Comparison ?

Discuss Troll Lord Game's rules set here.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Comparison ?

Post by shesheyan » Sun May 13, 2018 1:26 pm

I acquired the Player's Handbook for 20$ yesterday in a local garage sale. An impulsive buy. I see that it's an OGL game. How does the system compare to BECMI and d20 3.5? Is it more complex than 5E?

DMSamuel
Hobgoblin

Re: Comparison ?

Post by DMSamuel » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:20 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 1:26 pm
I acquired the Player's Handbook for 20$ yesterday in a local garage sale. An impulsive buy. I see that it's an OGL game. How does the system compare to BECMI and d20 3.5? Is it more complex than 5E?
I wrote a review/comparison a couple of years ago for my blog - here is a link: Castles and Crusades Review on RPG Musings
-- DMSamuel --

RPGMusings.com

@DMSamuel

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:38 pm

I'm not an expert, but I would say it is a simplified version of 3E. It has some interesting features. I would hazard it is less complex than 5E.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Re: Comparaison ?

Post by shesheyan » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:38 pm

DMSamuel wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:20 pm
shesheyan wrote:
I wrote a review/comparison a couple of years ago for my blog - here is a link: Castles and Crusades Review on RPG Musings
WOW! Super detailed review. Very useful. Love it. Thanks for sharing the link. I'm glad to hear its not a retro-clone but rather a modern game that plays and feels like AD&D1E. I also bought BlueHolmes which is a retro-clone. I guess I'll have to make a choice between these two when the time comes... too many games! :lol:

DMSamuel
Hobgoblin

Re: Comparaison ?

Post by DMSamuel » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:50 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:38 pm
I guess I'll have to make a choice between these two when the time comes... too many games! :lol:
Story of my life! Too many games, too little time!
-- DMSamuel --

RPGMusings.com

@DMSamuel

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:38 am

DMSamuel wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:20 pm
Great review. Thanks for sharing!
shesheyan wrote:
How does the system compare to BECMI and d20 3.5? Is it more complex than 5E?
I've always thought of Castles & Crusades as a modernized/streamlined version of AD&D. It uses the consolidated mechanics of the OGL (what they call the SIEGE Engine) to keep the rules consistent and simple, but capture the feel of AD&D. While it's based on the OGL, it's definitely more straightforward and easier to run than 3.5.

When comparing it to 5e, it seems like 5e solved several problems in the manner in which C&C had been doing it. 5e feels closer to C&C than 3.5 does. I would say that C&C is simpler than 5e. There are fewer exceptions to rules and classes have fewer options. But the difference isn't dramatic, especially if you stick to the core books.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Return to “Castles & Crusades”