Crusader's Companion

Discuss Troll Lord Game's rules set here.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Re: C&C Rules Compilation

Post by rabindranath72 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:15 pm

Peter wrote:I posted, pointing them out and got a response about C&C being fast and loose :P
Ah yes, this answer tops them all. You point out a wrong rule, or missing stuff, and you are told that it's a feature, not a bug. How professional. One of the reasons I don't post on the TLG forum anymore.

There are also some errors in the monsters descriptions, for example goblins and kobolds should get the "light sensitivity" characteristic; Golems and Elementals should get a sort of damage resistance (as they stand now, they can be hit also by normal weapons) and so on.

Is "The Illusionist" title still used to define the class in 3rd and 4th printings?

Peter
Gnoll

Re: C&C Rules Compilation

Post by Peter » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:45 pm

Ah yes, this answer tops them all. You point out a wrong rule, or missing stuff, and you are told that it's a feature, not a bug. How professional. One of the reasons I don't post on the TLG forum anymore.
Ya, I was not impressed with that answer. Sounded like something Microsoft would say.
There are also some errors in the monsters descriptions, for example goblins and kobolds should get the "light sensitivity" characteristic; Golems and Elementals should get a sort of damage resistance (as they stand now, they can be hit also by normal weapons) and so on.
Dang, more stuff to fix.
Is "The Illusionist" title still used to define the class in 3rd and 4th printings?
Ya in the 3rd printing it's still The Illusionist.

EDIT: All the fixes you pointed out should be in. I somewhat fixed that table in the doc. It doesn't squish anymore, but it pushes the other 2 to the next page.

Updates

Added an index with clickable links.
Added a 2e inspired bard, paladin, and ranger.
Added an alternate wizard with specialization and devotion.

In C&C Core Rules

Added new Ranger abilities and partial Fighter abilities from the Castle Keeper's Guide (from the sample).
Last edited by Peter on Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Peter
Gnoll

Re: Crusader's Companion (Was C&C Rules Compilation)

Post by Peter » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:16 pm

Changed the name (Last time, I promise :P)
Redid all the races, removed some unfinished, added some.
Various typos, bugs, and layout fixes.
Adapted Khepri's Class Construction Engine to C&C and used it to deconstruct the classes.
Started work on a Class Reconstruction section (unfinished till I can get a hold of a CKG).

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:41 am

There's one big change that need to be made in the Crusader's Companion; the page numbering. It resets with the Monsters section.

Peter
Gnoll

Post by Peter » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:18 am

Thanks for pointing that out, I'll fix it soon.

EDIT: Fixed.

UPDATES

Rechecked Mutant Animals and the Planes chapter, fixed and removed the remaining 3e junk that was lingering in there. After I do the same for the Airships chapter, I'll start adding some more goodies.
Added Genetic Attribute Generation by Steven J. Ege and Robert Doyel.
Converted and added Adamant's One Million Magic Items (this allows you create magic items on the fly using tables, up to 1 million possibilities).
Added Adamant's Random Fantasy Adventure Generator.
Added a Craftsman class inspired by Gary Gygax's Dwarven Craftsman class (no description yet, and needs balancing).
Added 2 more spells by Zarathustra.
Added a new Class Deconstruction section. This time I deconstructed the classes to get the XP listed in the PHB. Although I got them all to turn out with the right total, I have no way to verify if the values are correct.
Added section Creating Fantastic Names, from Gary Gygax's Extraordinary Book of Names.
Added a table for Monster Attributes.
Kris Keen submitted a ton of material that has now been added. This includes: Demon Lords, Arch-Devils, New Class Abilities, Trickster Class, Dragonborn Race, a Ton of Spells, and some other stuff. See the Contributions section for a complete list.
Add races Aquatic Elf, Arctic Dwarf, Bullyw... er Boggard, Forest Gnome, Crabfolk, Derro, Doppleganger, Aasimar, Tiefling, Skulk, and Yeshemi (based on FF's Moogle).
Added the Perception attribute from Myth & Magic.

All but 15 of the SRD spells are in. The remaining ones I'm having some trouble with as they rely on some 3e rules that I'm unfamiliar with, such as damage reduction and conditions. If anyone else wants to give them a go, I will gladly add them. They are Animate Plant, Bless Weapon, Calm Emotions, Keen Edge, Iron Body, Prying Eyes, Rage, Ray of Exhaustion, Righteous Might, Rusting Grasp, Scintillating Pattern, Status, Touch of Fatigue, Waves of Exhaustion, and Waves of Fatigue.
Last edited by Peter on Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Re: Crusader's Companion

Post by Boddynock » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:11 pm

I'm kind of curious since it's been awhile. But has anyone gotten a chance to use the Crusader's Companion? If so what do you think? Is it worth a print job? Or do you prefer parts of it as opposed to the whole pdf?
Check out my blog http://boddynock-te.blogspot.com/

Support your local gnome!

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Post by rabindranath72 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:40 am

I don't think it exists anymore, since the author was "kindly requested" to remove most of the stuff since TLG and "someone else" (I wonder who's the idiot) were upset for the possible loss of revenue. Peter was kind enough to do it.
Personally, I would have offered them the middle finger; the C&C rules are OGL, and everyone can do as damn as he pleases with those rules as long as the OGL disclaimer is put into the document. They have reaped all the fruits of the OGL, and pretend that other don't do the same. Shame on TLG! :evil:
One more reason I am not buying any more stuff from them.

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Post by Boddynock » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:04 pm

Oh? The link on this threads first page still works. I was able to download the pdf and am wondering if I should take it to the print shop. Have you had any experiences with it Rabin?

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Post by rabindranath72 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:21 pm

Boddynock wrote:Oh? The link on this threads first page still works. I was able to download the pdf and am wondering if I should take it to the print shop. Have you had any experiences with it Rabin?
That's not the original document. He had added all the rules stuff (edited and corrected, much better than the work done by TLG) from the PHB plus other stuff.
I am not playing much C&C anymore, so I have not had the chance to use it. But before printing all that stuff, I would give a look before. It's possible that not everything is useful to you.

Peter
Gnoll

Post by Peter » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:25 pm

It was more than someone else, they mobbed my thread :P I totally agree with your stance on the OGL, and I presented arguments to try to make that point, but they still ended up with opposing views. I pulled it, because I'm not trying to piss off the authors or the community of the RPG I enjoy.

The core rules document still exist on my hard drive and backups, and it was finished (as in no missing sections). If Troll Lord Games ever ends up going out of business, I'll re-post the link for it.

To the question tho, I personally wouldn't print the whole thing. There's a lot in it that I wouldn't use as a DM or a Player. It's all in there for others to decide. That is why I include the source document, so you can pick or choose.

dulsi
Storm Giant

Post by dulsi » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:00 pm

That's disappointing to hear. Things like that make me really question whether I want to buy any TLG products.
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
Support Roon's Raccoon Sprintladder on Lego Ideas.
ImageImage

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Post by rabindranath72 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:21 pm

Peter wrote:It was more than someone else, they mobbed my thread :P I totally agree with your stance on the OGL, and I presented arguments to try to make that point, but they still ended up with opposing views. I pulled it, because I'm not trying to piss off the authors or the community of the RPG I enjoy.

The core rules document still exist on my hard drive and backups, and it was finished (as in no missing sections). If Troll Lord Games ever ends up going out of business, I'll re-post the link for it.
I am sorely tempted to make it public myself. I don't care one iota for that bunch of rabid and idiotic fanboys. :twisted: Then they can be pissed off till the end of time. They have absolutely no right to ask anyone to not distribute an OGL product.

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Post by Boddynock » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:45 pm

Peter wrote:It was more than someone else, they mobbed my thread :P I totally agree with your stance on the OGL, and I presented arguments to try to make that point, but they still ended up with opposing views. I pulled it, because I'm not trying to piss off the authors or the community of the RPG I enjoy.

To the question tho, I personally wouldn't print the whole thing. There's a lot in it that I wouldn't use as a DM or a Player. It's all in there for others to decide. That is why I include the source document, so you can pick or choose.
I'd first like to say thank-you for responding to the thread, hadn't seen you in awhile Peter so I was worried you dropped off the edge of the world : ). I will say that I still enjoy the Crusaders Companion, especially the link you have on our front page here. I don't plan to print all of it, but if I do bring in spellcasting bards or chronomancers, I'd consult it. I'm very disappointed with the handling done by TLG over this. The Companion had, what I thought, very good production values (I especially liked the pictures you added in.) I can't say the writing as I tend to skim, so I don't immediately pick up on TLG's editing mistakes, except for the Shark stats in Monster or Treasures.

Peter
Gnoll

Post by Peter » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:02 am

I am sorely tempted to make it public myself. I don't care one iota for that bunch of rabid and idiotic fanboys. :twisted: Then they can be pissed off till the end of time. They have absolutely no right to ask anyone to not distribute an OGL product.
And there's nothing anyone could do about it. That's the beauty of open licenses, it's nearly impossible to make disappear. I did gain a benefit from that fiasco tho, the Trolls allowed me to use there logo and game name in the current revision. Plus they host it right on there site. Also, they weren't the first company against it. I remember Green Ronin raising a stink over someone doing a Mutants & Masterminds SRD.
I'd first like to say thank-you for responding to the thread, hadn't seen you in awhile Peter so I was worried you dropped off the edge of the world : ). I will say that I still enjoy the Crusaders Companion, especially the link you have on our front page here. I don't plan to print all of it, but if I do bring in spellcasting bards or chronomancers, I'd consult it. I'm very disappointed with the handling done by TLG over this. The Companion had, what I thought, very good production values (I especially liked the pictures you added in.) I can't say the writing as I tend to skim, so I don't immediately pick up on TLG's editing mistakes, except for the Shark stats in Monster or Treasures.
I pop up here and there. I got a different job months back, where I have to work graveyard shift. So I end up sleeping way more than I should, which cuts into my free time. I have been doing small updates tho. I still got a ton of races that I want to get in. The spellcasting Bard and Chronomancer are two classes that I would use myself too. The Chronomancer should be updated at some point, he needs a couple of abilities to put him on par with the rest of the arcane classes. There are crazy amount of misspellings in the core books, and lots of grammar issues too (which wasn't fixed in mine, because OpenOffice doesn't have a decent grammar checker).
Last edited by Peter on Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Post by Boddynock » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:19 am

The races were neat, though I'm not sure if I'd use the starting armor class. I know that comes from the Complete Book of Humanoids. I'd probably give certain races a small 'natural armor' boost. Like Dragon Born I can see, their scaly body. But a 15 AC already for an ogre, I'm not sure if I'd let a player use that. However I do use them as a guide for the stuff I write in my handbook, so good work putting them in.

Peter
Gnoll

Post by Peter » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:10 pm

I stuck with the natural AC, because I believe most non-standard humanoids would not wear armor. If they did, it would probably be difficult to find a shop that sells some for their body type. Also, some of their skills would be difficult to activate in armor, such as flying in plate mail, a tongue attack with a full helmet, etc. Plus, I'm pretty sure in AD&D2, that armor negates natural AC.

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Post by Boddynock » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:54 pm

I do have a question on one of the alternate Paladin abilities. Page 53 of the Crusades Companion states

Multiple Attacks: As a warrior subclass, the Paladin gains 3/2 attacks at 10th level, and 2 attacks/round at 20th level.

The part I'm not sure is the 3/2 attacks. Am I to read this as 3 attacks every two rounds?

Peter
Gnoll

Post by Peter » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:35 pm

Yes, 3 attacks every 2 rounds. I'll reword that so it's clearer.

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Post by rabindranath72 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:33 pm

You may also want to specify how the attacks are placed in the two rounds, and how they interact with the initiative system. For example, in AD&D 1e the two attacks happen on odd-numbered turns, and out of initiative order (i.e. they happen first before anything else happens in the round, and last.)
In AD&D 2e the two attacks happen on even-numbered turns, and the first attack happens in initiative order, the other one at the end of the round.

Peter
Gnoll

Post by Peter » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:40 pm

Ya, good call. Those High-Level abilities are someone else's OGC, so I didn't really give them much thought. I'll go with the 2e way. I'll update it later today, when I'm done updating my indexes.

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Post by Boddynock » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:03 pm

Thank you for clarification Peter, I'll make sure to add that note to my printed copy.

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Post by rabindranath72 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:55 pm

Peter wrote:Ya, good call. Those High-Level abilities are someone else's OGC, so I didn't really give them much thought. I'll go with the 2e way. I'll update it later today, when I'm done updating my indexes.
The 2e way is probably easier to handle, but the 1e system gives fighters a notable boost.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon May 30, 2016 3:13 pm

Peter wrote:All but 15 of the SRD spells are in. The remaining ones I'm having some trouble with as they rely on some 3e rules that I'm unfamiliar with, such as damage reduction and conditions. If anyone else wants to give them a go, I will gladly add them. They are Animate Plant, Bless Weapon, Calm Emotions, Keen Edge, Iron Body, Prying Eyes, Rage, Ray of Exhaustion, Righteous Might, Rusting Grasp, Scintillating Pattern, Status, Touch of Fatigue, Waves of Exhaustion, and Waves of Fatigue.
Did anyone ever convert these spells to C&C?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Return to “Castles & Crusades”