Crusader's Companion

Discuss Troll Lord Game's rules set here.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

Crusader's Companion

Postby Peter » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:51 pm

Crusader's Companion is a collection of OGC by me, Dominique Crouzet, Mike Stewart, Colin Chapman, Simon Washbourne, Kris Keen and various other sources.

PDF
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6141913/Castles ... panion.pdf

ODT
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6141913/Castles ... panion.odt
Last edited by Peter on Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:46 pm, edited 27 times in total.
Peter
Gnoll

Re: C&C Rules Compilation

Postby Philosopher » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:16 am

This is fabulous. Thanks Peter!

The last three links didn't work for me, however.
- Selman
Philosopher
Cloud Giant

Postby Peter » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:17 am

You are welcome.

Sorry about that, i was just in the process of rearranging stuff. I update these docs a lot. The appendix section was removed, because there wasn't enough to put in there. They should be fixed now.
Peter
Gnoll

Postby Philosopher » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:54 am

Works now. Thanks.
- Selman
Philosopher
Cloud Giant

Postby Big Mac » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:44 am

Peter wrote:This project is finished. I'm moving on to a different project. The final download link is below.

Thanks for joining the forum, so you could post this, Peter. And welcome to The Piazza!

Out of interest, is your next project for C&C or something else?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Peter » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:17 am

It's for C&C.
Last edited by Peter on Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Peter
Gnoll

Postby rabindranath72 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:46 am

I have been working for a long time on a conversion of the d20 Conan game to C&C, and these documents might provide an excellent basis for compiling the whole into a stand-alone Sword & Sorcery game. Thanks for the hard work!
rabindranath72
White Dragon

Postby Peter » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:07 am

Glad to hear that it can be of use for other projects. Someone by the name of ThrorII on the Troll Lord forums has done some Conan to C&C conversion documents, but it would be great to see a complete book.
Peter
Gnoll

Postby Havard » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:10 am

Welcome to the Piazza, Peter! Thanks for sharing those rules :)

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby rabindranath72 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:56 pm

Peter wrote:Glad to hear that it can be of use for other projects. Someone by the name of ThrorII on the Troll Lord forums has done some Conan to C&C conversion documents, but it would be great to see a complete book.

Yes I know the guy, he did a good job, but I would approach it somewhat differently, with direct conversion of the d20 Conan classes to the C&C framework, rather than using C&C classes in the same roles as d20 Conan classes (which tend to be a bit more powerful and with some more options.)
rabindranath72
White Dragon

Postby metal » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:18 am

Thanks for sharing the rules, going to have to sit down and read through them.
metal
Long live Mystara
"I'll fire aimlessly if you don't come out!"
metal
Stone Giant

Postby Peter » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:51 am

UPDATE!

Added Mutant Animal and Riddles.
Last edited by Peter on Sun May 15, 2011 9:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Peter
Gnoll

Postby Philosopher » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:11 am

Once again, thanks for this work, Peter!
- Selman
Philosopher
Cloud Giant

Postby Philosopher » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:48 am

The PDF looks quite nice.
- Selman
Philosopher
Cloud Giant

Postby Peter » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:09 am

Thanks. I'll arrange the text better so sections don't split between pages, when I'm done adding and arranging stuff. I am probably going to change the background colors of the tables to something more colorful, probably blue and tan. I'm also looking into some free chapter header images. Which I've come up empty so far, so i may try to gimp my own.
Peter
Gnoll

Postby rabindranath72 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:13 am

Nice stuff Peter.
Note though that the rules for multiclassing are wrong. They were put out by TLG without any editing checks. The rules were written by Gary Gygax himself, but apparently they got mangled since when asked, Gary said he never intended them to be as written.
The problems are:
1) When advancing a level in a class, only half (or 1/3) of the hit points are gained.
2) A character of levels X/Y/Z is NOT equivalent to a character of levels X+Y+Z.
The progressions are geometric, so the above suggestions are totally wrong.

Essentially, those rules should work as per AD&D 1e.

For a conversion from total level to partial class levels, Gary suggests the following in the DMG:
"Multi-class races are best handled by adding 1 level per profession to the level generated, and then dividing the total by the number of classes involved, counting all fractions as whole numbers."
So, for example, an 8th level character with 2 classes would be equivalent to a character with levels in each class of (8+2)/2=5. If he had three classes, these would be (8+3)/3 = 4 levels in each class.
The problem with these rules is that you should reverse the formula to find the total level (they work by fixing the total level a priori, which is our unknown.)

Another idea could be to use the rules in the 3e conversion booklet. These work as follows:
1. Find the highest level the character has
reached in any class. For example, Escolrande is
an 8th-level fighter/9th-level wizard/9th-level
thief. His highest level is 9.
2. Divide each level the character has
achieved in any other class by the number of classes and round
down. If the result rounds down to 0, record a 1
instead. For example, Escolrande’s remaining
levels are 8 and 9; 8 ÷ 3 = 2.67, which rounds
down to 2, and 9 ÷ 3 = 3.
3. Total the numbers so obtained. So, Escolrande's level would be 14th (definitely NOT 26 as the TLG rules suggest!)
These rules work as a sort of "inversion" of Gary's idea. They work quite well in practice.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Antonio
rabindranath72
White Dragon

Postby Philosopher » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:12 pm

I just took a look at the multiclassing rules in the PDF. They're different from the rules included in the 4th printing PHB (which are also different from what rabindranath suggests). Peter, will you be including the official multiclass and class-and-a-half rules?
- Selman
Philosopher
Cloud Giant

Postby cab » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:30 pm

I can't stress enough how awesome that is. Once indexed and numbered, it'll be more awesome again. Cracking work.
cab
Storm Giant

Postby Peter » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:50 pm

Thank you rabindranath for pointing that out. I'll add that to my TOFIX list. I have a few more additions and modifications to take care of, than I'll fix that and the Sanity section.

I just took a look at the multiclassing rules in the PDF. They're different from the rules included in the 4th printing PHB (which are also different from what rabindranath suggests). Peter, will you be including the official multiclass and class-and-a-half rules?

I'd like to add those rules, along with the new Illusionist spells in the 4th printing, but I don't own a 4th printing. I'm working from a 3rd printing with official and unofficial errata. I can't see buying the new printing for a few things and than never using it again (I plan on gaming using this document). If someone here owns one and would like to type it out, I'd be glad to insert them into this document.

I can't stress enough how awesome that is. Once indexed and numbered, it'll be more awesome again. Cracking work.

It is indexed (except for the spells, which I'm going to do once I rearrange them by class).
I thought about page numbers, but the point of this document is to be ever expanding. I'd have to change the references to them every time I add something. There only seems to be a couple references to page numbers (I'll have to change them to reference the section instead). The bookmarks are better anyways, they can also be used in OpenOffice by hitting F5 and in Office 2010 by default, they pop up in the side bar.
Peter
Gnoll

Postby rabindranath72 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:15 pm

Philosopher wrote:I just took a look at the multiclassing rules in the PDF. They're different from the rules included in the 4th printing PHB (which are also different from what rabindranath suggests). Peter, will you be including the official multiclass and class-and-a-half rules?

Which pdf has multiclassing rules? There was supposed to be a freebie with the corrected multiclassing and dualclassing rules after I spotted the error and Gary confirmed it, but I don't know if it was ever issued.

@Peter: Note that some multiclassing rules have been published in Crusader Magazine; not sure if these are one of the two methods in the new edition. One of these methods is the "class and half" which I have found on a pdf publicly available (I think it was from Barrataria Games or some such.)

Watch out for spells from OSRIC; I am not sure OSRIC has been written under the OGL.
rabindranath72
White Dragon

Postby Peter » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:09 pm

The ones in Crusader Magazines that i know of is in issue #4: Multi-classing Guidelines and Characters With More Class. They are OGC, I just didn't bother adding them because I already had Gary's in. But hey, why not, I'll stick them in the document too.

The terms “OSRIC,” “OSRIC,” and “O.S.R.I.C.” are Product Identity and trade-marks; all artwork and formatting is Product Identity. The Variable Experience Point Rule on p.118 is Product Identity. Aside from the previous two sentences, Chapters I, II and III of this work are Open Game Content. Chapters IV, V and VI are Product Identity to the extent permitted under the OGL and to the ex-tent such material is subject to copyright, except for any text language derived from the SRD or the Tome of Horrors, which is Open Game Content.

Spells are under Chapter II
Peter
Gnoll

Postby Philosopher » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:18 pm

rabindranath72 wrote:Which pdf has multiclassing rules?

Sorry, I wasn't clear; I was referring to the document Peter posted.
- Selman
Philosopher
Cloud Giant

Postby rabindranath72 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:09 pm

I will post the class and half rules later (from the free pdf I found online). I suppose the Crusader rules are the same that ended in the latest PHB edition.
rabindranath72
White Dragon

Postby Peter » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:25 pm

By free, do you mean OGL, Public Domain, Creative Commons or some other free License?
Peter
Gnoll

Postby Peter » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:20 pm

I add the 2 Multiclass methods from Crusader #4. You can find them under MULTICLASSING (Method 2) and MULTICLASSING (Method 3). Do either of these look like the ones in the 4th printing?

I'll go ahead and try to fix Gary's Multiclassing rules.

@rabindranath72

When advancing a level in a class, only half (or 1/3) of the hit points are gained.

All experience points are divided up equally amongst the classes chosen for the character. For example, if a fighter/thief were to receive 250 experience points, 125 is applied to the fighter class and 125 to the thief class. All fractions are dropped.

What's wrong with dividing the exp equally? I never played AD&D1. I went from D&D to AD&D2. And as far as i remember AD&D2 did it this way. How did AD&D1 divide it?

So, for example, an 8th level character with 2 classes would be equivalent to a character with levels in each class of (8+2)/2=5. If he had three classes, these would be (8+3)/3 = 4 levels in each class.
The problem with these rules is that you should reverse the formula to find the total level (they work by fixing the total level a priori, which is our unknown.)

You say the formula should be reversed. So for a 2 class 4/4 player's level it should be 2/(8+2) = 0.2 ?
Last edited by Peter on Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Peter
Gnoll

Next

Return to Castles & Crusades