Calandia Guidebook

From the Court of the World Emperor to the Barbarian Tribelands of Altanis. Explore Bob Bledsaw's Wilderlands under the shadow of the Invincible Overlord...
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Calandia Guidebook

Post by Big Mac » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:30 pm

There is a product called Calandia Guidebook that is part of Mayfair Games's City-State of the Invincible Overlord product line.

The product is by "Terry Randall" (which is the secret ninja pen-name that was used by Teramis when she was working for TSR and Mayfair at the same time). I can't find any reviews, but the Calandia Guidebook page at The Arcaeum says there are three books in the boxed set:
  • Religion in Calandia,
  • The Calandia Guidebook and
  • Calandian Dictionary.
The page on Arcaeum says the books are 40, 32 and 24 pages, but does not state which is the big and small book of the three.

I am wondering how well these three books fit in with th other Wilderlands products.

Do the religions fit into the societies created for other Wilderlands offshoots, or are there some that are uncompatible?

Does the Calandia Guidebook fit with the classic series of Wilderlands maps, or did Teramis work from a different continental map? Is the Calandia area bigger or smaller than the areas that have been made for other forks of Wilderlands?

How about this Calandian Dictionary? Is it a full-blown language (like Klingion is) or something smaller? Is the entire world supposed to speak in Calandian? Is it supposed to be a language of the past (used for place names and so on)? Does Mayfair use the language in any of it's other products?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

galliard
Gnoll

Re: Calandia Guidebook

Post by galliard » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:42 am

My understanding (and I could be wrong here) is that the Mayfair Games products are NOT compatible with Judges Guild products old or new.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:27 pm

galliard wrote:My understanding (and I could be wrong here) is that the Mayfair Games products are NOT compatible with Judges Guild products old or new.
I've heard they are different, but heard that they must be similar to the changes between Wilderlands of High Fantasy, Wilderlands of High Adventure and Majestic Wilderlands.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

gmkeros
Goblin

Post by gmkeros » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:09 pm

The Calandia setting for Mayfair is completely different from the old JG setting and does not fit in at all. The only thing they used was the City State, and even that one is some kind of weird version that often doesn't fit together with the original.

I was so happy to find some of the Mayfair books in a RPG store in Vienna, until I started reading them and noticed that nothing of it fits together with the Wilderlands I love...

robertsconley
Hobgoblin

Post by robertsconley » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:12 pm

Big Mac wrote:
galliard wrote:My understanding (and I could be wrong here) is that the Mayfair Games products are NOT compatible with Judges Guild products old or new.
I've heard they are different, but heard that they must be similar to the changes between Wilderlands of High Fantasy, Wilderlands of High Adventure and Majestic Wilderlands.
The social and cultural information could be used. The geography was completely useless. Calandia was a original setting unique to Mayfair.

The only piece of geography that could be useful was the CSIO itself as a some future version of the original.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:44 am

Thanks Gmkeros and Robert.

So what's the story behind Calandia having it's own version of CSIO? Did they licence the city before Wilderlands was fully developed and then go their own way? Or is it only the actual name they are using?

Return to “Wilderlands”