Wilderlands Maps

From the Court of the World Emperor to the Barbarian Tribelands of Altanis. Explore Bob Bledsaw's Wilderlands under the shadow of the Invincible Overlord...

Re: Wilderlands Maps

Postby Chimpman » Sun May 02, 2010 4:24 pm

Dave L wrote:So another setting would be secondary, at least until the WL maps were finished. Having said all that, I'd love the challenge. Any ideas?

Hahaha... be careful what you ask BigMac. He's libel to say "Spelljammer" which will then open you up to doing every map in existence... :P
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
User avatar
Chimpman
Hadozee
 
Posts: 7524
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 6:52 pm
Location: USA, California

Re: Wilderlands Maps

Postby Dave L » Sun May 02, 2010 4:54 pm

Chimpman wrote:
Dave L wrote:So another setting would be secondary, at least until the WL maps were finished. Having said all that, I'd love the challenge. Any ideas?

Hahaha... be careful what you ask BigMac. He's libel to say "Spelljammer" which will then open you up to doing every map in existence... :P

I already have my answer for that one - no! :D
User avatar
Dave L
Storm Giant
 
Posts: 1591
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:58 pm
Location: Plymouth, England

Re: Wilderlands Maps

Postby Dave L » Sat May 15, 2010 1:48 pm

Sorry the updates have slowed a bit, things have been a bit busy at work, and I've spent some time actually PLAYING in a campaign!

The maps are still a high priority though, and the Wilderlands map 08 is now up on flickr, with and without hex numbers.

You can view all the Wilderlands maps so far here.

Regarding the "any other setting" question - does anyone know if any hex maps for Eberron have been done?

Image
User avatar
Dave L
Storm Giant
 
Posts: 1591
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:58 pm
Location: Plymouth, England

Re: Wilderlands Maps

Postby Chimpman » Sat May 15, 2010 8:12 pm

I've never seen hex maps for Eberron. I do think your style of maps would work well for that setting however.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
User avatar
Chimpman
Hadozee
 
Posts: 7524
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 6:52 pm
Location: USA, California

Re: Wilderlands Maps

Postby Dave L » Sat May 15, 2010 8:29 pm

Chimpman wrote:I've never seen hex maps for Eberron. I do think your style of maps would work well for that setting however.

I think I might have a look at how best to go about it, do some thinking about scales and such.
Given that I've signed up to Blackaeon's exalted game, it gives me a bit of an incentive. :)

Meanwhile, the Wilderlands map 9 - Ebony Coast, is now on flickr.
As you can see, there's a lot of water on this one, so it didn't take a terrific amount of time to do.

Image
User avatar
Dave L
Storm Giant
 
Posts: 1591
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:58 pm
Location: Plymouth, England

Re: Wilderlands Maps

Postby Mike » Mon May 17, 2010 8:52 pm

These maps are gorgeous, much easier to read than the B&W hexmaps from Necromancer. Great job!
User avatar
Mike
Ogre
 
Posts: 212
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 2:49 pm
Location: The Sylvan Realm (Beaverton, OR)

Re: Wilderlands Maps

Postby Dave L » Mon May 17, 2010 11:07 pm

Mike wrote:These maps are gorgeous, much easier to read than the B&W hexmaps from Necromancer. Great job!

Thanks Mike.

Of course, the B&W maps have the text labels - I haven't been able to face that job yet. :)

There are also a few areas marked as moors on the B&W maps - you need to be aware that I haven't marked them on the coloured maps, they are just the default light green.

If you spot any mistakes, please let me know and I'll get them corrected.
User avatar
Dave L
Storm Giant
 
Posts: 1591
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:58 pm
Location: Plymouth, England

Re: Wilderlands Maps

Postby Dave L » Wed May 19, 2010 11:58 am

Dave L wrote:
Chimpman wrote:
Dave L wrote:So another setting would be secondary, at least until the WL maps were finished. Having said all that, I'd love the challenge. Any ideas?

Hahaha... be careful what you ask BigMac. He's libel to say "Spelljammer" which will then open you up to doing every map in existence... :P

I already have my answer for that one - no! :D

Actually, I've had a bit of a rethink on this. :)

You see, what I do is mainly copy existing maps - converting them into, well what you see in my WL, Blackmoor and Eberron maps.

Worlds that already have decent user-produced hex maps - Mystara for instance, don't need this treatment.

Worlds with no maps - need a cartographer, which I'm not (sob, sob :( )
Seriously, I'd love to be able to create a map from nothing, but I'm really a scribe - a copyist.

So, if someone had, say, hand-drawn maps they've scanned in that they want converted into hex maps, or if a setting (such as Eberron) had maps that weren't hex-based, then that's where I could come in.

I think that this would narrow down the number of possibilities, but would also make it more likely for them to get done.
I know this might be a bit out of the way in the Wilderlands forum, but if anyone has any requests or suggestions, throw them at me and I'll see what I can do.
User avatar
Dave L
Storm Giant
 
Posts: 1591
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:58 pm
Location: Plymouth, England

Re: Wilderlands Maps

Postby Big Mac » Wed May 26, 2010 11:42 am

Dave L wrote:
Big Mac wrote:This map (like your others) looks great. I don't suppose there are other campaign settings that you like?

Such as? :)

<snip>

So another setting would be secondary, at least until the WL maps were finished. Having said all that, I'd love the challenge. Any ideas?


Sp...

Chimpman wrote:
Dave L wrote:So another setting would be secondary, at least until the WL maps were finished. Having said all that, I'd love the challenge. Any ideas?

Hahaha... be careful what you ask BigMac. He's libel to say "Spelljammer" which will then open you up to doing every map in existence... :P


...ell...

Huh? Whatevery makes you think my answer to everything is "Spelljammer". I like lots of settings, like for example...

...er um. OK, its a fair cop! :roll:

Dave L wrote:
Chimpman wrote:
Dave L wrote:So another setting would be secondary, at least until the WL maps were finished. Having said all that, I'd love the challenge. Any ideas?

Hahaha... be careful what you ask BigMac. He's libel to say "Spelljammer" which will then open you up to doing every map in existence... :P

I already have my answer for that one - no! :D


:cry:

Dave L wrote:
Dave L wrote:
Chimpman wrote:
Dave L wrote:So another setting would be secondary, at least until the WL maps were finished. Having said all that, I'd love the challenge. Any ideas?

Hahaha... be careful what you ask BigMac. He's libel to say "Spelljammer" which will then open you up to doing every map in existence... :P

I already have my answer for that one - no! :D

Actually, I've had a bit of a rethink on this. :)


:D

Dave L wrote:You see, what I do is mainly copy existing maps - converting them into, well what you see in my WL, Blackmoor and Eberron maps.

Worlds that already have decent user-produced hex maps - Mystara for instance, don't need this treatment.

Worlds with no maps - need a cartographer, which I'm not (sob, sob :( )
Seriously, I'd love to be able to create a map from nothing, but I'm really a scribe - a copyist.

So, if someone had, say, hand-drawn maps they've scanned in that they want converted into hex maps, or if a setting (such as Eberron) had maps that weren't hex-based, then that's where I could come in.


There are a bunch of maps that were done for SJR4 Practical Planetology that were done really badly. The artist has drawn them into lozenge shape, and that does not map to a sphere properly. Someone over in the SJ forum was showing how badly they bend around a sphere. The polar regions need a redesign, so that the spherical view matches what the artist was intending.

I think AuldDragon was investigating this, but I can't find the thread.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
 
Posts: 21309
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Location: London UK

Re: Wilderlands Maps

Postby Big Mac » Wed May 26, 2010 11:43 am

Dave L wrote:
Chimpman wrote:I've never seen hex maps for Eberron. I do think your style of maps would work well for that setting however.

I think I might have a look at how best to go about it, do some thinking about scales and such.


I'm a firm believer that new school stuff can learn from old school stuff (and vice versa). So classic maps for Eberron would be really useful to some people. They would certainly help anyone wanting to do a sandbox campaign on Eberron. And they might help anyone who wants to use the Eberron campaign setting with classic rules.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
 
Posts: 21309
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Location: London UK

Re: Wilderlands Maps

Postby Dave L » Wed May 26, 2010 12:23 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Dave L wrote:I'm a firm believer that new school stuff can learn from old school stuff (and vice versa). So classic maps for Eberron would be really useful to some people. They would certainly help anyone wanting to do a sandbox campaign on Eberron. And they might help anyone who wants to use the Eberron campaign setting with classic rules.

Check the Eberron forum - Khorvaire map finished and posted. :)

I'll need to wait until I'm home from work before I can search through the SJ forum for the maps you mentioned, but I hope to have a couple of hours free tonight, so we'll see what can be done.
User avatar
Dave L
Storm Giant
 
Posts: 1591
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:58 pm
Location: Plymouth, England

Re: Wilderlands Maps

Postby Chimpman » Wed May 26, 2010 3:39 pm

Big Mac wrote:I think AuldDragon was investigating this, but I can't find the thread.

Right, I remember this as well. I'll see if I can dig it up. He had a nice map of one of the flatworlds, but I can't recall it's name ATM.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
User avatar
Chimpman
Hadozee
 
Posts: 7524
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 6:52 pm
Location: USA, California

Re: Wilderlands Maps

Postby Big Mac » Sat May 29, 2010 8:59 pm

Chimpman wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I think AuldDragon was investigating this, but I can't find the thread.

Right, I remember this as well. I'll see if I can dig it up. He had a nice map of one of the flatworlds, but I can't recall it's name ATM.


That world was Plata. It is the only world that doesn't have a distortion on its map.

Anyway, this is all off topic. People interested in non-Wilderlands maps should look over at:

I'll look forwards to seeing more Wilderlands maps here.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
 
Posts: 21309
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Location: London UK

Re: Wilderlands Maps

Postby Dave L » Mon May 31, 2010 10:03 am

Big Mac wrote:I'll look forwards to seeing more Wilderlands maps here.

Just to let everyone know, maps 10, 11 and 12 are now uploaded here, both with hex numbers and without.
User avatar
Dave L
Storm Giant
 
Posts: 1591
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:58 pm
Location: Plymouth, England

Re: Wilderlands Maps

Postby Baron » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:07 pm

Hi Dave,

I love your Wilderlands maps, but I've only been able to find links to two of them in high res on 4shared. The ones on flickr are too difficult for my bad eyes. I signed up for an account on 4shared, searched for WL and JG Map, and under your name, but couldn't find any more of your maps there to download. Do you know a way to post links to the lot of JG maps you've posted in png on 4shared?

Thanks sir!
User avatar
Baron
Bugbear
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:02 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Wilderlands Maps

Postby Dave L » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:55 pm

Baron wrote:Hi Dave,

I love your Wilderlands maps, but I've only been able to find links to two of them in high res on 4shared. The ones on flickr are too difficult for my bad eyes. I signed up for an account on 4shared, searched for WL and JG Map, and under your name, but couldn't find any more of your maps there to download. Do you know a way to post links to the lot of JG maps you've posted in png on 4shared?

Thanks sir!

Hi Baron,

The reason you only found a few of the WL maps on 4shared is that when I opened my flickr account I stopped loading them to 4shared.

The full-sized maps are available through flickr - I think your problem could be with the small flickr interface.

If you click on any of the maps to view them, you get a low res picture with a menu bar along the top. The 5th menu item is a magnifying glass with the label "All sizes".

Click on that and you get a bigger map, along with options to view square, thumbnail, small, medium, large and original.

Click on original and it loads a full-sized map, along with the option to download it.
This will give you the exact same maps that I loaded to 4shared.

Give it a try - if there's a problem let me know, and I'll get the whole lot loaded onto 4shared for you.

And I'm glad you like them! :)

Dave
User avatar
Dave L
Storm Giant
 
Posts: 1591
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:58 pm
Location: Plymouth, England

Re: Wilderlands Maps

Postby Baron » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:53 pm

Ah! I had downloaded the "large" size before. Didn't see that "original" was bigger than "large!" Thanks so much, busily downloading now...
User avatar
Baron
Bugbear
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:02 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Wilderlands Maps

Postby Big Mac » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:54 pm

Dave L wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I'll look forwards to seeing more Wilderlands maps here.

Just to let everyone know, maps 10, 11 and 12 are now uploaded here, both with hex numbers and without.


Looking great, Dave, although I'm a bit disappointed that you didn't upload them in the right order to make the thumbnails join and form a bigger map! :P
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
 
Posts: 21309
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Location: London UK

Re: Wilderlands Maps

Postby Big Mac » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:58 pm

Baron wrote:Ah! I had downloaded the "large" size before. Didn't see that "original" was bigger than "large!" Thanks so much, busily downloading now...


Well, your problem made you de-lurk, so welcome to The Piazza, Baron. ;)

I've had the same problem with Flickr images, in the past. I suspect a lot of people do it.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
 
Posts: 21309
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Location: London UK

Re: Wilderlands Maps

Postby Baron » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:17 am

Thanks for the welcome! Not de-lurking, as such. I just discovered the Piazza referenced on another site, and joined post-haste! I've actually been fairly active on various gaming boards over the years, but this one covers so many of my favorites that I'm really excited! Lots of good reading material here.

If you're interested, you can find my contribution to internet gaming goodness here:
http://lost.spelljammer.org/DrawingBoar ... itanspace/

Baron
User avatar
Baron
Bugbear
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:02 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Wilderlands Maps

Postby Dave L » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:24 am

Big Mac wrote:
Dave L wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I'll look forwards to seeing more Wilderlands maps here.

Just to let everyone know, maps 10, 11 and 12 are now uploaded here, both with hex numbers and without.


Looking great, Dave, although I'm a bit disappointed that you didn't upload them in the right order to make the thumbnails join and form a bigger map! :P

Hehe, well, I managed to get a few of them to do that, but with loading two versions of each map it mucked the pattern up. :)
User avatar
Dave L
Storm Giant
 
Posts: 1591
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:58 pm
Location: Plymouth, England

Re: Wilderlands Maps

Postby Big Mac » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:22 am

Baron wrote:Thanks for the welcome! Not de-lurking, as such. I just discovered the Piazza referenced on another site, and joined post-haste! I've actually been fairly active on various gaming boards over the years, but this one covers so many of my favorites that I'm really excited! Lots of good reading material here.


The great thing about The Piazza, is that if you like a campaign setting that does not have a forum, you can start up a thread in Other Worlds and see how things go. I've seen a few conversations grow into new forums from a single post.

Baron wrote:If you're interested, you can find my contribution to internet gaming goodness here:
http://lost.spelljammer.org/DrawingBoar ... itanspace/


Ah! Spelljammer, Mystara, Blackmoor and Wilderlands. I'm sure that a few people will enjoy talking to you. 8-) :D :ugeek: :mrgreen: :geek:
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
 
Posts: 21309
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Location: London UK

Re: Wilderlands Maps

Postby Dave L » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:29 pm

Sorry it's been a while since the last map, other mapping projects have taken up a fair bit of time.

You can now download Wilderlands map 13 here.

As usual, it is in both numbered and un-numbered versions.

Edit: Map 14 has just been uploaded as well.
User avatar
Dave L
Storm Giant
 
Posts: 1591
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:58 pm
Location: Plymouth, England

Re: Wilderlands Maps

Postby Dave L » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:34 am

Big Mac wrote:
Dave L wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I'll look forwards to seeing more Wilderlands maps here.

Just to let everyone know, maps 10, 11 and 12 are now uploaded here, both with hex numbers and without.


Looking great, Dave, although I'm a bit disappointed that you didn't upload them in the right order to make the thumbnails join and form a bigger map! :P

Just for you, Big Mac - see here.

Wilderlands map 15 is now up, with and without numbers, and if you arrange them alphabetically on the flickr page, you get not one, but two pretty pictures! ;)
User avatar
Dave L
Storm Giant
 
Posts: 1591
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:58 pm
Location: Plymouth, England

Re: Wilderlands Maps

Postby Big Mac » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:01 pm

Dave L wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
Dave L wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I'll look forwards to seeing more Wilderlands maps here.

Just to let everyone know, maps 10, 11 and 12 are now uploaded here, both with hex numbers and without.


Looking great, Dave, although I'm a bit disappointed that you didn't upload them in the right order to make the thumbnails join and form a bigger map! :P

Just for you, Big Mac - see here.


:shock:

Wow!

Impressive! Hope that was not a lot of work.

Dave L wrote:Wilderlands map 15 is now up, with and without numbers, and if you arrange them alphabetically on the flickr page, you get not one, but two pretty pictures! ;)


If I ever do something like this, I'll try to do the same thing.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
 
Posts: 21309
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Location: London UK

PreviousNext

Return to Wilderlands

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests