Campaign Worlds?

Discuss Troll Lord Game's rules set here.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Campaign Worlds?

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:00 pm

I'm well aware of Aihrde, but am curious if there are any other settings in print that support C&C?

Peter
Gnoll

Re: Campaign Worlds?

Post by Peter » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:40 am

Castle Zagyg, The Haunted Highlands, Freeport, The Keepers of Lingusia, and Wilderlands of High Adventure. There is also Harvesters, StarSIEGE and Tainted Lands, which use the SIEGE engine, but are full games.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon May 30, 2016 3:16 pm

Peter wrote:Castle Zagyg, The Haunted Highlands, Freeport, The Keepers of Lingusia, and Wilderlands of High Adventure. There is also Harvesters, StarSIEGE and Tainted Lands, which use the SIEGE engine, but are full games.
How much support does each one of these settings get?

(I would mostly be interested in Castle Zagyg to use with Greyhawk.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Buttmonkey
Orc

Post by Buttmonkey » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:14 pm

The Wilderlands of High Adventure line is dead.

Haunted Highlands has quite a bit of material available for it. I don't know how "supported" it is since I don't use it and haven't paid a lot of attention to that sort of thing. The big push over the last year or so has been to get the Codex of Airhde out the door. People still post on the TLG boards about HH periodically, so the setting is very much alive although TLG's focus has been pointed in another direction lately.

I've never heard of Keepers of Lingusia.

I'm pretty sure Freeport is a third party product that has been released for several RPGs. I don't know to what extent it is currently supported.

Castle Zagyg is long dead. Gail yanked the license from TLG shortly after Gary's death. She initially announced she had plans for releasing Gary's IP, but nothing has come out since the unsold stock of Castle Zagyg materials was destroyed. Rob Kuntz has talked about releasing his materials for Castle Greyhawk, but I haven't heard anything on that front in a long time. (Note: I don't read Rob's blog, so I may be woefully ignorant of his current publication plans). I believe Black Blade Publishing has been releasing Rob's material. I'd suggest checking the Black Blade website (and Rob's blog) for the latest news.

I've heard mutterings around the Troll boards about a possible rerelease of Tainted Lands with errata fixes, but I haven't heard anything definite.

None of these settings gets support close to Aihrde other than Haunted Highlands.

TLG has also released a couple city setting books that could be inserted just about anywhere, including Bluffside: City on the Edge and the Free City of Eskadia. I believe Bluffside is a 3E product updated for C&C. I have both, but have only dug into Bluffside. It has a lot of good stuff in it. I doubt I would ever run Bluffside as-is, but there is a lot of great content worth snagging for incorporation in home-brew cities.

TLG has released several modules that are Norse-themed to go with its Codex Nordica. I don't have those modules, so I don't know if they are technically set in Airhde versus a generic Nordic region that would fit into any cold spot on a campaign map.

Buttmonkey
Orc

Post by Buttmonkey » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:17 pm

Star Siege is basically dead at the moment. I don't think it's received any support in years. People still talk about it on the TLG boards, though.

I believe Harvesters is in a similar boat. I don't see any Harvesters products available at the TLG online store beyond the core rules.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:40 pm

Buttmonkey wrote:Castle Zagyg is long dead. Gail yanked the license from TLG shortly after Gary's death. She initially announced she had plans for releasing Gary's IP, but nothing has come out since the unsold stock of Castle Zagyg materials was destroyed.
Wait! Unsold copies of Gary Gygax's work were actually destroyed??? :o
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Buttmonkey
Orc

Post by Buttmonkey » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:02 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Buttmonkey wrote:Castle Zagyg is long dead. Gail yanked the license from TLG shortly after Gary's death. She initially announced she had plans for releasing Gary's IP, but nothing has come out since the unsold stock of Castle Zagyg materials was destroyed.
Oh, yeah. Gail canceled the license with extreme prejudice. I recall in particular that a bunch of shrink-wrapped sets of the core Lejendary Adventures books were introduced to the dumpster.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:58 pm

Buttmonkey wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
Oh, yeah. Gail canceled the license with extreme prejudice. I recall in particular that a bunch of shrink-wrapped sets of the core Lejendary Adventures books were introduced to the dumpster.
;( ;( ;(

Buttmonkey
Orc

Post by Buttmonkey » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:44 pm

I dug up this old thread from the TLG forums announcing Gail had yanked all of the licenses for Gary's IP with a drop dead date of December 31, 2008 to sell or destroy. I can't remember whether any Upper Works box sets were unsold and therefore shredded at the end of 2008, but I'm pretty sure I've read things over the last 7.5 years implying the Trolls had copies in stock when the ball dropped at the end of 2008. Gary's partner on Lejendary Adventures blogged or posted about destroying lots of LA stock at the end of 2008. I'd dig around some more for confirmation on whether the Trolls had to destroy Zagyg product, but it's frankly depressing looking at those old posts. What a waste with nothing to show for it. :-(

Return to “Castles & Crusades”