Good 1st level side-trek?

Discuss Paizo's Pathfinder rules here. Discussion of the World of Golarion campaign setting can also be held here.
The Book-House: Find Pathfinder RPG products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

maddog
Frost Giant

Good 1st level side-trek?

Post by maddog » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:43 pm

Ack! I'm under the gun for prep again! Need a 1st level side-trek that can be set in Elsir Vale (Red Hand of Doom's setting) It can be in any rule set as I'm good at conversion but Pathfinder is being used for the game.

Suggestions from our hivemind?

--Ray.
---
Hey! I just became a frost giant!
My Moderator voice is in Green.
Moderator of Dragonlance forum.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Good 1st level side-trek?

Post by Big Mac » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:14 pm

I'm told that Elsir Vale and Nentir Vale are supposedly set on the same planet. Have you considered raiding one or more Nentir Vale adventures and giving them a slight Elsir Vale reboot?

H1 Keep on the Shadowfell, H2 Thunderspire Labyrinth and H3 Pyramid of Shadows might make a good group to reboot. If you changed the names of the locations, switched a few monsters and changed a few plot details to fit in with the original Elsir Vale material, your players might not even notice that you are using 4e adventures.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:38 pm

maddog wrote:Ack! I'm under the gun for prep again! Need a 1st level side-trek that can be set in Elsir Vale (Red Hand of Doom's setting) It can be in any rule set as I'm good at conversion but Pathfinder is being used for the game.
I suggest taking a look at Wolfgang Baur's The Raven's Call for Pathfinder. It's written for Midgard, but there's very little Midgard-specific content in there. You could drop the village into any area with a river and run it virtually unchanged.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

maddog
Frost Giant

Post by maddog » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:50 am

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Ended up finding The Black Goat by Richard L. Smith II in Kobold Quarterly #17. I needed an inn and this fit perfectly in Red Rock. Added a Zombie (who doesn't need zombies) to room 12 and a Giant Frog to room 13. Based the Sleeper in Darkness on a the Giant Frog to keep it from becoming too powerful for 1st level PCs and to link it back to the frog in room 13. Here's it's BS stats...

The Sleeper In Darkness
CR 1, XP 1600, N Medium abjuration
Init +1; Senses darkvision 60’; Perception +3
DEFENSE
AC 12, touch 11, flat-footed 11 (+1 Dex, +1 natural); amorphous
hp 15 (2d8+6)
Fort +6, Ref +6, Will +1
OFFENSE
Melee bite +3 (1d6+2 plus grab) or tongue +3 touch (grab)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft. (15 ft. with tongue)
Special Attacks pull (tongue, 5 feet), swallow whole, dominate
STATISTICS
Str 15, Dex 13, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 6
Base Atk +1; CMB +4; CMD 9 (can’t be tripped)
Feats Lightning Reflexes
Skills Perception +3, Stealth +5
SPECIAL ABILITIES
Amorphous (Ex)
The creature’s body is malleable and shapeless. It is immune to precision damage (like sneak attacks) and critical hits.
Call Minions
The Sleeper can call up to 1d12 dominated creatures in Red Rock to defend itself. They are level 1 commoners and start arriving in 1d4+2 rounds.
Dominate (Su)
The Sleeper in Darkness can crush a humanoid opponent’s will as a standard action. Anyone engulfed by the Sleeper must succeed on a Will save (DC 15) or fall instantly under it’s influence. This is similar as the dominate person spell.
Tongue (Ex)
The sleeper’s tongue is a primary attack with reach equal to three times it’s normal reach (15 feet in this case). It’s tongue deals no damage on a hit, but can be used to grab. The Sleeper does not gain the grappled condition while using its tongue in this manner.
---
Hey! I just became a frost giant!
My Moderator voice is in Green.
Moderator of Dragonlance forum.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:32 am

Thanks for sharing the stats for the Sleeper in the Darkness.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Return to “Pathfinder”