Magic Trap

Discuss Paizo's Pathfinder rules here. Discussion of the World of Golarion campaign setting can also be held here.
The Book-House: Find Pathfinder RPG products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Chiaramonte
Orc

Magic Trap

Post by Chiaramonte » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:09 pm

I know it's probably listed somewhere, but I don't want swim through the ocean of reference to find it. How would I set up a magical trap to summon swarm in a dungeon that has been abandoned for centuries? I want to provide an element of creepiness and bother to a somewhat jaded and otherwise powerful party. I know about the Summon Swarm spell, but I'm not as well versed in Pathfinder mechanics as old school D&D. what spell triggers are available for a dungeon?
"Reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated." Cinneadd Fletcher- highwayman, archer, adventurer

"I am sorry I never got to meet you, Cinneadd." Shahrzad Fialka Parandeh - Sword Dancer, Adventurer, Madame, Deposed Princess of Azriban

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Re: Magic Trap

Post by timemrick » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:51 pm

All the rules you need are in the Core Rulebook. Like any other trap, a magical trap needs a location (a place or thing it's been set to protect, usually), a trigger (usually proximity--someone enters the trapped space or touches thev trapped item), and an effect. Then it's just a matter of setting an appropriate CR and DCs. Magical traps are actually easier to design than mechanical ones, because they usually just use an existing spell, the level of which determines most of the other numbers.

A magical trap can use just about any spell that doesn't need a caster present to direct its effects; blast spells, save or die attacks, and curses are common. Summoning traps typically conjure creatures who attack the person who set off the trap, though some--like swarms--may simply attack whoever's closest once their initial attack is made.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Chiaramonte
Orc

Post by Chiaramonte » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:03 am

Thanks. I was thinking Glyph of Warding and Summon Swarm, but one is a cleric spell and the other is arcane. I was hoping for a "one stop shop"
"Reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated." Cinneadd Fletcher- highwayman, archer, adventurer

"I am sorry I never got to meet you, Cinneadd." Shahrzad Fialka Parandeh - Sword Dancer, Adventurer, Madame, Deposed Princess of Azriban

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:45 am

Chiaramonte wrote:Thanks. I was thinking Glyph of Warding and Summon Swarm, but one is a cleric spell and the other is arcane. I was hoping for a "one stop shop"
Maybe a multiclass NPC could set that sort of trap up.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:39 pm

Here's the relevant section of the PRD. Scroll down to the end of that page for a very long list of links to premade examples.

Note that magical traps can be spells (spells that already work as traps) or magical devices (built using Craft Wondrous Item). The latter would let you combine spells from different classes into one trap.

Do you want the Glyph for blasting or just for triggering the swarm? You can use other spells as triggers, most of which are available to arcane casters. Alternately, have a witch cast the Glyph; both spells are on that class's list.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Chiaramonte
Orc

Post by Chiaramonte » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:06 pm

timemrick wrote: Do you want the Glyph for blasting or just for triggering the swarm? You can use other spells as triggers, most of which are available to arcane casters. Alternately, have a witch cast the Glyph; both spells are on that class's list.
Just wanted it to trigger the swarm. I think the witch idea works the best, with a twist. The trap is something set up by people from an ancient civilization presumed extinct to protect a treasure. Thanks for the ideas.

Return to “Pathfinder”