Old JG products worth searching for?

From the Court of the World Emperor to the Barbarian Tribelands of Altanis. Explore Bob Bledsaw's Wilderlands under the shadow of the Invincible Overlord...

Old JG products worth searching for?

Postby Havard » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:14 pm

Which old JG products linkted to the Wilderlands are worth looking out for?

Got a top 10 list?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Old JG products worth searching for?

Postby Plaag » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:54 pm

Sure limit it to 10..I'll list it my way :)

Anything by Jaquays
Any Wilderlands Series
Any Wilderness Series
Any of the City States
Tegel Manor
Under the Storm Giants Castle (I like it, others really don't)
Modron
Lost Man's Trail
First Fantasy Campaign
GenCon IX Dungeon

ShaneG.
I reject your reality and substitute my own
Plaag
Troll

Postby Havard » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:19 am

Thanks!

Its interesting that some of the often talked about products, like Tegel Manor, are further down on the list than I had thought.

How many City States got their own products?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Plaag » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:51 pm

Oh that list isn't in order, I'd have bumped Tegel Manor up more then. As for the City States:
#12 City State of the Invincible Overlord Playing Aid (original City State)
#62 Revised City State of the Invincible Overlord Playing Aid (1st city State Revised)
#150 City State of the World Emperor Playing Aid (2nd city State)
#1200 City State of Tarantis (3rd city State)

ShaneG.
Plaag
Troll

Postby Big Mac » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:00 am

Plaag wrote:Anything by Jaquays

How many of these are there? Do you have a list of them?

Plaag wrote:Lost Man's Trail

Lost Man's Trail is the one that is available on Print on Demand (and PDF) from Lulu.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Bochi » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:10 pm

The Dark Tower
Caverns of Thracia

are the two classic Jaquays dungeons, two of the best things ever done for D&D.
Bochi
Orc

Postby Big Mac » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:48 pm

Bochi wrote:The Dark Tower
Caverns of Thracia

are the two classic Jaquays dungeons, two of the best things ever done for D&D.

I think that these got remade for 3rd Edition (d20 System). Are the remakes true to the original?
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Sir Wulf » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:23 pm

The D20 remakes of Dark Tower and Caverns of Thracia were written with a lot of respect for the originals. There are a fair number of changes: Fights that work well in AD&D could turn into slaughters with 3rd Edition rules.

Jaquays also wrote the excellent Book of Treasure Maps. While I don't care for everything in there, the great outweighs the bad.
Sir Wulf
Goblin

Postby Big Mac » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:08 pm

Thanks for the advice Sir Wulf.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Plaag » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:43 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Plaag wrote:Anything by Jaquays

How many of these are there? Do you have a list of them?

Book of Treasure Maps
Caverns of Thracia
Dark Tower
Character Codex
Unknown Gods
Hellpits of Nightfang
various Dungeoneer issues
and I know I'm probably missing others

ShaneG.
Plaag
Troll

Postby Havard » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:47 pm

Thanks!
I will be keeping my eyes open for these :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby gurpsgm » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:43 pm

A good start wold be just the maps. Glorious! But the originals are quite expensive nowadays... and the old multi-part City State campaign books are even worse. However, I'm kinda partial to the Tarantis book. I'd say a close second would be the City State of the World Emperor. Boatloads of material in the three booklets. Then shoot for the rest of the WIlderlands books. Oldies but goodies.

Bruce
"There -is- hope for the future.
When the world is ready for a new and better life...
all this will someday come to pass.
In God's good Time."
gurpsgm
Goblin

Postby Big Mac » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:36 pm

gurpsgm wrote:A good start wold be just the maps. Glorious! But the originals are quite expensive nowadays... and the old multi-part City State campaign books are even worse. However, I'm kinda partial to the Tarantis book. I'd say a close second would be the City State of the World Emperor. Boatloads of material in the three booklets. Then shoot for the rest of the WIlderlands books. Oldies but goodies.

I am a big fan of old stuff being put onto Print on Demand.

I am not a collector, and really dislike the idea of the market-forces of collecting pushing up the price of certain things beyond the ability of people to afford them. And there is no logic to collecting prices as some really good quality, but over-produced items are cheap, while some poor-quality items are really expensive.

I think the PoD industry for maps, needs a bit of work, as I've heard some people complaining about buying maps that were distored. A lot of old publishers used to use bespoke sizes for maps, so I think that people would need to be very careful to avoid selling maps that are on new papersizes and stretched. But once that sort of thing is sorted out, it would be relatively easy to scan in old maps, clean them up and make them available for fans to buy.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Falconer » Fri May 01, 2015 2:50 am

Havard wrote:Which old JG products linked to the Wilderlands are worth looking out for?

Got a top 10 list?

1. City State of the Invincible Overlord
2. Ready Ref Sheets
3. Tegel Manor
4. Wilderlands of High Fantasy
5. Citadel of Fire
6. Dungeoneer Compendium
7. Dark Tower
8. Caverns of Thracia
9. Verbosh
10. Book of Treasure Maps I

I left off The First Fantasy Campaign because I’m pretty sure you already have it! And it’s hard to think of as a Wilderlands product even though it has an official tie. #6-9 don’t have official ties, but perversely they are hard NOT to think of as fitting in well with the rest.
Falconer
Troll

Postby Havard » Fri May 01, 2015 2:25 pm

Falconer wrote:
Havard wrote:Which old JG products linked to the Wilderlands are worth looking out for?

Got a top 10 list?

1. City State of the Invincible Overlord
2. Ready Ref Sheets
3. Tegel Manor
4. Wilderlands of High Fantasy
5. Citadel of Fire
6. Dungeoneer Compendium
7. Dark Tower
8. Caverns of Thracia
9. Verbosh
10. Book of Treasure Maps I

I left off The First Fantasy Campaign because I’m pretty sure you already have it! And it’s hard to think of as a Wilderlands product even though it has an official tie. #6-9 don’t have official ties, but perversely they are hard NOT to think of as fitting in well with the rest.

Great list! Yep I definitely have my FFC. This list gives me alot of material to look for.

Are products like Ready Ref Sheets and the Dungeoneer Compendium going to be useful if you are going to run it with a different edition than OD&D or are they mainly edition specific?

What about Book of Treasure maps? Is it just a collection of maps, or more? :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Falconer » Sat May 02, 2015 3:54 pm

Havard wrote:Are products like Ready Ref Sheets and the Dungeoneer Compendium going to be useful if you are going to run it with a different edition than OD&D or are they mainly edition specific?

What about Book of Treasure maps? Is it just a collection of maps, or more? :)

Ready Ref Sheets is mainly tools and rules additions for OD&D judges. I should think it would be very cheap and easy to acquire, so, if you’re interested in seeing how D&D was played Judges Guild style, it might be worth a look, but it’s not perhaps super-“useful.” It’s stuff compiled from other products, mainly, so if you are running one of those products (i.e., CSIO or Tegel or whatever), then it will have what you need right there in the module. However, some good working knowledge of OD&D and Supplements I and III will probably be very useful in creating a Wilderlands feel. Supplements IV will be your go-to gods/religions book.

Dungeoneer Compendium has a lot of neat stuff, but it’s most famous for its 5 modules, of which 3 are by Jaquays (including the very excellent “Night of the Walking Wet”) and 1 by Ward. Book of Treasure Maps has 5 ready-to-run modules, each of which is excellent for a session on the fly. Highly recommended!
Falconer
Troll

Postby Big Mac » Sun May 03, 2015 5:10 pm

Falconer wrote:Ready Ref Sheets is mainly tools and rules additions for OD&D judges. I should think it would be very cheap and easy to acquire, so, if you’re interested in seeing how D&D was played Judges Guild style, it might be worth a look, but it’s not perhaps super-“useful.” It’s stuff compiled from other products, mainly, so if you are running one of those products (i.e., CSIO or Tegel or whatever), then it will have what you need right there in the module. However, some good working knowledge of OD&D and Supplements I and III will probably be very useful in creating a Wilderlands feel. Supplements IV will be your go-to gods/religions book.

The Ready Ref Sheets sound a bit similar to what often comes on Dungeon Master's Screens (for other settings). Would that be an accurate comparison.

Falconer wrote:Dungeoneer Compendium has a lot of neat stuff, but it’s most famous for its 5 modules, of which 3 are by Jaquays (including the very excellent “Night of the Walking Wet”) and 1 by Ward. Book of Treasure Maps has 5 ready-to-run modules, each of which is excellent for a session on the fly. Highly recommended!

Would I be right in assuming this is a bunch of stuff raided from the magaine?

I hear very good things about the writing of Jennell Jaquays. I really like her art, but it would be good to buy one of her adventures at some point.
Last edited by Big Mac on Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby tetramorph » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:28 am

Big Mac, yes, the Ready Ref Sheets are a kind of compendium and mash up of all sorts of stuff offered from their magazine and from their various setting modules.

But it is really just fantastic. I don't know any other way to describe it.

It is packed tight as crazy with like 9 point font from a typewriter using courrier font. When you read it, it just feels like you got into a time machine right back to the late 70's.

So there is this innocent freshness about it. They will come up with a dice list for a million things for what is growing on top of the ruins you just found.

A lot of it you might never use, but when you are not laughing outloud with it, or for the sheer gonzo joy of it, you are thinking: that is so awesome, I have got to figure out a way to use that!

If anything, it shows you what D&D parallel to Gygax was, and could have been. And considering that Arneson gave them the permission, and he wound up publishing through them after he was forced out of TSR, I almost consider it a glimpse into an Arnesonian "DMG." Just as wacko but inspirationally fun and free as you would expect.

And one more thing to keep in mind: when you are perusing it, remember that it is designed to help a ref manage an ongoing wargames campaign -- not a series of "adventures" for a "RPG." That is the "feel," and that is why they have included some things while not worrying at all about others.

Hope you find a copy and enjoy. (Not hard to find on the inter webs.)

If you do, let me know!
He who knows, games not. He who games, knows not. -- Lao Tzu

My web log: campaigns-playable.blogspot.com

Check out: ruinsofmurkhill.proboards.com/
tetramorph
Kobold

Postby The Dark » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:32 am

I'd love for there to be a POD version of Sea Steeds and Wave Riders. The last time I looked, the PDF of it was more expensive than the original book.
The Dark
Troll

Return to Wilderlands