Wilderlands Maps

From the Court of the World Emperor to the Barbarian Tribelands of Altanis. Explore Bob Bledsaw's Wilderlands under the shadow of the Invincible Overlord...
Azaghal
Green Dragon

Re: Wilderlands Maps

Post by Azaghal » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:30 pm

Dave, really what you do is most of what a cartographer ends up doing. I took a couple of cartography classes about 20 years ago and really primarily what I would end up doing to hand make a map is take the sketches and measurements that have been taken, plot them and go from there. It`s not all that dificult to do by hand, I have no clue how it would work using CC or something.
Sean "Azaghal" Pennington

Dave L
Storm Giant

Post by Dave L » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:38 am

Well, not quite 5 years on, there is an update! :o

After all the disarray of the past few years, family upsets, closing the business, moving house twice, damaging my arm, wrist and shoulder with too much heavy lifting and dismantling of shop units, so I could hardly type for a while - I have finally got around to salvaging all of my map files from various memory sticks and harddrives in order to properly back them up on my current computer and Dropbox.

PNG's of all the maps are on my flickr site, but I can't make any changes without the original files. A lot of hours went into them, and I wanted to make sure they didn't get lost.

Anyway, In the course of sorting them out it reminded me that I never finished the last 3 Wilderlands maps, 16-18. Well, when I say finished ... none of the maps have text labels (yet), but still it offended my sense of completeness not to have done the landscape maps for the last 3.

Part of the problem was not having a handle on the extent of the tundra in Map 16 - Ament Tundra.

Whilst looking through my pdf of The World of the Wilderlands of High Adventure yesterday, I realised that it had a description of each of the "original" Wilderlands regions - which gives approximate values for the extent of the tundra! :)

So ... map 16 is now done and up on flickr. and work is underway on map 17. I don't know if anyone will still be interested in these, but it has been a niggle for me over the past few years that I started a project that was left unfinished.

I'm not promising that I will then go back and add text labels to all 18 maps, but ... I might.
If nothing else takes priority. :)

I'm hoping that this link to a Dropbox folder will let anyone be able to see and download all the full-sized png's without needing to visit flickr. Wilderlands Maps
If Dropbox tries to get you to sign up just hit the X to close the box, and it should go to the folder.
Let me know if you have any problems.

It's good to be back making maps, even if no-one looks at them! :)

Baron
Ogre

Post by Baron » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:59 am

I will gladly look at them! On my phone now, but will check via pc tomorrow!

Dave L
Storm Giant

Post by Dave L » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:04 pm

Map number 17, Ghinor Highlands, is now up on Dropbox and flickr. :)

Baron
Ogre

Post by Baron » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:09 pm

Cool, they're beautiful! Thanks!

Dave L
Storm Giant

Post by Dave L » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:37 pm

And finally, map number 18, Southern Reaches, is uploaded.

Finally, after years of waiting, stage 1 is complete. Phew! :)

Dave L
Storm Giant

Post by Dave L » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:39 pm

Stage 1 is complete?

What, you may be asking, is stage 2 then?

No? Oh well, never mind, stage 2 can now be revealed. :)
This is what I was really aiming towards all along - I have stitched all 18 maps together with slight adjustments to match up coastlines and terrain features between maps.

I present to you - The Wilderlands Campaign Map!
(Trumpet fanfare sounds, women faint, strong men burst into tears. :) )

156 hexes x 204 hexes - fancy an old-fashioned hex crawl, anyone?
Now uploaded to both flickr and Dropbox, the png is 4.12MB in size. Enjoy!

Baron
Ogre

Post by Baron » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:44 pm

Now that's awesome! Really, really nice!

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:22 pm

Very nice. These look great!
Dave L wrote:No? Oh well, never mind, stage 2 can now be revealed. :)
This is what I was really aiming towards all along - I have stitched all 18 maps together with slight adjustments to match up coastlines and terrain features between maps.

I present to you - The Wilderlands Campaign Map!
(Trumpet fanfare sounds, women faint, strong men burst into tears. :) )
Wow. I can see this downloading in lines, as there is so much detail! :cool:
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis
Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Post by BlackBat242 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:00 am

Yep - downloaded all of 4 of those (I had all of the earlier ones already).
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode

Dave L
Storm Giant

Post by Dave L » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:15 pm

Well, Stage 3 in now underway - putting the labels on all 18 maps, as well as the combined map.

However, while working on the labels I finally managed to get my hands on a copy of Illustrator CS2 - yes, I know it's years old, but I finally decided it was time to learn how to make vector maps, with a little (a lot of) help from Thorf's mapping files.

After a week of sweat, frustration, and almost giving up, I have something that I think is worth showing.

So, I have a request. Please look at the two maps I have posted here on Dropbox and tell me what you think.

One is my old Gimp map with labels - zoom in and you can see the pixels and watch the text blur.
The other is my new Illustrator map - I have deliberately tried to copy the style I have used in the other map, the difference being that if you zoom in everything should remain crystal clear.

Feedback please. :)

Baron
Ogre

Post by Baron » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:03 pm

They look similar, but for me, the second one looks better on my screen. The one labelled "Wilderlands Map 1.png." It's got a black border with some identifying text.

OTOH, zooming in a la vector maps is awesome, so if in a blind taste-test I've inadvertently picked the non-vector one, well I'd probably find a vector-based map to be the best version going forward.

Not much help, am I?

Dave L
Storm Giant

Post by Dave L » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:30 pm

No, that's very helpful - the one you picked is the vector map. :)

The border matches the border of the original map, although the "one inch = eleven miles" will only work if you print it at the same size as the original, as I had to scale the map to fit Thorf's hex size.

I left it in for nostalgia's sake though, for anyone who actually has the original maps.
Yeah, I know, what can I say? I'm a big softy at heart. :)

Thank you for your comments - they are what I had hoped to hear.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:33 pm

This stuff is awesome!

I wish I knew Wilderlands a bit better, so I could appreciate all the small details you have put in.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Return to “Wilderlands”