City State of the Sea Kings

From the Court of the World Emperor to the Barbarian Tribelands of Altanis. Explore Bob Bledsaw's Wilderlands under the shadow of the Invincible Overlord...

City-State of the Sea Kings is here!

Postby chrisbernhardt » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:39 pm

My apologies to all the loyal fans who have been on the site here looking for information on City-State of the Sea Kings.

All I can say is, with trying to get the book finished, printed, and released, one can't be everywhere at once. However; here is the official word:

City-State of the Sea Kings is done!! It is also currently available for sale here: http://bernhardtpublishing.websiteanimal.com/

The present official release date is this years GenCon. (Anyone who cannot wait that long is welcome to purchase one via our website above, however, at this point, all orders placed now will take approximately 2 weeks for fulfillment, due to preparations for GenCon, currently under way.)

As a further reward for our fan dedication, I am also offering to sign any book purchased for free. Just let me know if and how you want the book signed at the time of purchase. (Normally, I just sign my name.)

Once again, let me thank all of you who have awaited this project for so long. It has been a labor of love for all of us, and we hope you will enjoy using the book as much as we have enjoyed creating it!

Look for additional news and updates on either the JG website or on my site above.
chrisbernhardt
Kobold

Re: City-State of the Sea Kings is here!

Postby Big Mac » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:24 pm

chrisbernhardt wrote:My apologies to all the loyal fans who have been on the site here looking for information on City-State of the Sea Kings.

All I can say is, with trying to get the book finished, printed, and released, one can't be everywhere at once.

Welcome to The PIazza, Chris!

chrisbernhardt wrote:However; here is the official word:

City-State of the Sea Kings is done!! It is also currently available for sale here: http://bernhardtpublishing.websiteanimal.com/

The present official release date is this years GenCon. (Anyone who cannot wait that long is welcome to purchase one via our website above, however, at this point, all orders placed now will take approximately 2 weeks for fulfillment, due to preparations for GenCon, currently under way.)

As a further reward for our fan dedication, I am also offering to sign any book purchased for free. Just let me know if and how you want the book signed at the time of purchase. (Normally, I just sign my name.)

The page to order City-State of the Sea Kings online is here (to save other people the search).

It doesn't actually say the size of the book, on your page. Is this a "full size" RPG product, like Necromancer Games used to publish? Or is it a smaller format (like Robert Conley's Majestic Wilderlands)? And how many pages are there in the book?

I saw someone (somewhere else) commenting on the shipping rates. Your rate to places outside of the USA is $35.00, which is almost as much as the book itself ($39.95). Most RPG companies seem to use USPS Priority Mail to the rest of the world (which is very expensive) but there are cheaper ways to get books shipped. I buy a lot of books from a US company called Thriftbooks and they are able to ship to both Canada and the UK for just $2.99 and to the rest of the world for just $4.99. I spoke to Thriftbooks and they told me they use companies that provide a combined shipping service (where packages are split up in another country and sent at local mail rates from there). That allows companies like Thriftbooks to get better deals and pass on the savings.

Do you think you might be able to investigate cheaper international shipping options after GenCon is over?

chrisbernhardt wrote:Once again, let me thank all of you who have awaited this project for so long. It has been a labor of love for all of us, and we hope you will enjoy using the book as much as we have enjoyed creating it!

Look for additional news and updates on either the JG website or on my site above.

One thing I read was that you had designed this book for different rules systems (and that the book was now systemless and therefore useable by people that play Wilderlands with various rules systems). I came to Wilderlands late and am trying to find the 3e products, although the eBay bandits seem to have pushed up the Wilderlands product prices. Did you make 3rd Edition D&D stats for some or all of the book at any point? Would you be able to release any of the removed rules stuff at any point (maybe as a Web Enhancement)? Something like that (if you had time in the future) would really add value to City-State of the Sea Kings (if you are able to do it).
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: City State of the Sea Kings

Postby Havard » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:56 pm

Hi Chris,
welcome to The Piazza :)

Could you (or someone else) provide more information about the book? Page count etc?

As Big Mac mentioned, shipping prices outside of the US do look a little steep, but it depends on what I am getting too. I'm pretty starved for new Wilderlands material so... :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Angel Tarragon » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:20 am

It is great that the Wilderlands is getting this set as a new release, but the D20 campaign boxed set is out of print? Any plans to bring it back in print or update it to a new rules set (Pathfinder, pretty please)?
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:11 am

Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Le Noir Faineant » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:59 am

What about the typos?

I saw an early draft/PDF a few years back, and it still had typos in, like, every single sentence. Did that get fixed?
Le Noir Faineant
Rafael

Postby Havard » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:58 am

Ended up ordering this one. Exchanged a few emails with Chris Bernhardt who seems like a really nice fellow. :)

This seems like it could be the best thing to happen for the Wilderlands in a long time :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Le Noir Faineant » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:59 pm

So, how is it?

As in, is it playable? :) And properly edited?
Le Noir Faineant
Rafael

Postby Big Mac » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:28 am

The price of City State of the Sea Kings has been dropped to $37.00 USD + shipping at Bernhardt Publishing.

The book is now also on sale at 44.95€ at Sphärenmeisters Spiele. I'm not sure of the shipping rates for the European version, as I don't read German.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Havard » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:13 pm

I have to say I am really happy about my copy of the City State of the Sea Kings. The book is packed with information. It is illustrated with what appears to be a combination of creative commons lisence generic art and original artwork. At times the generic art looks very generic, but it is definitely helps breaking up the text. The original art is well done too.

The fact that this is not a d20 supplement means that out of its massive 379 pages, the space is not spent on massive stat blocks, but rather background information instead. OTOH I really missed a "monsters section". The fold out map at the end is gorgeous in its full color hexes. I have to say I really miss that in alot of other products these days, so its great to see that Chris Bernhardt Publishing continues the tradition that we have come to expect from Wilderlands products.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Big Mac » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:54 am

Havard wrote:The fact that this is not a d20 supplement means that out of its massive 379 pages, the space is not spent on massive stat blocks, but rather background information instead. OTOH I really missed a "monsters section". The fold out map at the end is gorgeous in its full color hexes. I have to say I really miss that in alot of other products these days, so its great to see that Chris Bernhardt Publishing continues the tradition that we have come to expect from Wilderlands products.

Does this product naturally bolt onto one or more other "core" Judges Guild products that would provide all of the standard PC and NPC races that live in the city?

I guess that if it is a city, there is less need for monsters, than a product dealing with the wilderness. Would something like City State of the Invincible Overlord include any sort of creatures that might live in the sewers of any other Wilderlands cities?
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Previous

Return to Wilderlands