Pathfinder Online is coming!

Discuss Paizo's Pathfinder rules here. Discussion of the World of Golarion campaign setting can also be held here.
The Book-House: Find Pathfinder RPG products.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

Pathfinder Online is coming!

Postby dfryer36 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:05 am

Read all about it! I have a feeling I am going to be stuck with a new addiction soon.
David Fryer
I am a cute and cuddly winged harbinger of DEATH!

Do you have what it takes to be a hero?
dfryer36
White Dragon

Re: Pathfinder Online is coming!

Postby Angel Tarragon » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:16 am

WOO-HOO!!!!
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Cthulhudrew » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:36 am

Ah. Was wondering what all the "Something Soon To Come" and the site being down all day was about.

This is awesome. Been looking for an alternative to the City of Heroes grind lately (and other MMOs just haven't done it for me.)
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby Havard » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:51 pm

Wow!

I'm not really into Online games, but I think alot of great things can come out of this. If anyone can, I think Paizo can work that balance between the computer game industry and the RPG one, where both influence eachother in positive ways.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Havard » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:18 pm

Check out this cool video showing how the Golarion RPG map becomes a 3D landscape.

:cool:

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Cthulhudrew » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:43 am

That is really cool! Thanks for that link, Havard. I haven't really been following the progress of the game that much lately, so this was a neat surprise.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby Havard » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:55 am

Here's a new video: http://vimeo.com/78768519#

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Teazia » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:19 pm

wow that looks unbelievably horrible. I hope they can get the characters to fit more into the WAR art style. otherwise the game will be A bland failure that might kill the parhfinder brand. if I was Lisa Stevens I would be concerned.

what they showed should be completely rote at this point in pcgames, I hope they are well passed this phase.
Teazia
Gnoll

Postby Cthulhudrew » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:13 am

I think it looks decent, though graphically it seems somewhat less than its competitors out there currently in the MMO field. In any event, I think fears that it might "kill the Pathfinder brand" are a considerable overexaggeration.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby Teazia » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:12 am

Killing PF may be a bit strong, but substandard video games have a way to be quite damaging to a brand. It is possible that an MMORPG has broader market appeal than the ttrpg, so the damage could be comparatively immense.

Or not, but if I were Lisa I would be concerned
Teazia
Gnoll

Postby Cthulhudrew » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:05 am

Bear in mind, too, that this particular MMO is by design only going to be limited in the number of participants allowed entry. I forget how many, but I know that initially they are only opening it to a relatively small pool of players, with that number gradually opening up over time. Those players, pretty much again by design, are likely to be Pathfinder players, as opposed to the general public (and general MMO pool).

It's also not really mechanically the same as the Pathfinder rpg, featuring very different mechanics as well as more of an emphasis on world building/sandbox gameplay.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby dulsi » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:51 pm

Teazia wrote:Killing PF may be a bit strong, but substandard video games have a way to be quite damaging to a brand. It is possible that an MMORPG has broader market appeal than the ttrpg, so the damage could be comparatively immense.

I don't think that is a big deal. The D&D Online game wasn't considered very good when it came out. I don't think it had any impact on tabletop gaming. Shadowrun still exists despite a game that didn't do well. Although that was a standalone game so in some ways it impact is less than a continuing MMORPG. Even if it doesn't bring more people to PF due to a bad MMORPG, I doubt that would affect the tabletop market.
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
Support Roon's Raccoon Sprintladder on Lego Ideas.
ImageImage
dulsi
Storm Giant

Postby Havard » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:42 pm

So, I guess I missed what happened to this:

The Road Forward

Posted by: Bob Settles March 17, 2017

Hello players of Pathfinder Online! Lisa here, with a sizeable update and roadmap into the future.
As many of you recall from my last address, I had hired an electronic game agent to look at the game and then come back to me with their recommendations. After spending almost a month analyzing the game, they presented me with their results. There was good and bad news given in this briefing. The bad news was that they didn’t feel that there were any large MMO companies that would be willing to put large sums of money into finishing the game. However, they felt that the game as implemented with the addition of some of the missing features would fill a niche in the marketplace quite nicely and felt that there was upside there for a more indie type company. They presented me with a list of companies for whom that might be a nice fit and I gave them permission to pursue talking to them.
But their biggest recommendation to me was to just finish the game myself. They felt there was a sizeable upside for Paizo. I was very hesitant to do this at first, but was determined to see what it might take financially to realize their vision. After doing some analysis I decided that it was time to not sit on the sidelines anymore waiting for a white knight to swoop in. Instead, I am committing to a one year timeline to finish off the following list of features that will finish out a feature set that I feel represents the game well. At that point, we will move the game out of Early Enrollment and hopefully be able to expand our staff and continue to add to the game as we always planned to.
To be perfectly upfront, we are going to have a very small team working on these features. Cole and Bob are onboard along with myself to bring these across the finish line. Because we have this small, scrappy team, we aren’t aiming to compete with the AAA MMOs of the world. Rather, we will be more of an indie MMO aiming at providing a fun and engaging game to a more niche market.
While creating the following list of features to work on, I had a number of factors to consider.
I looked for features where a considerable amount of work had already been done and it would only take a small amount of work to bring those features into the game. Settlement building upgrades are a great example of this. We had an environmental artist working on these for two years and much of his output has never been seen in the game.
I looked for features that activate elements that currently don’t work in the game. There is nothing as frustrating for a new player as being told, “Oh, that isn’t implemented in the game yet” when they encounter a feat or recipe or something else. Great examples of this are the ammo system or the gods.
I looked for features that will make it much easier for new players to learn the game and increase the probability that they will stick with the game. A great example of this is that we are going to create a Core Rulebook for the game which will serve as a way to not only learn the game but also as a great offline reference while you play the game.
I looked for features that helped to fill out the robustness of a facet of the game. Gushers for gathering and Alliances and Blacklists for settlement control are great examples.
I looked for ways to bring more revenue in for us to grow the operations through a more robust cash shop. Player owned houses is a great example here.
Finally, I wanted to deliver on some of the Kickstarter promises. Giving out the daily deals is a great example.
Bob, Cole and I then sat down with a pretty exhaustive list of things we would like to do and we debated how we could accomplish them and how long it would take. We only have a limited amount of both time and labor, so we had to look for the biggest bang for the buck.
The end result of that debate is the roadmap below. We have worked to provide a release schedule and an idea of the timing of each release to provide you with a clearer path about when you might expect new things to enter the game. As always, we will be crowdforging those features as we start to work on them to glean the experiences of the players.
To get this work done on time and on budget, we are going to need to be laser focused. It is going to take a gargantuan effort by this team. But with your support and continued input, we believe that it can be done. We have set up our roadmap so that it has some flex time where we will try to get more done than is represented on the map below. Many of these additional things will be related to various Kickstarter perks. Others are fun things that we would like to see added to the game but aren’t essential.
Of course, finishing out the feature set is only one half of the equation. We need quite a few more people playing the game for all of this to work. Thankfully, I have various marketing efforts planned that will bring in tens of thousands of people to try out the game. I just need to make sure that when I kick those plans into effect, that the game is to a point where they will have the best chance of sticking and becoming regular players. We aren’t at that point yet and it may take a half year or more before I am ready to bring a lot more players. But I wanted you to know that it will be coming as part of this takeover of the game by Paizo.
We felt that you needed this update and this roadmap. You have been so supportive of this game without any clear idea of what was going to get done, if ever, and heck, even if the game was going to survive another month. Well, those times of uncertainty are over.
Again, I would like to thank you for your support and encouragement over the past years. I hope to make you proud to be a supporter of this game.
-Lisa Stevens
CEO
Paizo Inc.

Source: https://goblinworks.com/blog/the-road-forward//

It is too bad this project ended up in trouble, but I hope we will see a finalized game over the next year. The MMORPG business is obviously an incredibly tough one to get into, but I wish them luck :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Traianus » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:46 pm

I thought I'd just throw my 2 cents in...

I currently play PFO, enough so that I was selected to be the leader of one of my alliance's settlements. The game is far from perfect, and really is in a spot somewhere between Alpha and Beta. They do need to add a lot of things still- classes, races and mechanics to better make it a territorial control sandbox. They need to do more to make it feel like Golarion, rather than a generic fantasy world, and do more to capture the feeling of Kingmaker. It is not going to be for everybody, and the population right now reflects that.

That said, I have fun in it. The community is one of the least toxic gaming communities out there and the regulars of my settlement and alliance help make my time in game enjoyable. It is challenging, but in a good way. Almost all gear is player made, with high level gear requiring you to invest significant resources to craft it- if you have the recipe and skill, or are able to find someone to do it for you (my main character just acquired an Avenger's Longsword, and it felt like a big deal, for me and for the weaponsmith who made it for me). Players build up the settlements to provide the things they want to train and craft, but if you want to do a lot of things at a high level, you'll need to plan accordingly to get the weekly bulk resources required from holdings/outposts your settlement controls, or trade others for it. Players control the middle and high ranks of training (T2 & T3)- without a settlement to back you, you're stuck the T1 training NPC settlements provide. While that is limiting, you aren't useless, particularly if you invest in gathering skills. Escalations, the primary PVE activity if you aren't a gatherer/crafter, are challenging at high levels and are impossible to meaningfully manage without a team. The development team is small, but they are slowly but consistently adding to the game and they are accessible to players on the forums and in the game.

Obviously, I'm not exactly impartial, but if you come into it expecting a challenge and understand the it is really Golarion Online and not Pathfinder (Rules) Online, it can be a very rewarding experience.
AC995-Traianus Decius Aureus- Praetorian Legate, Equites Laurifer, bearer of the Corona Civica, Corona Muralis and Corona Obsidionalis -delivered the motherland from the Thyatian occupation and was raised to the purple by the Praetorian Guard.
Traianus
Bugbear

Return to Pathfinder