Wilderlands cosmology

From the Court of the World Emperor to the Barbarian Tribelands of Altanis. Explore Bob Bledsaw's Wilderlands under the shadow of the Invincible Overlord...

Wilderlands cosmology

Postby galliard » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:28 pm

The Wilderlands cosmology is weird.

My understanding is this:

The Prime Material plane is wrapped in The Void, which is wrapped in a Planar Membrane, which is connected to the Celestial Realms and the Netherlands (heaven and hell). This all grows on the World Tree, which grows in the four elemental planes. The Elemental Planes are connected to the prime through the tree. Other, alternate primes also grow on the tree, presumably wrapped in the same stuff. Arborea is the land in the shade of the tree.

Have I got this?
galliard
Gnoll

Re: Wilderlands cosmology

Postby galliard » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:46 pm

OK, let me try that again. I forgot the Shadowlands and just didn't get it in general. Let's take a look at the traditional planes map from the 1e Player's Handbook:

Leaving aside the World Tree and Arborea for a moment, the Wilderlands planescape is somewhat similar, but there are a couple of very key differences.

The Wilderlands version of this would be keyed as follows:

1. The Prime Material plane, surrounded by The Void, wrapped in a Planar Membrane.

2. Celestial Realms

3. Netherlands

4. Air
5. Fire
6. Earth
7. Water

8. The Shadowlands

So now let's bring in the tree. The tree connects all realms. It is rooted in the Earth plane, and its branches reach into the air plane. It is warmed by the fire plane, and nourished by the water plane.

From top to bottom, this is how I picture it:

Celestial Realms in the branches.

Just below the branches (hanging off them?), we have the Prime Material Plane and a whole bunch of Alternate Primes, wrapped (with a healthy dose of Void) into individual Planar Membranes, and connected through the World Tree to the Elemental Realms.

Just above the roots, we have Arborea.

Below the roots, we have the Netherlands.

The Shadowlands fills all the spaces in between. All Planes are encompassed by Planar Membranes.

The roots and branches extend outside of the elemental realms, and connect with each other at the edges. Here some crazy extreme beings live outside of the Planes.

Of course, it's all a lot more vague and fluid than this, but I have to figure out some way to visualize it.

All the info is from the New Wilderlands Player's Guide, by the way. I'd be interested to know if there are any Old Wilderlands sources for the cosmology if anyone has that info.
galliard
Gnoll

Postby Havard » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:03 pm

Interesting, I had never paid much notice to the differences in cosmology between the Wilderlands and other D&D Settings.

Although with the Netherlands, wouldn't that mean you would also have Belgium nearby...? :mrgreen:

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby galliard » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:12 am

Havard wrote:Interesting, I had never paid much notice to the differences in cosmology between the Wilderlands and other D&D Settings.

Although with the Netherlands, wouldn't that mean you would also have Belgium nearby...? :mrgreen:

-Havard

Ahem... that was supposed to be Netherworld. :oops:
galliard
Gnoll

Return to Wilderlands