Crusader's Companion

Discuss Troll Lord Game's rules set here.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

Re: C&C Rules Compilation

Postby Boddynock » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:52 pm

I figured I was kind of beating a dead horse by mentioning the table. Top notch stuff! The tables you did use seem to ape 4th edition which along with the appearance of the sorcerer you seem to be like any good mad scientist trying to create the ultimate Rosetta stone edition.
Check out my blog http://boddynock-te.blogspot.com/

Support your local gnome!

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path
Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Postby Peter » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:14 pm

The colors of the tables may change slightly later on. My monitor is half broke, so the hue and brightness of them may not look as I intended. The sorcerer is by Colin Chapman. I'm more interest in adding AD&D 2E type stuff, but I'll add any C&C material that is OGC that I can find and convert anything in D&D 3E that catches my interest (as long as it's available in the SRD, or under the OGL).
Peter
Gnoll

Postby Peter » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:19 pm

Update

All the spell charts are in!

Some of the newer spells didn't have short descriptions included, so at some point I'll have to write them up.

Added 9 Monsters by Colin Chapman.
Last edited by Peter on Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
Gnoll

Postby Peter » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:04 am

Update

Schools for all the spells are in.
Added headings for all the spells, so now they'll show up in the index.
Spell descriptors are done.
Added alternate rolling methods.
Added a few more races, sorted the existing ones.
Added some more classes.
Reformatted and indexed all the magical items. (Everything indexable should be indexed now)
Added another Drow and more Demons and Devils by Kris Keen.
Last edited by Peter on Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
Gnoll

Postby Peter » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:56 pm

Updates

I been proofreading and fixing a lot of typos and such. It still needs more tho.
Filled in the Planes section with the planes from the SRD.
Filled in the Names section with name generators from Ultimate NPCs.
Added the Onomancer class from Gary Gygax's Extraordinary Book of Names.
Last edited by Peter on Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
Gnoll

Postby Peter » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:02 am

Updates

Added the Shaman class by Todd Pote.
Added the Ultraist class (inspired by Gary Gygax's Ultimist class).
Added the Demonurgist class from Gary Gygax's Necropolis.
Added an Airships chapter from Bastion Presses's Airships (conversion still in progress).
Added some spells from the SRD.
Fixed lots of typos and conversion biffs.
Last edited by Peter on Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Peter
Gnoll

Postby Boddynock » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:12 pm

I'm slightly bit scared to download and look at such a monolith of a pdf, but I'll try it anyway! : D

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path
Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Postby Peter » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:04 pm

Ya, it is a bit bulky :P If you use the bookmarks on the left side, it makes browsing much easier. I'm not going to be able to add anything else big to it, because OpenOffice is starting to randomly choke when i export. I must of found it's limits. So I'm just going to fix what's in there, and call it a day.
Peter
Gnoll

Postby Angel Tarragon » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:56 pm

Peter wrote:Ya, it is a bit bulky :P If you use the bookmarks on the left side, it makes browsing much easier. I'm not going to be able to add anything else big to it, because OpenOffice is starting to randomly choke when i export. I must of found it's limits. So I'm just going to fix what's in there, and call it a day.

Have you thought of splitting the document in two? One for core material and another for supplemental material.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Peter » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:16 pm

Ya, I thought about it and actually did it awhile back, but it seems there are a few people (including myself) liking it combined. I may have to tho, as I know I'll be wanting to add more and more.
Peter
Gnoll

Postby Boddynock » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:39 pm

Might have to, so as to spare the lives of those poor personal printers.

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Postby Peter » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:51 pm

Ya true, I don't think I'm going to split it tho. The way it is setup now, is to flow like a complete player's/gm's book. If i put only official material in one document, it'll be missing a bunch of stuff due to some material not being OGC. Which I replaced and expanded upon in this document. So if I moved the replaced/expanded material to the official material, than it would no longer be all official material. Which than leaves the supplemental document, looking incomplete. Unless I merge in some stuff from the official to make it flow correctly. But than i end up with 2 fat documents with duplicate material.
Last edited by Peter on Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
Gnoll

Postby Azaghal » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:54 pm

IMHO 2 books is fine if needed, in fact since we are talking page error problems it seems essential.
Sean "Azaghal" Pennington
Azaghal
Green Dragon

Postby Peter » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:29 am

Ok, here's the new plan, 2 documents.

Document #1: Supplemental Material
Document #2: Official Core Rules

The new links are in the first post of this thread.
Last edited by Peter on Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Peter
Gnoll

Postby rabindranath72 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:14 pm

Very nice!

Note that there is an error in the Track ability of Rangers; the skills gained at 3rd and 5th level should be exchanged (i.e. swap 3rd with 5th.)

Also note that the rules for encumbrance (in the paragraph Worn and Capacity objects) are totally wrong: they have mixed the text of 1st, 2nd and 3rd printing, plus errata, so the final result is an unplayable mess (where the heck was the editor?!?!)
I will let you know the "correct" text (I updated my 2nd printing with errata.)

There should be a table or paragraph describing which shields and helmets can be used by each class.

Table 1.0: Treasure is wrongly formatted (at least as I see it from the .doc file in my Word 2003)
rabindranath72
White Dragon

Postby Peter » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:11 pm

Thank you for pointing those out and the fixes. You've pointed out quite a few bugs so far, so if you drop me a PM with your real name, I'll add you to the acknowledgment section.

Note that there is an error in the Track ability of Rangers; the skills gained at 3rd and 5th level should be exchanged (i.e. swap 3rd with 5th.)

Fixed

Also note that the rules for encumbrance (in the paragraph Worn and Capacity objects) are totally wrong: they have mixed the text of 1st, 2nd and 3rd printing, plus errata, so the final result is an unplayable mess (where the heck was the editor?!?!)
I will let you know the "correct" text (I updated my 2nd printing with errata.)

Thanks. Ya, I would of canned that editor 3 editions ago.

There should be a table or paragraph describing which shields and helmets can be used by each class.

I always assumed only warrior-type classes get to use them. If you have any suggestions on who should get what, I'd gladly add it.

Table 1.0: Treasure is wrongly formatted (at least as I see it from the .doc file in my Word 2003)

Ah, ya i see it. The last Gem column ended up under the next section. I fixed it.
Peter
Gnoll

Postby rabindranath72 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:48 pm

Peter wrote:

I always assumed only warrior-type classes get to use them. If you have any suggestions on who should get what, I'd gladly add it.

In my 2nd print there is a table which shows which helmets and shields are usable by which class (though there is surely at least one typo, i.e. rogues are allowed the pavis shield, but not assassins.) Only the fighter (and knight) can use all shields and helms. The other classes are limited in some ways. But probably this was removed in later printings?

Another note: The unarmed combat rules have been changed in the latest printing; the basic AC is not 15, but it's 12 or 18 depending on the Prime score of the defender (I don't have the books with me now, so I cannot check; I penciled the rules in my 2nd printing from info gleaned on the TLG forums.)
rabindranath72
White Dragon

Postby Peter » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:38 pm

Ah, I see it. I thought it wasn't OGC, that's why it wasn't added. Taking a second look tho it is part of CLASS DESCRIPTION TERMINOLOGY paragraph, which means it is.
Peter
Gnoll

Postby rabindranath72 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:03 pm

I still get the table wrongly formatted in the .doc document.

I see you added the shield and helmets table; I think the Rogue and Assassin entries should be exchanged. There is no reason why rogues should be more proficient than assassins; in AD&D it was the reverse.

In the entry for assassins, the correct word on the poison table should be Effects instead of Affects (I bet this typo is still in the 4th printing; they need a good editor AND a spell-checker; or an editor who knows grammar!)
Also, there is a note (the one with *) which misses its pointer (I suppose it should be the "Cost" column?)

Out of curiosity: what's the GNU licence doing in the text?
rabindranath72
White Dragon

Postby rabindranath72 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:22 pm

This is the correct text for encumbrance (replace the whole paragraph)

WORN AND CAPACITY OBJECTS
The EV for objects assumes that the character is carrying the object. Some objects are instead designed to be worn by the character (clothes, armor, etc.). As such, a character that wears any of these objects would have the EV of the item reduced by 1. Thus, a character that is wearing a suit of padded armor (EV 2 base) would instead count it as an EV of 1 so long as they were wearing the armor. Wearable items are marked with a “W” by their encumbrance value.

Load bearing items have a maximum EV that they can carry. They are also designed to disperse the encumbrance over a larger area, thus reducing the bulk. As such, load–bearing items (such as backpacks, sack, chests, etc.) reduce the total EV of the items inside by 1 for every 2 points (i.e. divide total EV by two, rounding down) of EV contained within. Thus, a character that has a backpack carrying a bedroll (EV 3), hammer (EV 2), 50 nails (EV 1), and one torch (EV 1) would have a total EV for the items of 7. This would be reduced to 3 (7/2 = 3.5, rounded down to 3) and thus make the backpack's total EV 4(w) (EV of 1(w) for the backpack plus the modified EV 3 for the items contained within). Also note that load–bearing items and worn items can reduce the EV of the items to 0, as would be the case of a Small Pouch carrying 1 EV of equipment. One–half of 1 EV, rounding down would be 0 EV, so the EV of the Small Pouch and the item contained within would be 0 EV.
rabindranath72
White Dragon

Postby rabindranath72 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:35 pm

The notes for the objects in the equipment list should be superscript; where more than one note appears, use a "," to separate them (e.g. the belt pouch spell components seems to have as a note "12").
Note also the following:

Bottle, Flask, Holy-Water flask, and Oil flask should have a capacity of 1 pint

I see also in these cases the editor did a crappy job. One more reason to not buy the new printings; I am done with TLG. :evil:
rabindranath72
White Dragon

Postby Peter » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:38 pm

Thank for all the fixes and suggestions, I'll get them in soon.

I still get the table wrongly formatted in the .doc document.

Hmm, can you take a screenshot, so I can see what you mean. It look right to me.

In the entry for assassins, the correct word on the poison table should be Effects instead of Affects (I bet this typo is still in the 4th printing; they need a good editor AND a spell-checker; or an editor who knows grammar!)

I wonder if their editor is a volunteer, because I wouldn't pay for that mess. I got a good excuse for mine, I haven't thoroughly checked it yet :P

Also, there is a note (the one with *) which misses its pointer (I suppose it should be the "Cost" column?)

Oops, ya that was my mistake.

Out of curiosity: what's the GNU licence doing in the text?

I forgot to take it out of the Core Rules. It's in the other documents, because all the images are licensed under the GPL2.
Peter
Gnoll

Postby rabindranath72 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:46 pm

As far as I know, the editor is also the artist, Peter Bradley. Plus they have added at least another person, Christina Stiles. And there is probably someone else. I suppose none of them is a professional, since the two or three of them don't make for one decent working editor. The latest printing of the M&T even lacks the stat blocks for the Shark! That's simply inexcusable; and we are at the 4th printing :evil:
Just look at the job done on Labyrinth Lord or OSRIC or BFRPG, by people who doesn't charge for their job, and doesn't get paid for it.
rabindranath72
White Dragon

Postby rabindranath72 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:48 pm

Herewith the table (on word 2003)
rabindranath72
White Dragon

Postby Peter » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:59 pm

As far as I know, the editor is also the artist, Peter Bradley. Plus they have added at least another person, Christina Stiles. And there is probably someone else. I suppose none of them is a professional, since the two or three of them don't make for one decent working editor. The latest printing of the M&T even lacks the stat blocks for the Shark! That's simply inexcusable; and we are at the 4th printing :evil:
Just look at the job done on Labyrinth Lord or OSRIC or BFRPG, by people who doesn't charge for their job, and doesn't get paid for it.

Wow, that's sad. Ya, I'm not sure about Labyrinth Lord, but OSRIC and BFRPG are well done. Maybe they are not aware that most editing application contain a spell checker, or maybe they don't know how to use it. :P The Shark just goes to show, that they most likely don't even read their own work. If you look threw the Monsters Spell-Like abilities, you should also notice a lot of the spells don't exist in the Player's Handbook. I posted, pointing them out and got a response about C&C being fast and loose :P There is also a magic item missing from a table for the last 2 editions. Oh and some doesn't follow a consistent pattern. Example: Some spells say Level 1 illusionist, and others Level 1 illusion. I fixed those tho.

Herewith the table (on word 2003)

Ya, that is funked up. I just checked the doc instead of the odt, and mine looks like that too. OpenOffice must be biffing it on export. I'll have to manually fix it each export (if the fix stays).
Peter
Gnoll

PreviousNext

Return to Castles & Crusades