Philosophers-Their Remnants and Legacies

From the Court of the World Emperor to the Barbarian Tribelands of Altanis. Explore Bob Bledsaw's Wilderlands under the shadow of the Invincible Overlord...

Philosophers-Their Remnants and Legacies

Postby Freedom92 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:47 pm

The Philosophers were defeated in their war against the Pious but what of their creations? Were they destroyed or is their machines still in existence? Do alchemist decipher some of the ancient formulas to form new chemical compounds? Since I do love my psionics would the Philosophers study the pseudo-science of manifesting powers to combat the Pious who wielded their magics?

In my conversion notes I've placed the Elan, a race of psionic individuals who reproduce through converting others.They are nearly immortal and in search of other manifesters or those with psionic talents. I've placed this race as part of the Philosophers legacy, being the remains of them who found a way to become psionically immortal in attempt to keep their kind alive.

Would automatons and robots be a good addition to the remnants and legacies of the Philosophers? What of the remaining technology. Could it be similar to Blackmoors way of approach of technology? The people of Blackmoor discovered technology leading to their downfall after they began using the Radiance which seems to be the equivalent of Nuclear Power/Radiation, would the people of the Wilderlands encounter the same problem? Would a sealed room housing a 'Radiance' Generator be safe to enter or would it hold untold horrors created to protect the vault?

Give me your thoughts of the Philosophers remnants and legacies, what have your players ever encountered?
Freedom92
Bugbear

Re: Philosophers-Their Remnants and Legacies

Postby galliard » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:23 pm

Out of curiousity, I typed "Philosophers" into my Wilderlands pdf and got a few results. This one, about a castle known as the Fane of Miasma (City State 1206) is relevant, I think:

It is believed that the caverns beneath the Fane were tunneled out long ago by the ancient Philosophers (or perhaps earlier) and that they contain an immense store of advanced knowledge and supplies related to healing. Some of the items found beneath the Fane may include ancient “technology.”

All of the tech is related to healing, and in fact there is a large red cross painted there, which suggests this used to be a hospital.
galliard
Gnoll

Postby galliard » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:30 pm

Also, check out Twin Tower Island, Silver Skein Isles 2425. The description on page 390 says it is rumored to be built by the Philosophers. Those are the only two references I could find.
galliard
Gnoll

Postby Bochi » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:29 am

galliard wrote:Out of curiousity, I typed "Philosophers" into my Wilderlands pdf and got a few results. This one, about a castle known as the Fane of Miasma (City State 1206) is relevant, I think:

It is believed that the caverns beneath the Fane were tunneled out long ago by the ancient Philosophers (or perhaps earlier) and that they contain an immense store of advanced knowledge and supplies related to healing. Some of the items found beneath the Fane may include ancient “technology.”

All of the tech is related to healing, and in fact there is a large red cross painted there, which suggests this used to be a hospital.

Beware the machine that goes "PING"
Bochi
Orc

Postby Freedom92 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:31 am

I noticed that and it made me laugh, they are a group of religious healers who use small amounts of technology and refuse to sell these items. I wonder if bringing them 'technology' or introducing a vitalist would be a interesting way to bring players there. The Twin Tower Island would be a interesting delve though, its described as catacombs run beneath it all.What things lurk below this site built far from the reach of those Pious? Are technological wonders and alchemical horrors sitting where their masters left them or are the catacombs new in some areas as if expanding? Delve into the depths of the Twin Towers and discover the relics of long ago.
Freedom92
Bugbear

Postby Havard » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:18 pm

How advanced to you envision the Philosophers to be?

While they could represent a downright sci fi civilization, they could also easily be a kind of alchemist types handling technology they didnt fully understand. At least that's what I gathered from reading the history section from the boxed set last night.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Freedom92 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:11 pm

I'd show them IMC as the sort of alchemist and engineer type of group handling strange technology and attempting to recreate it. Some are inflicted with a mind warping disease resulting in psionics, while they would have some sci-fi elements I think they would be a mixture depending on where they would be set. If the ruins in The Twin Tower Island were cut off from the Pious I could see the catacombs be ever expanding as the drones follow their last order continue to digging within their designated zone while their alchemical concoctions left stagnant began to spawn oozes.
Freedom92
Bugbear

Postby Freedom92 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:15 am

Can anyone give me advice on who I could represent a Philosopher race/class wise? I know information wasn't really given for the War of the Pious and Philosophers leaving it very vague. I know the Philosophers were anti-magic so that leaves me wondering what to toss in the melting pot to make a group of philosophers. One of my ideas would be a philosopher who creates warbeast without magic and another with a knack for radiation, any ideas?
Freedom92
Bugbear

Postby robertsconley » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:27 pm

galliard wrote:Out of curiousity, I typed "Philosophers" into my Wilderlands pdf and got a few results. This one, about a castle known as the Fane of Miasma (City State 1206) is relevant, I think:

I wrote that.

I was playing off of not only Bob Bledsaw's notes but the allusions to an earlier technological age that were found in the original books. For example the artifact table of Kukculan the Preserver found in the Glory Hole Dwarven Mine module. I remember a ruined section of subway on the map found in another product.
robertsconley
Hobgoblin

Postby robertsconley » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:31 pm

Havard wrote:How advanced to you envision the Philosophers to be?

The artifact tables in Glory Hole Dwarven Mine indicate that they were around late 20th century/early 21st century level of technology. I.e. no ray guns or other 70s era typical sci-fi items are ever listed.

The module is $4 as a PDF on RPGNow
http://www.rpgnow.com/product/1026/Glor ... Mine?it=1&
robertsconley
Hobgoblin

Postby Freedom92 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:57 pm

Wow I didn't expect them to be on par with 20/21st century technology, I thought they'd be using advance technology to combat the Pious in the past resulting in super science on par with the power of magic with reference to the sci-fi back story
Freedom92
Bugbear

Postby Sir Wulf » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:05 pm

If the Philosophers lacked high technology but had regained or retained fragments of knowledge left from the world's initial starfaring settlers, the resulting melange could be used to produce strange steampunk tech. Without any real information about the culture, the players could be baffled to discover steam-powered robots or fragile crystal computers that use a archeoglyphic keyboard and writing pad as a data interface and display.
Sir Wulf
Goblin

Postby Freedom92 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:32 pm

Sir Wulf wrote:If the Philosophers lacked high technology but had regained or retained fragments of knowledge left from the world's initial starfaring settlers, the resulting melange could be used to produce strange steampunk tech. Without any real information about the culture, the players could be baffled to discover steam-powered robots or fragile crystal computers that use a archeoglyphic keyboard and writing pad as a data interface and display.

Thats how I've played philosopher ruins for the most part, something strange and yet familiar with a mixture of things. I've had them encounter old mining drones taken a apart but rebuilt and adapted to resources they had, steam, solar, etc. They've encountered old security bots and even a actual old craft filled with automatons with sentience(Warforged-3.5-), and a 'school' of psions following the idea that with psionics they may be able to find a real working craft to escape the planet to hide among the stars away from the magic users. Also I play psionics as a pseudo-science where the effects are mostly remembered by psions as formulas and their psionic items are essentially silicone in crstal form holding energy and other things.

Though I wouldn't mind introducing steampunk elements, a bit of strange technological grafts and crude mech and tech. Tempted to make a few Philosopher base classes now though, things that don't have magic or supernatural abilities that only rely on science and psionics.
Freedom92
Bugbear

Postby robertsconley » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:47 pm

Freedom92 wrote:Wow I didn't expect them to be on par with 20/21st century technology, I thought they'd be using advance technology to combat the Pious in the past resulting in super science on par with the power of magic with reference to the sci-fi back story

Remember that the background for the original Wilderlands products was pretty disjointed. The ultimate answer is to do what the rest of the Wilderlands referees did, take what there and make up the rest in accordance to your own interests.

I will point out that even World War II era technology would be pretty spectacular to the medieval mind when put alongside magic. In the 70s wargamers, among other things, happily mixed world war II miniatures with fantasy miniatures.
robertsconley
Hobgoblin

Postby Freedom92 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:52 pm

robertsconley wrote:
Freedom92 wrote:Wow I didn't expect them to be on par with 20/21st century technology, I thought they'd be using advance technology to combat the Pious in the past resulting in super science on par with the power of magic with reference to the sci-fi back story

Remember that the background for the original Wilderlands products was pretty disjointed. The ultimate answer is to do what the rest of the Wilderlands referees did, take what there and make up the rest in accordance to your own interests.

I will point out that even World War II era technology would be pretty spectacular to the medieval mind when put alongside magic. In the 70s wargamers, among other things, happily mixed world war II miniatures with fantasy miniatures.

True enough, I mix my star wars and fantasy minis so I have a mixed box of technology using and magic slinging characters.I still think of them as a group of scientist, etc. trying to eek out a life while being assaulted by the Pious. I have ideas how to implement that table though, alter it a little to swing the way I envisioned it.
Freedom92
Bugbear

Postby Havard » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:29 pm

Sir Wulf wrote:If the Philosophers lacked high technology but had regained or retained fragments of knowledge left from the world's initial starfaring settlers, the resulting melange could be used to produce strange steampunk tech. Without any real information about the culture, the players could be baffled to discover steam-powered robots or fragile crystal computers that use a archeoglyphic keyboard and writing pad as a data interface and display.

Yep. Possessing fairly advanced technology does not mean that their culture had also evolved to that level. Imagine people with essentially a medieval mentality able to operate high technology...

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Freedom92 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:03 pm

Havard wrote:

Yep. Possessing fairly advanced technology does not mean that their culture had also evolved to that level. Imagine people with essentially a medieval mentality able to operate high technology...

-Havard

Makes me think of the earlier Fallout games where tribals live in the ruin and the Brotherhood of Steel show to fix and use energy weapon as well as how to wear and function in power armor.

Wasnt there mention of power armor in one of the source books?
Freedom92
Bugbear

Postby S'mon » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:31 am

In my Wilderlands the Altan Federation was a peaceful technological civilisation in Altanis/Pazidan, attacked by the Orichalan Dragon Lords. From a strange crystal found beneath the City State:

Suddenly a beam of violet light shoots out from the crystal, to a point in the air between the mound and the others at the shore, and a vision begins to form there...
You hear music in the air - "Da da dum - Dee Da!" The violet light coalesces into swirling runes, some kind of script that looks a very little like Alryan, and these fade, to an image of a brightly lit marble desk, an elegant looking woman with the scarlet skin of a pureblood Altanian is sat behind it, staring "out" of the vision. Her black hair is subtly coiffed, and she wears a diaphonous white gown. She begins to speak, in archaic Altanian, similar enough to Alryan that you can all understand.
"Here is the news. Combat Command has confirmed that Orichalan forces now occupy Delta Sector. There is no word of survivors. Fighting in Theta Sector continues. .."
"Combat Command lists Altan confirmed casualties at eight thousand, three hundred and thirty two. Orichalan losses are estimated at zero."
"Prime Minister Mendel has urged the populace not to give up hope. He remains confident that..."
There is the sound of a crashing noise from somewhere outside the vision's field of view. The woman looks up, suddenly frightened. Then a massive black battle-axe descends, smashing the marble desk-top. The woman screams. You see a scaly black, clawed hand gripping the shaft of the adamatine waraxre. Then there is a shower of white motes, a crackling noise, and the vision ends.

My thinking is that in desperation the Altani made contact with the alien Markabs for aid, initiating the global 'War of the Pious and Philosophers'. The Markabs were eventually defeated (again), the Altani were defeated or destroyed, their descendants enslaved for thousands of years by the Dragon Lords. The Altani, now called Altanians, eventually won their freedom when the Dragon Lords foolishly went to war with the Demon Empires of the far south. The race-hero Bondorr led a successful rebellion in alliance with Prince Ghinor, leader of the proto-Ghinorans.

The Altani were inspired by 1970s "Blake's 7", I'm thinking their technology is a mix of 20th century and more futuristic, with some peaceful tech very advanced but much less military tech, until they started receiving assault rifles and such from the Markabs... :lol

Nec games discussion thread here -http://necromancergames.yuku.com/topic/11753
Last edited by Giant Space Hamster on Mon May 26, 2014 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Broken link fixed by Big Mac
S'mon
Goblin

Postby Big Mac » Mon May 26, 2014 9:51 pm

S'mon wrote:The Altani were inspired by 1970s "Blake's 7", I'm thinking their technology is a mix of 20th century and more futuristic, with some peaceful tech very advanced but much less military tech, until they started receiving assault rifles and such from the Markabs... :lol:

Do you mean the human stuff from Blakes 7 or the sort of stuff found on the Liberator (that hails from "The System")?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Return to Wilderlands