Which dragons would be perfect for a Gothic setting?

Discuss Paizo's Pathfinder rules here. Discussion of the World of Golarion campaign setting can also be held here.
The Book-House: Find Pathfinder RPG products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Which dragons would be perfect for a Gothic setting?

Post by Angel Tarragon » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:34 pm

I am constructing the pillars of my latest campaign setting, Malathéa and one of them is that the world is drenched in Gothic overtones. I still would like to try to use dragons in my setting. So I am curious....which dragons would work best with that in mind?

I am thinking that dragons would rarely be seen and contained to a very small island chain...perhaps something like Io's Blood Isles from Council of Wyrms. The world is mostly humanocentric and the other humanoid races would be odd people out...races in decline.
Tarragonverse Index

Reading
Book/Novel: Back To The Future III novelization
RPG Reading: Sandy Petersen's Cthulhu Mythos

RPG Projects
Codename: Eternals (Pathfinder Kitbash, Multiple settings premise)
Codename: Trinity (One solar system with three inhabitated and Earth-like worlds in the Goldilocks zone / Codename: Eternals system, but none of the three worlds are connected to the Codename: Eternals setting)

BotWizo
Wizard

Re: Which dragons would be perfect for a Gothic setting?

Post by BotWizo » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:20 pm

Cyan Bloodbane -- very good at corrupting from behind the scenes.

Now if you mean colors etc. then with an island chain I would go Blue, Black and Green.
Assuming you use the modern day d&d alignment of dragons, and not the BECMI alignment for them.
Game over man... Game over! -- Pvt. Hudson

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:29 pm

Seeing as you posted this in the Pathfinder forum, I'd suggest looking at umbral dragons, raveners (PF's version of a dracolich), and wyrmwraiths. Among the chromatics, blues and greens probably have the most potential for a Gothic game: they're intelligent, lawful, and ambitious, so make good despots and masterminds.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:31 pm

timemrick wrote:Seeing as you posted this in the Pathfinder forum, I'd suggest looking at umbral dragons, raveners (PF's version of a dracolich), and wyrmwraiths. Among the chromatics, blues and greens probably have the most potential for a Gothic game: they're intelligent, lawful, and ambitious, so make good despots and masterminds.
Thank, Tim! That's what I like to hear! :twisted:
Tarragonverse Index

Reading

RPG Projects
Codename: Trinity (One solar system with three inhabitated and Earth-like worlds in the Goldilocks zone / Codename: Eternals system, but none of the three worlds are connected to the Codename: Eternals setting)

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:09 am

The Esoteric dragons would seem appropriate, notably the Occult and Nightmare dragons; the others to a lesser extent.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:28 am

Thanks, Drew!
Tarragonverse Index

Reading

RPG Projects

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:29 pm

The Antiquarian
In the Royal Museum, they walk the halls in elderly human form, knowing every object like their own scales, fierce and unyielding in their determination to protect every treasure and endlessly acquire more, using contacts at the highest levels of government to send out expeditions, even military invasions of other countries to feed their hunger for artifacts. Or perhaps they dispense with human guise, stretching out in full serpentine glory deep in the bowels of the museum, communicating through intermediaries who insist that the museum's master is indisposed. Whether the government knows they harbor a literal dragon in their midst or not, the Antiquarian uses the pretext of liberating artifacts from savages in the name of science and the preservation of history to satiate their lust for valuable and rare items.

The Archivist
Ancient and wise, this dragon hungers not for physical treasures but for knowledge, nesting in a massive library, perhaps even controlling a ring of spies. To be sure, the Archivist appreciates books as objects, well-preserved, sealed away from oily human fingers, but their primary concern is hoarding knowledge for its own sake. Human governments or clandestine organizations may find the Archivist to be a valuable ally, but the dragon parts with their knowledge only grudgingly, expecting to be handsomely rewarded in exchange for their secrets.

The Chained Beast
A creature of frustrated rage, this dragon was captured long ago, bound at horrific cost. Its captors might worship it in spite of its imprisoned status, offering it sacrifices and wealth, or they might hold it in reserve in case there's absolutely no better option than to unleash an uncontrollable horror into the world, or as a final act of revenge to ensure enemies do not live to enjoy their victory. Or perhaps its captors are literally unable to destroy it, keeping it in chains because no more permanent solution is possible.

The Leviathan
Deep in the inky darkness of the ocean depths, strange creatures undreamt-of by air-breathers lurk, from giant squids to civilizations of mer-creatures to dragons. Some of the dragons live as kings in fortresses of coral and pearl, and will treat with humans who through their ingenuity build mechanical vehicles capable of surviving the airlessness and pressure of the deep.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:09 pm

Great stuff, Rip. Thanks! ♥
Tarragonverse Index

Reading

RPG Projects

Return to “Pathfinder”