Wayfinder #19 Call for (Starfinder) Submissions
Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 7:45 pm
Wayfinder (the Pathfinder fanzine) have decided that the switch between 1.0 and 2.0 Pathfinder rules means that they would be better off doing a Starfinder special, for their next issue. Here is the [Community Project] Wayfinder #19 Call for Submissions that Timitius posted over at the Paizo forums:
Are you planning to submit any articles?
Does anyone on The Piazza write for Wayfinder?Timitius at Paizo.com forums wrote:As we announced last year, Wayfinder is now going to be an annual issue, released for PaizoCon each year. Therefore, Wayfinder #19 is slated for a May 2019 release.
With the revelation that Pathfinder v.2 was slated to begin a playtest in August 2018, with a final product in August 2019, we felt that producing a Pathfinder v.1 issue in May 2019 would not get a lot of interest. Luckily, readers have been requesting a Starfinder issue a since the Core Rulebook came out. Now, it’s important that a theme has enough created content from Paizo for fans to create new content, so we thought it best to give it some time….and we think it’s time now!
The goal for the fanzine is to create a collection of fan-created articles and supporting art set in Paizo’s Campaign Setting world of Golarion and the Pact Worlds.
The theme for Wayfinder #19 will be Starfinder’s Absalom Station! Please use the Starfinder RPG Core Rulebook as your main reference, along with Pact Worlds, and the Absalom Station Gazetteer in the Dead Suns Adventure Path: #1 Incident at Absalom Station (as well as the handy-dandy StarfinderWiki and the Archives of Nethys)! Preference will be given to articles that follow the issue’s theme. Writers are invited to submit articles that fit within the following categories:
- Advice: Share valuable information or experiences with new GMs or players in the new Pact Worlds system. Submission size: 750 words.
- Alien Archive: New creatures to terrorize your PCs! Each creature counts as a separate submission. Submission size: 750 words per creature. However, because multiple creatures are combined to form a single bestiary article, smaller entries will be considered as long as they are complete. (i.e., a hard target word count of 750 words does not apply to bestiary entries. See the Starfinder RPG Alien Archive for examples of proper formatting and content.)
- Fiction: Wayfinder now accepts fiction submissions directly from the public. Joining a writer’s group to help with editing and development is still highly recommended. Submission size: either 750 or 1,500 words.
Flavor Articles: People, shops, organizations, events, poetry, or other aspects of life in the Starfinder Campaign Setting. These articles should build on the material already available in other sources. Flavor articles may include some rules material, such as item, location, or spell stat blocks, if necessary, but it should be a minor part of the article. Submission Size: 750 or 1,500 words.
- Gazetteer: Expand and explore places or levels on Absalom Station that have little to no information about them in the campaign setting literature. If applicable, you may submit up to a 1/2-page map of your chosen locale. Submission size: 1,500 words.
Of Chance and Skill: Games, new to or adapted for Starfinder, to play at your table. Submission size: 750 or 1,500 words.
- New Rules: Articles devoted to new themes, class archetypes, feats, or spells for the Starfinder RPG. Multiple smaller entries (usually feats, spells, or magic items) can be grouped together by a clear theme and submitted as one article. Submission size: 750 or 1,500 words.
- New Equipment: Articles detailing new weapons, armor, augmentations, technological items, magic items, hybrid items, or vehicles. See the Starfinder RPG Core Rulebook for examples of proper formatting and content.
- Starship Building: The Starfinder RPG Core Rulebook contains rules for building starships! This article type is focused on building upon those rules. The article should contain a history or description of the ship or ship line, as well as stat blocks for each ship type. Submission size: 750 or 1,500 words.
- Side Trek Seeds: Side trek seeds are short outlines that provide GMs with ideas, either as side treks for a Starfinder adventure or as mini-adventures on Absalom Station. Each side trek seed counts as a separate submission. Please refer to earlier issues of Wayfinder for the layout for this article. Submission size: 325 words.
- Poetry and Song: Music and poetry often define a culture. Share your vision of the best-known songs and poems of the Pact Worlds, with special emphasis on the issue’s theme. Submission size: 35 to 50 lines in total.
- Weal or Woe: Two 6th-level or lower NPCs (including statblocks—one potential ally, one potential adversary. Include hooks for how PCs might meet each NPC and how to use them in a campaign. Include a boon that can come from the Weal character and a drawback from the Woe character. Please reference earlier Wayfinders for the layout for this article, and try to avoid lengthy and complicated stat blocks, as they take up more space than regular text, and can cause problems with layout (i.e., not enough room for art). Submission size: 1,500 words.
- Thou shalt not disregard canon, thou shalt build upon it.
- Keep in mind thy audience. Keep it PG-13. No slash fic/porn fantasies, cheesecake/beefcake/fan service. These are prohibited by the Community Use Policy.
- Short and sweet. Refer to the word count requirements for each type of submission. These are HARD targets, not a range. Articles submitted with word counts more than 5% above or below the target numbers will not be accepted.
- Limit of up to THREE submissions per person per issue. So, pick your three best ideas!
- Do not submit an article that relies heavily on another submission, whether the other submission is yours or someone else’s. Any submitted articles that reference (an)other article(s) must be pre-approved by the Editor-in-Chief.
- Stick to the theme. Articles that do not relate to the theme will not be accepted. Articles should be taking place on Absalom Station in some way.
- Submissions used to defame, harass, or threaten board members are not tolerated.
- Conditions for Submissions. All authors and artists must agree to have their works reproduced for this and other Wayfinder products, be it for translations into other languages (we will be responsible for the truthfulness of the translations), special publications, or use on a Wayfinder website. All of Wayfinder’s publications are NON-PROFIT, and authors and artists will be given proper credit where due.
- Send all submissions to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line containing “Wayfinder #19 Submission:”, followed by the article title.
- All text submissions must be submitted in DOC or DOCX format (doesn’t matter if you use Office or OpenOffice). Note: Files sent in RTF, TXT, or any other format than DOC will be rejected.
- For people who use open-source software, like OpenOffice and LibreOffice, and save their files as .DOC files, there is a mismatch between file types when trying to open the .DOC files in versions of Word from 2013 and up. It results in losing the last few lines of text. Those lines can only be viewed on Word 2010 or earlier. If you use these open-source programs, you MUST put one or two carriage returns after your last paragraph before you save the document as a .DOC file. Otherwise, we will have great difficulty being able to read and edit your submission.
- Do not use fancy fonts or colors or styles for formatting - these will get stripped out in the editing and layout process. Use the standard body font for the program you’re using - bold and italics are fine. Ask us for an example of our style templates, if you’d like to use that. Tables must be tab delimited (DO NOT USE FORMATTED TABLES).
- Use standard Starfinder RPG formats for stat blocks. Familiarize yourself with the style and wording choices used in Paizo products and apply those same style and wording choices to your submissions.
- At the top of your submission, in the body of the article, provide the following information: article title (and subtitle, if any), author name(s), contact e-mail address(es), and word count of the submission.
Article About Something Cool: Subtitle Would Go Here
Liz ‘Lilith’ Courts
Word Count: 1,501 words
- Accepted entries will go through editing passes for clarity and concision. Depending on time constraints, you may or may not receive feedback from the editing process.
- Failure to follow these instructions or to meet one or more guidelines will result in rejection of the submission.
- DEADLINE: October 31, 2018, 11:59 Pacific. All entries will be handled on a first come, first serve basis. Some articles may be rejected depending on the final size of the PDF.
Are you planning to submit any articles?