[Starfinder] So... they blew up Golarion?

Discuss Paizo's Pathfinder rules here. Discussion of the World of Golarion campaign setting can also be held here.
The Book-House: Find Pathfinder RPG products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

[Starfinder] So... they blew up Golarion?

Post by Zeromaru X » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:17 pm

I'm not so knowledgeable about Pathfinder, as I'm more of the WotC sort, but I know that Golarion is highly regarded as campaign setting. However, reading in the wiki, it seems that Golarion is just... gone. Not even the gods know what happened (or don't want to say).

So, what happened? And, how the fans have reacted to this? I guess that Paizo should have leaned the lesson WotC learnt the hard way (not to blow up your settings!), but I know little of Pathfinder to say an informed opinion.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Re: [Starfinder] So... they blew up Golarion?

Post by ripvanwormer » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:37 pm

Starfinder takes place in Golarion's future. In a Pathfinder campaign, Golarion's still around, and will remain so indefinitely. The disappearance is only relevant in a Starfinder campaign.

It's like how Gamma World sort of blew up Earth, but that doesn't affect RPGs set in the present day (even if you assume a shared continuity).

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:09 am

We don't even know if it blew up--it's simply gone, and all records of what happened to it have been purged from the universe. Even members of long-lived races who survive to the present day can't recall what happened, and if the gods know, they're not telling.

Basically, It's a way for Paizo to continue to create Pathfinder content for the Golarion of Starfinder's past without having to worry about maintaining continuity between the two games. The designers have no intention of revealing what happened to Golarion between those two time periods, which leaves it up to the GM to determine the answer for their own campaign if they decide to explore that mystery. (It's a lot like the Starstone in that way: Everyone knows it can turn worthy or lucky mortals into gods, but Paizo is never going to quantify exactly how that happens. If you want to use it in your home game, it works however you want/need it to.)
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:52 pm

It wasn't blown up. Paizo pulled a Dragonlance with Golarion with Starfinder and pulled out of the Material Plane in which the Starfinder universe exists. The staff at Paizo has said that the Starfinder universe is but one possible future of Golarion, not a definitive one.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:19 pm

Zeromaru X wrote:So, what happened? And, how the fans have reacted to this? I guess that Paizo should have leaned the lesson WotC learnt the hard way (not to blow up your settings!), but I know little of Pathfinder to say an informed opinion.
I did personally find this offputting. But I had already decided that I didn't want to use Starfinder after finding out it was unlikely to help me "Spelljammerise" the planetary system that Golarion was set in, as it's more similar to d20 Future.

If I was looking for a Pathfinder RPG equivalent of d20 Future, I don't think I would see the presence or absence of Golarion as an issue.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:24 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:It wasn't blown up. Paizo pulled a Dragonlance with Golarion with Starfinder and pulled out of the Material Plane in which the Starfinder universe exists. The staff at Paizo has said that the Starfinder universe is but one possible future of Golarion, not a definitive one.
That's true. It's the exact same thing that got done with Krynn. And I didn't like that either, as it raised questions I didn't want to have to deal with.

However, it shouldn't be too hard to add Golarion back in.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:26 pm

Se, they blew up Golarion, and now pretend they didn't... because "is an alternate world!" or "its like in ten thousand of years".

Well, I kinda find this bumming, as well.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:22 pm

I just recently bought Starfinder, but from what I understand it never blew up. It just disappearered.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:33 pm

Havard wrote:I just recently bought Starfinder, but from what I understand it never blew up. It just disappearered.
Exactly.

Return to “Pathfinder”