the gate the witches chant together..

“By the pricking of my thumbs,
Bold adventures this way come?
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks”

Gaedd
“Thrice and one
The bold heroes come!”

Phyth
“Thrice and once we’ll hear them whine”

Gaedd
“Mycr cries "'Tis time, 'tis time!”

All

“Hehehehehehehe!”

Alkaia replied.

"Ancient ladies over there
We have come to talk and hear
So we knock upon your gate
Show us kindness, and not hate!"

And we leave them at the witches gate until next week.

Chris107
Bugbear

Post by Chris107 »

Review of Session 90. (Tuesday 28th April 2020)

Much is explained.

Events midday 10/2/4449 1400 10/2/4449

After exchanging formal greetings (Alkaia was a star) the witches welcomed the party into their home.
Much was revealed which will be spelled out here in clear English to avoid misunderstandings.

The witches have no idea what the party was sent here to recover for the emperor. They suggest that his long lost son, Whitefre (recently returned and now leading the Natchai from the city of Grimalon, map attached.) is much more likely to be responsible for the thefts than they.

They insist that it is Mycr the self styled ‘one God’ Who is the great threat to humanity not the ailing green emperor and ask if the party is willing to battle him?

The Dopplegangers last week posing as Mycretians described Mitra as Mycr’s Hand Maiden. Zealots in the cult of Mycr had before described Earendil’s God as Mycr’s Herald.

The choices I suggested as DM to make writing the next chapters easier were these.

1) Side with the witches against Mycr.
2) Side with the emperor against the Witches. Then possibly aiding him against Mycr.
3) Settle things once and for all with Whitefire and the Natchai at Grimalon. Possibly discovering what he stole from his father, the emperor, that that worthy wants back so badly.
4) To Hell with Hags and Empire and keep onside with the Mitra/Mycr alliance.

Earendil at this point floated the idea that they could summon Hautulin Seheitt (the Green Emperor) using the chant given to Clyw and the party and the Hags battle him together. A proposal none too warmly welcomed by the three witches.

They are shortly to part and await the decision of the group. They offer as reward one draw from their magical card deck (22 card Deck of Many Things) or the choice of any one common or uncommon magical item from the DMG.

Session terminated early due to DM fatigue. Apologies.
Maps to follow tomorrow.

Return to “Wilderlands”