[5e][Wilderlands] Dwarves of the Roglaras

From the Court of the World Emperor to the Barbarian Tribelands of Altanis. Explore Bob Bledsaw's Wilderlands under the shadow of the Invincible Overlord...
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[5e][Wilderlands] Dwarves of the Roglaras

Post by Big Mac » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:11 pm

James Mishler has a new Wilderlands campaign (more details in that topic) but he just posted a blog entry called Dwarves of the Roglaras which is so useful (for anyone wanting to play Wilderlands with 5e rules) that I thought I'd break it out into it's own topic. There are stats for four types of dwarf over there:
  • Kazadaran Mountain Dwarves,
  • Kazadrach City Dwarves,
  • Kazadrax Elixer Dwarves and
  • Kazadurul Hill Dwarves.
Go take a look and keep an eye on his blog, as he may be building additional information. Maybe he will even release a 5e Wilderlands supplement eventually. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

S'mon
Orc

Re: [5e][Wilderlands] Dwarves of the Roglaras

Post by S'mon » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:09 pm

Does he have any Kazadurgar? My Sunday players just massacred a bunch! :lol:

JamesMishler
Ogre

Post by JamesMishler » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:23 am

Hah! Like my group needed Kazadrugar! When I mentioned that orcs, goblins, trolls, and the like wander the streets of the city like humans, elves, and dwarves, it was all I could do to hold them back from having an all-humanoid party! As it was, we ended up with a kobold, a goblin, a fallen aasimar, a city dwarf, and a faerie elf. Yeah, the faerie elf sticks out like a sore thumb... literally, when she uses her "Light unto the Darkness" ability!

Definitely a grim and gritty group: monk, ranger, rogue, bard, and sorcerer.

If I'd allowed dark dwarves, dark elves, and dark halflings, we'd have been in serious trouble... :)

However, there seems to be some demand for non-player racial details. Once I get around to finishing all the PC races, I might work up the major NPC races, too...

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun May 27, 2018 8:58 am

JamesMishler wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:23 am
Hah! Like my group needed Kazadrugar! When I mentioned that orcs, goblins, trolls, and the like wander the streets of the city like humans, elves, and dwarves, it was all I could do to hold them back from having an all-humanoid party! As it was, we ended up with a kobold, a goblin, a fallen aasimar, a city dwarf, and a faerie elf. Yeah, the faerie elf sticks out like a sore thumb... literally, when she uses her "Light unto the Darkness" ability!

Definitely a grim and gritty group: monk, ranger, rogue, bard, and sorcerer.

If I'd allowed dark dwarves, dark elves, and dark halflings, we'd have been in serious trouble... :)
:lol:

It does seem that some races are more attractive to certain players than others. And if you are building for your home campaign, you need to focus on what works for your group, don't you. :)

But, thanks so much for sharing what you are working on.
JamesMishler wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:23 am
However, there seems to be some demand for non-player racial details. Once I get around to finishing all the PC races, I might work up the major NPC races, too...
My Wilderlands-fu is still too weak. Where do the Kazadrugar fit into the big picture? The other dwarves all seem to be tied to specific terrain. What would these dwarves be associated with?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

JamesMishler
Ogre

Post by JamesMishler » Mon May 28, 2018 5:49 pm

The Kazadrugar are essentially the Duergar of the Wilderlands. They were tainted by Chaos long ago. Here's their description from the original material Bob and I worked up ages ago:

Kazadrugar (Deep Dwarves): Splotchy gray skin, bone white hair, pink eyes, 3'8", 120#, lumpy build, majority 50 years, life span 300 + 2d100 years, typically chaotic evil, speak Dwarven and Abyssal.

The Kazadrugar, the Deep Dwarves, shun daylight and prefer to live out their lives underground. They are an unhealthy race, and spend most of their time studying dark magics, seeking ways to conquer and enslave their cousins and neighbors. Deep dwarves prefer to live alone, even away from their kinfolk, as they do not trust each other. They keep goblin and troll slaves to do most of their labor, leaving them more time to study. Deep dwarf males have a difficult enough time growing any hair let alone beards. Their women (the few there are) are typically bald, or possess but a few wispy strands of hair on their heads. Deep dwarves rarely wear armor, as it interferes with their magic, and are usually only armed with a dagger (often poisoned). Deep dwarves do not revere the gods, as they deal on an almost daily basis with the Demon Kings.

They are the Wilderlands analogue of the Svartalfar (magic-using dwarves) and Modrigswerg of Mystara. While there are rune-smiths among the other dwarves, the greatest amongst those peoples would be counted a mere apprentice by the Kazadrugar. But every item they forge has a terrible cost...

Return to “Wilderlands”