Moons over the Wilderlands

From the Court of the World Emperor to the Barbarian Tribelands of Altanis. Explore Bob Bledsaw's Wilderlands under the shadow of the Invincible Overlord...
ZardokhasSpoken
Orc

Moons over the Wilderlands

Post by ZardokhasSpoken » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:59 pm

Is there any official canon on how many moons there are above the Wilderlands? In 'Under the Sky King's Light', a series of stories appearing in the Judges Guild Journal (iirc), stated there were two. James Mishler has three in his Wilderlands campaign. Anyone know if there is something 'official'? Please include reference to original documents of you know. Thanks!

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Re: Moons over the Wilderlands

Post by ripvanwormer » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:13 am

The Necromancer Games stuff almost always refers to the moon as singular, except in the Wilderlands of High Fantasy Campaign Setting, page 16, where it refers to "moons" as plural but doesn't state how many there are.

James Mishler's The World of the Wilderlands of High Adventure describes three moons.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:16 am

ZardokhasSpoken wrote:Is there any official canon on how many moons there are above the Wilderlands? In 'Under the Sky King's Light', a series of stories appearing in the Judges Guild Journal (iirc), stated there were two. James Mishler has three in his Wilderlands campaign. Anyone know if there is something 'official'? Please include reference to original documents of you know. Thanks!
I've not heard of "Under the Sky King's Light" before. Does that series of stories suggest that the "Sky King" is the name of one of the moons? (That would be a pretty cool name for a moon.)

Why wouldn't Judges Guild Journal be "official"? Is it a fanzine?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

ZardokhasSpoken
Orc

Post by ZardokhasSpoken » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:26 pm

The names of the moons in Under The Sky King's Light were Howla and Vanis. Howla is a larger yellow moon, Vanis is a smaller red moon. The stories were in the Dungeoneer, my mistake, and as such are not official canon. But this is what I use for my campaign. I am currently working on filling in all the gaps in the Gods of the Wilderlands, and having something official would be nice. If not, then I will use the two moons, as I have already created a calendar with their cycles. UTSKL is a good read, you should check them out!

ZardokhasSpoken
Orc

Post by ZardokhasSpoken » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:34 pm

Oh, I guess I didn't answer your questions fully. Judges Guild Journal and Dungeoneer were like Dragon magazine. They did not support any one game system or world. Just like the ficition stories in Dragon, the ones in Judges Guild products were not official canon in any way. Now Pegasus magazine by Judges Guild supported JG's Wilderlands, and many, but not all, of the articles therein were Wilderlands specific. If you do not have the JG magazines, you should get them. I have gotten more mileage out of the JG magazines than I have gotten out of the first 250 Dragon magazine issues. Amazing gems in every issue. I cannot recommend them enough. Check with Badmike over at www.dragonsfoot.org he had bundles of the magazines for sale (in original shrink) for a very fair price. Check the classifieds, he just posted an updated list of items he has for sale.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:26 am

ZardokhasSpoken wrote:The names of the moons in Under The Sky King's Light were Howla and Vanis. Howla is a larger yellow moon, Vanis is a smaller red moon. The stories were in the Dungeoneer, my mistake, and as such are not official canon. But this is what I use for my campaign. I am currently working on filling in all the gaps in the Gods of the Wilderlands, and having something official would be nice. If not, then I will use the two moons, as I have already created a calendar with their cycles. UTSKL is a good read, you should check them out!
Thanks for the recommendation.

Would you be willing to share the calendar you created?
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:40 am

ZardokhasSpoken wrote:Check with Badmike over at http://www.dragonsfoot.org he had bundles of the magazines for sale (in original shrink) for a very fair price. Check the classifieds, he just posted an updated list of items he has for sale.
This topic, right?: D&D 1E 2E 3E 4E 5E 100's of Adventures, Rulebooks, Mags.

Badmike3 sure has a lot of stuff up.

He doesn't have all the issues of Dungeoneer. Which issue (or issues) have the details of Vanis and Howla?

ZardokhasSpoken
Orc

Post by ZardokhasSpoken » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:23 pm

Sorry for the delay, I will answer your questions in order. Yes, I will pm you a link to my calendar when I get a chance. Yes, that is the Badmike. Great guy to do business with. When I get home, I will let you know which mags have the articles. I have gotten more use out of the Dungeoneer, JG Journals, and Pegasus than I have out of Dragon mag. I highly recommend buying all of them.

ZardokhasSpoken
Orc

Post by ZardokhasSpoken » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:47 pm

Under the Sky King's Light, by Bill Paley, ran from issue 8 to issue 16 of the Dungeoneer. Here is a link to my JG calendar, showing the phases of the two moons Howla and Vanis. The phases 'reset' at the beginning of every year, as I could not find a cycle that would work without altering the calendar every year. A minor detail that has never bothered my players nor I.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/evoslidg7qhha ... r.pdf?dl=0

ZardokhasSpoken
Orc

Post by ZardokhasSpoken » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:55 pm

James Mishler's fantastic contributions via his Adventure Games Journal states there are three moons. I am currently rereading his works to include in my Gods of the Wilderlands project. The moons are Gorm, Luna, and Ioun. Being approved directly by JG this must be considered canon. I plan to create a new calendar with the phases of the three moons.

JamesMishler
Ogre

Post by JamesMishler » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:33 pm

ZardokhasSpoken wrote:James Mishler's fantastic contributions via his Adventure Games Journal states there are three moons. I am currently rereading his works to include in my Gods of the Wilderlands project. The moons are Gorm, Luna, and Ioun. Being approved directly by JG this must be considered canon. I plan to create a new calendar with the phases of the three moons.
First, thank you kindly for the compliment. I'm just glad folks like my work, and hope it provides inspiration.

Second, the three moons were canon for the Wilderlands of High Adventure, my variant of the Wilderlands of High Fantasy.

WoHA differs in numerous ways from WoHF, the moons being one of them.

I never actually got around with speaking with Bob about the moons, IIRC. I was always more interested in talking with him about the rest of the Wilderlands world, which is where the Rhadamanthia continental map came from.

The three moons were always my moons, never Bob's.

Luna is Luna, though not our world's Luna; it has different craters, plains, seas, etc. But it is silvery-white, causes the tides, transforms lycanthropes, etc.

Gorm is an oddity; it was inspired by all those greenish-blue moons in various fantasy illustrations; obviously there must be life up there, right? Well, in the WoHA, Gorm was an outpost of the Markabs; life there is mostly inimical to humans and the like, and due to the vicious nature of life there, humanity has been reduced to cave-man status, at best. Imagine a Lovecraftian wilderness also populated by demons, served by cave-men, and that's Gorm.

Ioun is named after Ioun stones; or rather, the Ioun stones that fall to Gaea are named after the moon. Some of them are bits of the moon, others are bits that are torn from the planetary ring, when Ioun hits it at apogee. Ioun and the planetary ring are potent with magicum and other magical elements that, having absorbed cosmic radiation, end up with strange and wondrous powers on Gaea. Also, some of the stones are magical "eggs" that give birth to aberrations, monstrosities, and the like, a source for ever-more strange and wondrous and terrible monsters on Gaea.

The planetary ring of the WoHA takes the place of the circumstellar ring of the WoHF. That change came from simply not reading for comprehension 35-some years ago when I first started using the City-State! And by the time I noticed it was a ring around the star, not the planet, well, I'd already developed it very differently...

So the upshot is: the three moons are not canon as far as the WoHF are concerned, though they are canonical for the WoHA. How you use them or don't in your own campaign is entirely up to you!

ZardokhasSpoken
Orc

Post by ZardokhasSpoken » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:36 pm

Thank you Mr. Mishler for the clarification. Your contributions to the Wilderlands in general are some of my favorite and most inspirational. I plan to do a calendar depicting the three moons and their phases which I will be most honored to share with you. Also, after starting to add your works to my Gods of the Wilderlands project, I am intrigued at the many names of deities I have not encountered before. I hope we can have a discussion about them sometime. Until then, happy gaming!

Chris107
Hobgoblin

Post by Chris107 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:40 am

Inspirational stuff indeed. Thanks for posting.

S'mon
Orc

Post by S'mon » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:27 am

I think I'm sticking with one moon for my Wilderlands, though of course there may be life on other planets of the system if anyone ever goes there. I do have an abandoned Markab base station, ANU, still in orbit around the planet, which is potentially visible as a moving point of light from the surface.

From a very old holocrystal recovered by some adventurers in Barbarian Altanis, perhaps dating from the "War of the Gods & Philosophers":

"Mr President, this is Sky Marshall Lamal. Warforged Assault Team Alpha report they now have full control of the Markab Battlestation ANU. All active Bioforms eliminated. They believe nothing encountered was a true Markab Entity. They have activated the Cyst Launchers, and programmed them to target every major city of the Dragon Empire.
Operation Starfall is ready to initiate on the next orbit, sir.
On your command."

Chris107
Hobgoblin

Post by Chris107 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:42 am

Hi Simon,
Wasn’t that quite early on? During the hunt for Calthalax maybe or Clear Meadows? It’s ringing bells :)

S'mon
Orc

Post by S'mon » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:37 pm

Chris107 wrote:Hi Simon,
Wasn’t that quite early on? During the hunt for Calthalax maybe or Clear Meadows? It’s ringing bells :)
Yeah, it was during the Liberation of the Demon Slayer/Clear Meadows adventure, based loosely off the adventure by Venger Satanis. Venger's egg-hatching alien Verdant-Meadows-ravishing demon thingies became a Markab bioweapon IMC. I don't think I changed very much! :lol:

Return to “Wilderlands”