Crusader's Companion

Discuss Troll Lord Game's rules set here.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

Re: C&C Rules Compilation

Postby rabindranath72 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:53 am

The problem is not the dividing of XPs. The assumptions that follow are the problem, i.e. that a X/Y/Z levels character is equivalent to a X+Y+Z level character; including the assumption that hit dice are cumulative with the classes.
The inversion of Gary's formula works more or less (i.e. give or take a rounding operations) like the snippet from the 3e conversion book, so you can safely use that method.

As an alternative, you can use the following:
The total character level of a multi-class character equals the level of the highest class plus half the sum of the levels of the remaining classes (rounded down). So a 4th/4th level rogue/fighter is a 6th level character for purposes of saving throws.
rabindranath72
White Dragon

Postby rabindranath72 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:06 am

Note that the fighter ability Combat Dominance has been changed. The current revision requires only 1 HD without specifying the HD type.
rabindranath72
White Dragon

Postby Peter » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:58 pm

Ah, thank you. Both have been fixed.
Last edited by Peter on Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
Gnoll

Postby Philosopher » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:00 pm

Peter wrote:I add the 2 Multiclass methods from Crusader #4. You can find them under MULTICLASSING (Method 2) and MULTICLASSING (Method 3). Do either of these look like the ones in the 4th printing?

Method 2 is the one from the 4th printing. There's a typo I noticed in this section. The last table, just before Method 3, needs some fixing at the bottom (check out the file to see what I mean).

When I have a bit of time, I can type up the class-and-a-half rules for you. Do you know if they're OGC?
- Selman
Philosopher
Cloud Giant

Postby Peter » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:33 pm

Method 2 is the one from the 4th printing. There's a typo I noticed in this section. The last table, just before Method 3, needs some fixing at the bottom (check out the file to see what I mean).

Ah i see the problem, thanks.

When I have a bit of time, I can type up the class-and-a-half rules for you. Do you know if they're OGC?

I'm not sure, depends on what section it's in. If you look in the back of the book under the OGL license under section DESIGNATION OF OPEN GAME CONTENT it should say. If it's not listed in that section, than it's not.
Peter
Gnoll

Postby Philosopher » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:34 pm

Peter wrote:

I'm not sure, depends on what section it's in. If you look in the back of the book under the OGL license under section DESIGNATION OF OPEN GAME CONTENT it should say. If it's not listed in that section, than it's not.

Ah, of course.

Hm... it's not there. However, the page numbers given don't match up with the headings in the 4th printing. Maybe they simply didn't bother updating the license for the new printing. I don't want to make any assumptions, so I'll hold off on typing it up until someone can verify that it's intended as OGC. EDIT: I think I'll register on the TLG forums and ask someone there if they know.
- Selman
Philosopher
Cloud Giant

Postby Peter » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:05 pm

Ya, good call. I'm very careful about making sure the content is OGC. Beware, some people if their are a bit rude. When i posted this there i got a couple of snarky comments.
Last edited by Peter on Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
Gnoll

Postby Peter » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:06 pm

@Philosopher: If you have access to a 4th printing, would you mind typing out the new Illusionist spells?

They are

ANGELIC IMAGE
AWE
CLOAK OF DARK CHAOS
DARK CHAOS
DISPLACED IMAGE
DOUBLED TREASURE
DREAMING
DRAGON ARMOR
DRAGON BITE
DRAGON BREATH
DRAGON IMAGE
DRAGON MARK
DRAGON MOUNT
DRAGON SCALES
DRAGON SHADOW
EYES OF FIRE
FAERIE’S GLAMOUR
HEAD FOG
HUMANOID FINDING
IDOL OF DEATH
ILLUSIONARY HELP
ILLUSIONARY HOUNDS
ILLUSIONARY LIONS
ILLUSIONARY WOLVES
MAJOR DARK CHAOS
MINOR DARK CHAOS
MINOR IMAGE (Updated)
MIRROR WALL
TREASURE HOARD
WARD’S EXTENDED INVISIBILITY
WARD’S ILLUSIONARY PORTAL
WARD’S TEMPORARY STRENGTH
Peter
Gnoll

Postby Philosopher » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:11 pm

Peter wrote:@Philosopher: If you have access to a 4th printing, would you mind typing out the new Illusionist spells?

Sure thing. I'll try to get to this over the next few days.

By the way, I don't see any of the spell lists. Did you leave them out or am I missing something?
- Selman
Philosopher
Cloud Giant

Postby Peter » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:39 pm

Thank you.

I left them out. Soon, I'm going to rearrange the spells by class and add headings for easy finding and browsing.
Last edited by Peter on Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
Gnoll

Postby Philosopher » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:40 am

Peter -

Do you want me to fix typos I come across, or just type it up as it is in the book? I'd rather be conservative about it, because I don't want a misreading on my part to end up changing the meaning of the text, but I thought I'd ask.
- Selman
Philosopher
Cloud Giant

Postby Peter » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:22 am

Go ahead and fix whatever you find that's broke. Whether it's typos, or something that doesn't sound or work right. Because it's going to take me a long time to proofread this entire document myself. I appreciate the help. I'll add you to the 'Contributions' section along with Mike and Dominique when i get around to writing it.
Last edited by Peter on Sun May 22, 2011 8:34 am, edited 6 times in total.
Peter
Gnoll

Postby Philosopher » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:04 am

Peter wrote:Go ahead and fix whatever you find that's broke. Whether it's typos, or something that doesn't sound or work right. Because it's going to take me a long time to proofread this entire document myself. I appreciate the help. I'll add you to the 'Thanks' section along with Mike and Dominique when i get around to writing it.

Ah, if that's the plan, then I'll edit as I go.
- Selman
Philosopher
Cloud Giant

Postby rabindranath72 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:30 pm

The Grey Elf is an alias for Jason Vey.
rabindranath72
White Dragon

Postby Peter » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:54 pm

Ah, the same author as Fate Points, thanks.

Update

Removed Azhar, Crag Gnome, Reaverbane, Siege Cannon (Even tho they are declared as OGC, they are too closely tied to Freeport, which is product identity)
Add interior title page with credits and thanks

EDIT: I decided against rearranging the spells by class/level. It would leave to many duplicate spells, taking up a lot of pages. And I can't do the headings yet for the spells, because OpenOffice doesn't support Run-In Headers yet (it'll put the whole line into the heading, which looks like a mess). So once that feature has been imped, I'll tag the spells for the bookmarks.

So once those Illusionist spells are in; I'll be done with everything on my list that I can do, other than some more spellchecking and a lot of proofreading.

@Philosopher: When you are done with the spells, send me a PM with whatever name you want credited in the Thanks section.
Last edited by Peter on Sun May 15, 2011 9:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
Peter
Gnoll

Postby Peter » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:48 pm

If anyone needs any monster/animal art for their projects, here is a pack of black & white public domain art that I assembled. I was using these till I switched to the GPL color art. Most of the art is from the Pearson Scott Foresman collection on Wikimedia Commons. There is 430 images at 162 megs total.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6141913/Castles ... y%20Art.7z
Peter
Gnoll

Postby Philosopher » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:21 am

Philosopher wrote:
Peter wrote:@Philosopher: If you have access to a 4th printing, would you mind typing out the new Illusionist spells?

Sure thing. I'll try to get to this over the next few days.

And I'm done. I've sent you a PM with my email address so you can contact me directly.
- Selman
Philosopher
Cloud Giant

Postby Peter » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:50 pm

Updates

The new Illusionist spells from the 4th printing are now included. Thanks goes to Selman "Philosopher" Halabi for typing them up and fixing any typos or errors they had.

Added a Pyromancer class. It is inspired from Gary Gygax's Pryologist.
Peter
Gnoll

Postby Philosopher » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:11 pm

Peter wrote:The new Illusionist spells from the 4th printing are now included. Thanks goes to Selman "Philosopher" Halabi for typing them up and fixing any typos or errors they had.

Happy to help!

- Selman
- Selman
Philosopher
Cloud Giant

Postby Angel Tarragon » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:57 pm

Peter wrote:If anyone needs any monster/animal art for their projects, here is a pack of black & white public domain art that I assembled. I was using these till I switched to the GPL color art. Most of the art is from the Pearson Scott Foresman collection on Wikimedia Commons. There is 430 images at 162 megs total.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6141913/Castles ... y%20Art.7z

How am I supposed to open a .7z file in Windows (7)?
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Peter » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:15 pm

Peter
Gnoll

Postby Angel Tarragon » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:22 pm

Peter wrote:http://www.7-zip.org/

Ah-ha! Many thanks.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Peter » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:22 pm

You are welcome.
Peter
Gnoll

Postby Boddynock » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:49 pm

Hey Peter just looked at the newly updated C&C compilation pdf. I really have to say sir you really threw in the kitchen sink. The classes and did you just open up the Complete Book of Humanoids and convert them? Because it really is top notch there are only two things that I believe need to be addressed.

The first, and I understand if this has to be a seperate document or something, but I'd really like to see spell lists for each class. I find it'd be kind of hard for a chronomancer to be able to choose his spells without the long, painstaking task of picking out spells from just alphabetical order spell list. This of course is also a big undertaking, but its something to consider.

Also I noticed the spell Animate Dead, is listed for a wizard and cleric but no Necromancer. Yet Necromancer gets Lesser Animate Dead, am I guessing that's a typo? And I understand if you don't want to edit that typo at this time but what would you recommend Animate Dead be set at? Its 5th level for a wizard I think it'd be 4th for a Necromancer.
Check out my blog http://boddynock-te.blogspot.com/

Support your local gnome!

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path
Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Postby Peter » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:42 pm

The classes and did you just open up the Complete Book of Humanoids and convert them?

Yep, except 2 of them, Pixie and Ogre Mage. I'm not sure if I'm going to do them, as their spell-like abilities are a bit unbalanced with the other races. Some of them are converted from the race handbooks too.

The first, and I understand if this has to be a seperate document or something, but I'd really like to see spell lists for each class. I find it'd be kind of hard for a chronomancer to be able to choose his spells without the long, painstaking task of picking out spells from just alphabetical order spell list. This of course is also a big undertaking, but its something to consider.

I'm working on it, tables are tedious :P

Also I noticed the spell Animate Dead, is listed for a wizard and cleric but no Necromancer. Yet Necromancer gets Lesser Animate Dead, am I guessing that's a typo? And I understand if you don't want to edit that typo at this time but what would you recommend Animate Dead be set at? Its 5th level for a wizard I think it'd be 4th for a Necromancer.

Ah, ya thanks for pointing that out. The Necromancer had Greater Animate Dead, which is the same as regular Animate dead. I had forgot to add him to that spell. I'll fix it right now, as I'm about to post an update.

Update
Added in Colin Chapman's stuff from Colin Sez
Peter
Gnoll

PreviousNext

Return to Castles & Crusades