Treasure Generation

Discuss Paizo's Pathfinder rules here. Discussion of the World of Golarion campaign setting can also be held here.
The Book-House: Find Pathfinder RPG products.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

Treasure Generation

Postby Mr Dark » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:16 am

Am I the only one that has issues with how random treasure is generated? The explanation is very sparse and I am not fond of the 'trade out' idea from the core book. So far I have been usiing a D20 based generator but I am looking for either a more clear explanation or a good app (The one I found is not helpful).

Thanks!
Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!
Mr Dark
Orc

Re: Treasure Generation

Postby Big Mac » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:46 am

I don't own much Pathfinder stuff. I saw a Treasure Generator page in the Ultimate Equipment section of the Pathfinder Reference Documnent.

Is that the system you are talking about?

Or were you talking about something from the core rulebooks?

I couldn't see anything about "trade out" rules on that page. Maybe I missed it. :?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby AxesnOrcs » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:10 pm

I think the PF treasure generator is fine, but the last time I ran PF half of my players complained up and down about "being below wealth by level" all the time.
https://axesnorcs.blogspot.com/ Semi-frequent posts on RPGs, focused on stuff I make for games I run.
AxesnOrcs
Hobgoblin

Postby timemrick » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:09 am

AxesnOrcs wrote:I think the PF treasure generator is fine, but the last time I ran PF half of my players complained up and down about "being below wealth by level" all the time.

I have to keep checking this every level or so in my own games, so that I can try to adjust treasure accordingly. I'm doing fast advancement in my current game, and I'm still getting used to the adjustments needed to give out treasurer faster.

Once in a great while I'm tempted to switch to some system more like Pathfinder Society, where you can use anything you find during the scenario, but after the adventure, you get a predetermined amount of gold, which you use to buy any new items that you want to keep. It would ensure that wealth per level stayed on track, but would lose a lot of the fun inherent in more organic ways of finding treasure and figuring out what to do with it.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Winds of Freeport: My Pathfinder Freeport campaign (2014-2016).
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Postby AxesnOrcs » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:29 am

If it weren't for the fact that in PF WBL is tied closely to CR, I'd suggest ignoring it totally.
https://axesnorcs.blogspot.com/ Semi-frequent posts on RPGs, focused on stuff I make for games I run.
AxesnOrcs
Hobgoblin

Postby Mr Dark » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:21 am

@Big Mac: It's in with the horde treasure where you trade out gold for items and it seems rather low in the numbers of items gotten.

Everyone else: I have been using the 3.X tables as they are more familiar and gives a nice random feel to treasure. I just haven't found a really good system yet.
Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!
Mr Dark
Orc

Return to Pathfinder