Chronica: Age of Exploration Campaign Setting

Discuss Paizo's Pathfinder and Pathfinder Second Edition rules here. Discussion of the World of Golarion campaign setting can also be held here.
The Book-House: Find Pathfinder RPG products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Chronica: Age of Exploration Campaign Setting

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:14 am

I received Chronica: Age of Exploration in the mail today and I've done an unboxing and cursory look through of the book. Feel free to watch my video and either comment here or on YouTube. I plan on doing a dedicated video review of the product in its entirety...expect that by mid-November.
Social Media & Extended Signature

Pathfinder 2E
The ABCs of Character Creation
Product Catalog

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Re: Chronica: Age of Exploration Campaign Setting

Post by Sturm » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:23 am

Interesting, I downloaded the free preview here: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17 ... on-Preview
It seems a XVII century real world with fantasy races and alternative history.
There is a pagan New Atlantis empire (even if I do not see it in the map)
Olmecs and a Reptilian civilization in America
A British Empire with halflings
An african empire dominated by rakshasa and bird creatures
The Egyptian Empire still exists, as the Holy Roman Empire and the Mongol Empire (after Genghis Khan returned to being petrified for centuries apparently :)
Russia is a wild land with giants and monsters.
Dragons and monsters are supposedly extinct or very rare, which I do not like much.
From the preview and video I'm not sure the book has much details on the setting, it probably has a lot of rules I would not use.
I mostly want details from campaign setting and I do not care for rules and mechanics so even if the setting seem very interesting, I suspect I could probably could do it myself without the book.
How long is the adventure and what is about?
Editor of Threshold, the Mystara Magazine: http://pandius.com/thrs_mag.html

RegularZac
Kobold

Post by RegularZac » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:44 pm

Actual author here.

Thanks for the love, Angel!

Re: the changes to Pathfinder and concerns about this version, I have no intention of taking it off DriveThru. The edition change and the recent popularity of 5E is a little overwhelming for lil' ol' me to keep up with and does present some fun challenges that I'm sure I'll get into a bit later.
I wrote a book and it's pretty neat. You should look at it and drink plenty of water.

Chronica: Age of Exploration

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:48 pm

RegularZac wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:44 pm
Re: the changes to Pathfinder and concerns about this version, I have no intention of taking it off DriveThru. The edition change and the recent popularity of 5E is a little overwhelming for lil' ol' me to keep up with and does present some fun challenges that I'm sure I'll get into a bit later.
As I'm staying a PF 1E purist, that's great to hear.

Pathfinder 2E
Product Catalog

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:43 pm

RegularZac wrote:
Actual author here.

Hi RegularZac! Welcome to The Piazza! :)

If you have the time later, feel free to introduce yourself in the Hello Thread.

This setting looks quite interesting.

I found the following description on the Kickstarter page:
Discover Chronica: Age of Exploration
Chronica is a hybrid setting of fantasy and real world history, the result of fantastic creatures and magic bleeding into our world. Age of Exploration, the first publication in the Chronica series, takes place in a world similar to our 16th and 17th centuries with many of that period's wars and discoveries. The setting introduces options for players, as well as a conflict rich world for GMs to build upon. It is inspired by our own history- both our villains and our heroes. Chroncica: age of Exploration is designed to be Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Compatible.

Familiar Ground: The Earth that we know is similar to the world of Chronica: Age of Exploration. Several civilizations and religions that never coexisted in our world prolong their relevance with mastery over magic, technology, and abnormal lifespans. Magic, science, and the adventuring industry has pushed most monsters to the brink of extinction; survivors have fled to the darkest corners of the globe.

Historic Injustice: Human decency has not always been a priority in our world. To forget this would glorify the cruelty and bloodshed that brought us to this moment in time. Chronica: Age of Exploration gives characters a chance to explore both heroic and villainous roles through a filter of fantasy in a timeline altered by magic and extreme longevity.

Piety and morality: The rise of shamanistic and monotheistic traditions introduce solitary gods and limitless spirits. With all-encompassing profiles, these new religions can be followed by a person of any alignment. Other pantheons are more traditional, and include many of history's oldest religions.

New mechanics: Regions play a large role how players will interact with the rest of the world. Unique player options are available depending on the region each character is from. Chroncia: Age of Exploration includes new feats, prestige classes, regional favored class bonus, races, and more.

I really like that this setting is placed somewhat later than many other fantasy settings in the timeline.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:48 pm

RegularZac wrote:
Actual author here.
Welcome to The Piazza RegularZac!

You might want to pop over to the Introduce yourself here topic and tell people a bit about yourself, Chronica and any other roleplaying stuff you like to talk about.

And, as you are an author, we should get you added to the list of Celebrities on The Piazza too. Let Havard know about what sort of stuff you have made and he can edit you into his list.

You might also want to use your forum signature to link to your website or somewhere that helps people find/buy your stuff and/or crop a picture out of your book and use it as your forum avatar. :)
RegularZac wrote:

That's good to know.

It means that the fanbase can always get more copies of this book (without having to pay large amounts of money to eBay bandits).

Is there anything else in the pipeline (that does not involve moustaches ;) )?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

RegularZac
Kobold

Post by RegularZac » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:42 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:48 pm
Sick reference. The answer is I hope so!

The dream is to convert CAoE to 5e, but with PF2 coming out, I have to wonder what is the best course. I've been toying with the idea of my own system for a while and it would defiantly fold nicely into this challenge. I also have plans to put out some smaller supplements for players that really want to chase the rabbit up the Obsidian tower or their own region of origin; this plan originally was geared towards original Pathfinder, and gauging the interest for legacy systems will be the guiding force behind the next few projects.

It's all in the pipeline, just waiting on resources.
I wrote a book and it's pretty neat. You should look at it and drink plenty of water.

Chronica: Age of Exploration

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:34 am

I'd love to see some system-less supplements; these would be great for fleshing out the regions of the world and possibly the organizations too. This would allow for multi-system support by separating the fluff and crunch. All region and organization PC options could be relegated to a smaller PDF for the system of choice.

Pathfinder 2E
Product Catalog

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:34 am

RegularZac wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:42 pm
Big Mac wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:48 pm
Sick reference. The answer is I hope so!

The dream is to convert CAoE to 5e, but with PF2 coming out, I have to wonder what is the best course.
I don't think that 5th Edition is going anywhere, in the near future, so if you want to do 5e rules, you should go for it.

Do you have a way to mark up what stuff is rules and what stuff is background material? Perhaps you could write up 5th Edition material in a way that allows you to search for 5e rules to replace with Pathfinder 2 rules later. (There seems to be an element of "reinventing the wheel" to adapting campaign settings to new rules, so if you can find some way to plan ahead, you might be able to do the Pathfinder 2 groundwork with the 5e version.)
RegularZac wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:42 pm
I've been toying with the idea of my own system for a while and it would defiantly fold nicely into this challenge. I also have plans to put out some smaller supplements for players that really want to chase the rabbit up the Obsidian tower or their own region of origin; this plan originally was geared towards original Pathfinder, and gauging the interest for legacy systems will be the guiding force behind the next few projects.

It's all in the pipeline, just waiting on resources.
Going with your own system might be more of a niche market, but if it's something you want to do, then it might be worth exploring.

The 3e SRD, Pathfinder Reference Document and the 5e SRD are all released under the OGL. (Many retroclones are also released under the OGL.) So you might be able to look at various OGL variants and take your favourite ideas from each ruleset. :D
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Return to “Pathfinder”