Castellan's Guide to Arms & Armor of the Early Medieval Peri

Discuss Troll Lord Game's rules set here.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Castellan's Guide to Arms & Armor of the Early Medieval Peri

Post by Big Mac » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:23 pm

I just saw a C&C book with the very long title of Castellan's Guide to Arms & Armor of the Early Medieval Period. Here is the blurb from Amazon:
Castellan's Guide to Arms & Armor of the Early Medieval Period wrote:Throughout mankind s history, warfare has been an endemic part of his culture. From tribal beginnings to the rise of the Roman Imperium and beyond, man has waged war. The tools of this brutal trade have changed over the years, from simple stone to complex metal. They have changed as necessity dictates and experience allows. These are the arms and armor of the early medieval period of Western Europe. This work will concentrate on the weapons and armor suits and pieces common to Western Europe roughly covering 800 A.D. to 1200 A.D. This period saw the technology of the warrior emerge from the traditions of the ancient Roman world and begin to develop a uniquely European flavor, for a uniquely European warrior s needs. For the player of Castles & Crusades (and many other RPGs) this work will give a brief perspective on the history and effectiveness of certain arms and armor types. All too often in RPGs, a weapon or armor type is given a weight and damage factor, but not WHY the particular weapon or armor piece was created. What was the reason for the Bearded Axe when the Roman Dolabra Axe was already invented? Why make a Longsword when the Legionnaire s Gladius Shortsword was already around? Why carry a wooden shield when Iron ones were available? This work hopes to answer these questions in a concise manner without bogging the reader down in a plethora of charts or dry expositions! This book divides the various weapons and armor types into a brief listing that gives the vital statistics of the item in question, followed by an annotated description and history to allow Castle Keepers to place the armament in its proper historical context. Designed for use with the Castles & Crusades® Role Playing system.
Has anyone got this? What do you think of it?

The blurb says this is usable for many other RPGs. How much of this is specific to C&C and how much can be used in other games? Is the raidable content easier to use in some RPGs than others? (For example, is it easier to use stuff with D&D or Pathfinder than with GURPS.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Buttmonkey
Orc

Re: Castellan's Guide to Arms & Armor of the Early Medieval

Post by Buttmonkey » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:56 pm

I have it. It is not specific to C&C and would be easily be useable with any version of D&D, especially 2E and earlier. It basically has illustrations of various types of weapons with damage values. It might be a little more detailed (I haven't looked at it in over a year).

If you are thinking about buying something like this, I suggest you hold off for now. TLG is releasing a much more extensive version sometime in the near future. It is a stretch goal on their kickstarter to reprint the core rulebooks. Once the kickstarter backers get delivery, it should be available for sale to the public generally. No release date has been given. I'm assuming by the end of the year.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun May 22, 2016 1:43 am

Thanks for the heads-up Buttmonkey.

I'll definitely hold off on this now, and have another look at this later.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Mon May 23, 2016 8:16 am

Big Mac wrote:I'll definitely hold off on this now, and have another look at this later.
The updated version of the title is now available. It's just over twice the page count of the previous version. https://www.trolllord.com/tlgstore/#!/A ... y=11639170
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue May 24, 2016 10:48 pm

Tim Baker wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I'll definitely hold off on this now, and have another look at this later.
The updated version of the title is now available. It's just over twice the page count of the previous version. https://www.trolllord.com/tlgstore/#!/A ... y=11639170
Thanks for the heads-up. So it seems they have changed the name of this product to Arms & Armor

(TLG sure have an annoying website. Pop ups demanding I sign up to their mailing list. Meh!)

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Wed May 25, 2016 1:13 am

Big Mac wrote:Thanks for the heads-up. So it seems they have changed the name of this product to Arms & Armor
Correct.
Big Mac wrote:(TLG sure have an annoying website. Pop ups demanding I sign up to their mailing list. Meh!)
I'm not a fan of their web site either. Note that you can click the little 'X' at the top right corner of that pop-up to make it go away. If you're interested in the product and would prefer to buy it from DTRPG (perhaps with a Piazza affiliate link?), it's available there as well: http://drivethrurpg.com/product/168792/ ... arms+armor
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:09 pm

Tim Baker wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Thanks for the heads-up. So it seems they have changed the name of this product to Arms & Armor
Correct.
Big Mac wrote:(TLG sure have an annoying website. Pop ups demanding I sign up to their mailing list. Meh!)
I'm not a fan of their web site either. Note that you can click the little 'X' at the top right corner of that pop-up to make it go away. If you're interested in the product and would prefer to buy it from DTRPG (perhaps with a Piazza affiliate link?), it's available there as well: http://drivethrurpg.com/product/168792/ ... arms+armor
When the Book-House gets a C&C section it will probably point at Drive Thru.

Return to “Castles & Crusades”