GenCon News: Advanced Class Guide for next year

Discuss Paizo's Pathfinder rules here. Discussion of the World of Golarion campaign setting can also be held here.
The Book-House: Find Pathfinder RPG products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

GenCon News: Advanced Class Guide for next year

Post by Cthulhudrew » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:39 pm

Paizo has announced one of their hardcovers for next year will be the Advanced Class Guide; little information as yet, but it looks to be a book with new hybrid classes along the lines of the Magus (fighter/wizard). 10 classes in all. A couple of them have been revealed:

Shaman (oracle/witch)
War Priest (cleric/fighter)
Slayer (ranger/rogue)
Hunter (druid/ranger)

I'm guessing at least one will be a Swashbuckler (fighter/rogue); James Jacobs has been saying for a long time now that he feels a lightly armored finesse fighter needs to be more accomodated than the current rules easily allow.

There will be a playtest coming this fall. I imagine it will be spaced out like the one for the APG classes (ie, a few classes in first playtest, others in another, etc.)

Sort of mixed feelings about this. I think it could be interesting, but I'm not entirely sure its needed, given that a lot of these can kind of be done now through multiclasses/archetypes/combination of both. I also happen to really dig the Shaman class from Kobold Press, although oracle/witch definitely seems like it fits the concept pretty well.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Re: GenCon News: Advanced Class Guide for next year

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:52 pm

Stands to reason. The Advanced Race Guide by itself just looks silly all alone on the shelf.

Hunter should be on par or outdo the ranger with tracking.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Re: GenCon News: Advanced Class Guide for next year

Post by Cthulhudrew » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:33 am

New blog post by lead designer Jason Bulmahn about the Advanced Class Guide.

Warpriest, Bloodrager, Slayer, Hunter, Shaman, and just announced- Swashbuckler (fighter/gunslinger hybrid). The base doesn't have firearms proficiency, so I'm guessing it's more a combination of good fighting prowess plus a similar "grit" mechanic to the Gunslinger, allowing for feats of derring-do associated with swashbucklers, like swinging from chandeliers and such.

There will also be archetypes for all of the 10 new classes in the guide, as well as a chapter on design tips (not a race builder like the ARG had).

I'm also reading rumors that there may be a 4 level casting hybrid class like Paladins and Rangers, but with arcane spellcasting rather than divine.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Return to “Pathfinder”