Wilderlands of High Fantasy Map One Ruins

From the Court of the World Emperor to the Barbarian Tribelands of Altanis. Explore Bob Bledsaw's Wilderlands under the shadow of the Invincible Overlord...
DizzySaxophone
Goblin

Wilderlands of High Fantasy Map One Ruins

Post by DizzySaxophone » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:10 pm

So last night I was going over my Wilderlands of High Fantasy, and I realized when I got to the Map One section, there is no ruins indicated for map one (or at least not in my .pdf). Am missing a page or are there really no ruins indicated for map one? If so, what have you done to add in ruins? I haven't checked my CIty State to see if maybe they're in there.

ZardokhasSpoken
Orc

Re: Wilderlands of High Fantasy Map One Ruins

Post by ZardokhasSpoken » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:55 pm

What version (print date) are you referring to?

DizzySaxophone
Goblin

Post by DizzySaxophone » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:20 pm

I'm looking at the original judges guild version. 1977

ZardokhasSpoken
Orc

Post by ZardokhasSpoken » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:53 pm

I believe there was a Ravaged Ruins section for CSIO printed in either a Pegasus, Dungeoneer, or Guidelines supplement. If I have time I will try and dig it up for you.

ZardokhasSpoken
Orc

Post by ZardokhasSpoken » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:32 pm

I believe what you are looking for was printed in the Initial Guidelines Booklet K, which is available via download from Judges Guild at www.drivethrurpg.com

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:02 am

ZardokhasSpoken wrote:I believe what you are looking for was printed in the Initial Guidelines Booklet K, which is available via download from Judges Guild at http://www.drivethrurpg.com
Why is this product called Initial Guidelines Booklet K? And what's the deal with the "twelve pages scanned from the original 1977 release" thing? Is that 12 pages cut out of something larger (like a Judges Guild boxed set with other booklets)? :?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

robertsconley
Hobgoblin

Post by robertsconley » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:28 pm

Big Mac wrote:
ZardokhasSpoken wrote:I believe what you are looking for was printed in the Initial Guidelines Booklet K, which is available via download from Judges Guild at http://www.drivethrurpg.com
Why is this product called Initial Guidelines Booklet K? And what's the deal with the "twelve pages scanned from the original 1977 release" thing? Is that 12 pages cut out of something larger (like a Judges Guild boxed set with other booklets)? :?
Judges Guild started out as a subscription service. They would release a bundle of charts, maps, and text periodically. The first one was Installment I, then J, K, and so on up to U and then they went on by number up to 25 the last one being Castle Book II.

The first Judges Guild Product were installments collected together and sold under a table. For example City-State of the Invincible Overlord is a combination of Installments I, J. Wilderlands of High Fantasy was developed out of Installment K.

You can see a full list here
http://www.acaeum.com/jg/IndexbyCode.html

robertsconley
Hobgoblin

Post by robertsconley » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:35 pm

As for the OP there are no ruins for Map 1. Probably because it first test run of the Wilderlands concept. You can see that the map has a slightly different style. It offset slightly off when you try to join it with the other maps and so forth and so on. You can see this in the link I referenced in the previous post.

Installment K was produced with Map 1. Then they worked on L - Tegal Manor and M- Modron. And then they worked on N and O which were Maps 2/3 and Maps 4/5. So to me it looks like they did K, and when it came time to do N they refined the format and that how it was setup for the rest of maps.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:39 am

robertsconley wrote:Installment K was produced with Map 1. Then they worked on L - Tegal Manor and M- Modron. And then they worked on N and O which were Maps 2/3 and Maps 4/5. So to me it looks like they did K, and when it came time to do N they refined the format and that how it was setup for the rest of maps.
"M- Modron" sounds like something that would have predated Planescape. Is there any connection? Are the modrons of Planescape based on anything from Wilderlands?
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

JamesMishler
Ogre

Post by JamesMishler » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:03 am

Big Mac wrote:
robertsconley wrote:Installment K was produced with Map 1. Then they worked on L - Tegal Manor and M- Modron. And then they worked on N and O which were Maps 2/3 and Maps 4/5. So to me it looks like they did K, and when it came time to do N they refined the format and that how it was setup for the rest of maps.
"M- Modron" sounds like something that would have predated Planescape. Is there any connection? Are the modrons of Planescape based on anything from Wilderlands?
"Modron" is the name of the river goddess, Modron, based loosely on the Welsh goddess of the same name.

Bob was BIG into Welsh influences (among others, of course), but there are a bunch of Welsh bits strewn all over the Wilderlands.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:49 am

JamesMishler wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
"Modron" is the name of the river goddess, Modron, based loosely on the Welsh goddess of the same name.

Bob was BIG into Welsh influences (among others, of course), but there are a bunch of Welsh bits strewn all over the Wilderlands.
There is some interesting stuff in Welsh culture. I've looked some of it up, but I'm not sure I've noticed the goddess Modron before.

S'mon
Orc

Post by S'mon » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:47 am

I tend to treat the Welsh stuff in Wilderlands as "Tharbrian", though it can be a bit of a stretch sometimes - those Wildmen sure got around! :D

S'mon
Orc

Post by S'mon » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:50 am

For appropriate Ruins of the Roglaras you could do a lot worse than throwing in a bunch of Dyson Logos' work, either from his website or from Dyson's Delves I & II. I do this for Barbarian Altanis but I think the tone, with eg a lot of ruined manor houses & their subterranean dungeons beneath, fits even better in the CSIO/Roglaras area. The Valley of the Red Apes though I put further south, near the Crimson Serpent Jungle in Oricha.

JamesMishler
Ogre

Post by JamesMishler » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:18 pm

S'mon wrote:I tend to treat the Welsh stuff in Wilderlands as "Tharbrian", though it can be a bit of a stretch sometimes - those Wildmen sure got around! :D
In the Wilderlands of High Adventure, the Wild Men of the North were a patchwork of Germanic and Celtic clans and tribes; more Celtic in the east, Germanic in the west.

Then came the Viridians in the west and the Orichalans in the east; the Viridians were more Greek, the Orichalans were more Roman.

The ancestors of the Tharbrians and the Altanians were strongly Celtic; the ancestors of the Tharbrians fled west and north, to the Plains of Lethe, and there transformed into a nomadic people, with a culture somewhere between that of the Tocharians and that of the Scottish Highlanders. The Altanians kept to their mountain holds, merged with a local semi-human race (Red Martians of Barsoom, ergo the red skin and psychic abilities) and developed into their modern Cimmerian-style Celts.

When the Orichalan Dragon Empire collapsed, leaving behind the disparate Dragon Lords, the culture in the Roglaras was a mix of Romano-British, Celtic, and Anglo-Saxon (eastern Wild Men mixing with early Valonar, the ancestors of the Skandiks).

The Roglarans (my Alryans, the urban folk of the City-State and nearby cities, towns, and large villages)) are descended from a mix of peoples... from my histories...

"…in 3075 BCCC, the temporarily resurgent Viridians returned to the Roglaras, seeking to put an end to the Tharbrian threat in the east. To that end they cleared and occupied the ancient, fearsome, and long-haunted Fortress Rhamsandron, said to be left over from the War of the Pious and Philosophers. They conquered and united the Halflings of the Hamlet of By-Water and the Tharbriana of the Village of Water-Rat, shielding them with a new palisade wall and protecting them with a legion of warriors. They brought in allied tribes of Wild Men, Tharbriana, and Altanians, along with clans of Orichalans, Amazons, Skandiks, Valonar, Antillians, and even Tharbrians, together with colonists from Viridistan (mostly criminals, truth be known) and around that kernel of disparate peoples built a new city."

And the races of today are as you see them in the Races of the Roglaras post, elsewhere.

S'mon
Orc

Post by S'mon » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:45 pm

"The Altanians kept to their mountain holds, merged with a local semi-human race (Red Martians of Barsoom, ergo the red skin and psychic abilities) and developed into their modern Cimmerian-style Celts."

That's kind of what happened IMC/my Wilderlands, which keeps a version of the WoHF background, but there the bright red people. called the Altan, were a high tech 'Philosopher'* race with a Markab connection, who would have interbred - or been interbred, following their defeat & enslavement by the Dragon Empire - with primitive humans such as proto-Tharbrians. More recent Thabrian Wild Man wanderings from the north & west, combined with Alryan colonisation, has created further admixture in Barbarian Altanis, with enclaves of largely pure-blood Tharbrian & Alryan.

*Worst kind of demons! :lol:

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:24 pm

S'mon wrote:For appropriate Ruins of the Roglaras you could do a lot worse than throwing in a bunch of Dyson Logos' work, either from his website or from Dyson's Delves I & II. I do this for Barbarian Altanis but I think the tone, with eg a lot of ruined manor houses & their subterranean dungeons beneath, fits even better in the CSIO/Roglaras area. The Valley of the Red Apes though I put further south, near the Crimson Serpent Jungle in Oricha.
I just checked out Dyson Logos blog and the Dyson’s Delves Books page says they are "based on classic toolbox products such as Fifty Starbases by Judges Guild".

I guess that, if people are shooting for a certain style of game (old school, new school, whatever) being able to access the work of a number of creators who were inspired by similar sources gives them a lot more options to buy for their game. :)

maff
Goblin

Post by maff » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:41 pm

When I ran the Wilderlands, all barbarians were cimmerian unless obviously Viking :-)

JamesMishler
Ogre

Post by JamesMishler » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:26 pm

maff wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:41 pm
When I ran the Wilderlands, all barbarians were cimmerian unless obviously Viking :-)
Always a good policy!

Return to “Wilderlands”