GenCon News: Advanced Class Guide for next year

Discuss Paizo's Pathfinder and Pathfinder Second Edition rules here. Discussion of the World of Golarion campaign setting can also be held here.
The Book-House: Find Pathfinder RPG products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

GenCon News: Advanced Class Guide for next year

Post by Cthulhudrew » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:39 pm

Paizo has announced one of their hardcovers for next year will be the Advanced Class Guide; little information as yet, but it looks to be a book with new hybrid classes along the lines of the Magus (fighter/wizard). 10 classes in all. A couple of them have been revealed:

Shaman (oracle/witch)
War Priest (cleric/fighter)
Slayer (ranger/rogue)
Hunter (druid/ranger)

I'm guessing at least one will be a Swashbuckler (fighter/rogue); James Jacobs has been saying for a long time now that he feels a lightly armored finesse fighter needs to be more accomodated than the current rules easily allow.

There will be a playtest coming this fall. I imagine it will be spaced out like the one for the APG classes (ie, a few classes in first playtest, others in another, etc.)

Sort of mixed feelings about this. I think it could be interesting, but I'm not entirely sure its needed, given that a lot of these can kind of be done now through multiclasses/archetypes/combination of both. I also happen to really dig the Shaman class from Kobold Press, although oracle/witch definitely seems like it fits the concept pretty well.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Re: GenCon News: Advanced Class Guide for next year

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:52 pm

Stands to reason. The Advanced Race Guide by itself just looks silly all alone on the shelf.

Hunter should be on par or outdo the ranger with tracking.
Social Media & Extended Signature

Pathfinder 2E
The ABCs of Character Creation
Product Catalog

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Re: GenCon News: Advanced Class Guide for next year

Post by Cthulhudrew » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:33 am

New blog post by lead designer Jason Bulmahn about the Advanced Class Guide.

Warpriest, Bloodrager, Slayer, Hunter, Shaman, and just announced- Swashbuckler (fighter/gunslinger hybrid). The base doesn't have firearms proficiency, so I'm guessing it's more a combination of good fighting prowess plus a similar "grit" mechanic to the Gunslinger, allowing for feats of derring-do associated with swashbucklers, like swinging from chandeliers and such.

There will also be archetypes for all of the 10 new classes in the guide, as well as a chapter on design tips (not a race builder like the ARG had).

I'm also reading rumors that there may be a 4 level casting hybrid class like Paladins and Rangers, but with arcane spellcasting rather than divine.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Return to “Pathfinder”